Waggener High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 783 students

Posted September 27, 2013

Good students come from great parenting. Judgment of how well a school preforms should not be directed only toward the teacher and staff but the :PARENTS and STUDENTS. I believe that Waggener offers a lot if you have the will to learn. I have a freshman attending Waggener that has her future already planed and is volunteering at Baptist Health. The medical program at Waggener is a hand up for the students. They can graduate with a CNA certification if the student has the will to make a difference in their life. Every student needs a great parent, Parents Please don't give up on your child, let them know that they can make a change for the better.

Posted August 28, 2013

By far the most caring school in JCPS. I have never seen a faculty as supportive and caring as they have at Waggener. The new leadership has really turned the school around!

Posted August 27, 2013

Probably the WORST school in JCPS! The leadership SUCKED when my child was there! Thankfully, she came to me and begged to transfer to another school where she excelled. This school should be shut down!

Posted August 17, 2013

This school has some very caring teachers. Small size for a public school. Would not want my children anywhere else.

Posted July 31, 2013

I like this school! We have gone through major changes in the past 2-3 years! Its been great! I feel I have succeeded in my ap/advanced classes also in many leadership programs through my awesome councilors. The people are great too; when you figure out how to fit in with them...but overall Its been a great couple of years!

Posted June 28, 2013

Im a previous student from waggener ; went there for 2 years !! Waggener is NOT a bad school. Never judge a place by what you see on the internet !!! I don't regret anything I did/ACCOMPLISHED at waggener high school !! If a student wants to suceed , then they will !; You're given an education at waggener ; what you do with it is up to them ! They Make Us " COLLEGE & CAREER READY ONE WILDCAT AT A TIME , LETS MAKE IT A GREAT DAY WAGGENER !! #WaggenerProud

Posted August 10, 2010

I strongly regret attending this school. I did not learn one thing. In fact I feel like I came out of Waggener dumber. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone. It just gets worse and worse each year.

Posted March 1, 2010

great school good teachers im there alot myself and i think they made some improvements and the school has some problem but overall i sent my kids there

Posted February 26, 2010

My daughter was in US History with a bunch of Juniors because her previous school taught history in a different order apparently. Their 'big project' was to write a feature article about an important historical figure for their portfolio (which of course I didn't have yet). So she wrote my article about Frederick Douglass. So her Teacher calls me while I am at work one day and tells me about a sentence from her article in his Google search bar with no results.. he called me to *congratulate* me for having a kid that did the work in her own words. Sometime during the last month she got a progress report; she had an A, she was at the top of the class of juniors. From what I'm told its like this around the whole school. Glad we dont have to deal with Waggener any more!

Posted February 25, 2010

I hated how the kids were so disrespectful and immature, which resulted to teachers and students who really wanted to learn lose intrest in what mattered most, our education. It was more of a day care center and im not blaming it all on the kids because as an adult the teachers should want to make a diffrence but they ...seem as if they lost all hope in their own sucess so how could we suceed? the best thing they have goin is the program for special needs children and isap.

Posted February 25, 2010

My child went to Waggener for two years. Two years too many. I would not even send a dog to Waggener. The leadership is lacking so badly that the daycare children might proove to be better leaders than the ones that are in right now. The students run around as if its anarchy, and the teachers are either frightened of the students or encourage their bad behavior. I say we shut this school down!

Posted February 25, 2010

I taught there for five years. That was the worst five years of my life. Now I teach at Central High School which is a great school by the way. I felt there was nothing I could do with these kids. I just gave up on Waggener. I almost gave up on teaching altogether but leaving Waggener was probably one of the best choices I ever made. Note to parents and potential incoming students: look into other schools, Waggener is not the choice you should make especially since they wont have any programs there after a year and they have such horrible extracuricular activities and sports teams its as if no effort was put into forming them.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 12, 2009

We have only been in school for three weeks and I already love it. This year they have a new thing for freshmen, it is a Freshmen Academy, where the 9th grade students all share one hall. This is to help them get to know their graduating class and give them more attention from the teachers. It is great and I really like it. I am a freshmen and I already have a lot of friends that are upperclassmen, I am on the volleyball team and that gives me an opportunity to get to know other people. If you aren't involved in your school then you won't like it.

Posted April 26, 2009

I love waggener. The teachers are awsome and grate! I am going to miss my school. Students just like to complain, because that there are teachers there that will inforce the rules so the get in trouble but god forbid it is their fault. There is those few kids who think they should get in A for sleeping or talking, but besides for those few few students this school is really great.

Posted February 19, 2009

This school is terrible. I was more academically challenged in middle school than i am here. There is a only a handfull of competent teachers and the student body as a whole is unmotivated and misbehaved. The reason behind this is the majority of the teachers are complete pushovers and there is never any real consequences for misbehavior. I seriously doubt that I will be prepared for college when i graduate.

Posted December 20, 2008

Besides the principal, this is a great school.

Posted September 27, 2008

Hey! I'm a new senior at Waggener.... My first year here, and I love it!!!!! The teachers really make you feel like they want to teach you and that they care about you! It's the first time I felt like the teachers were happy to see me! It is easy to get involved in sports and clubs, and the students are so welcoming! I love it

Posted August 4, 2008

this school has been awesome dont let the reviews fool you there are just students and parents who dislike it cause they dont fit in or are miserable but not because of the school but of how well the school is and strict and its basically teens being teens they dont want stability they want to do as they please and that wont happen but once they are out of high school they will realize that waggener was a great place

Posted January 29, 2006

As a current staff member of Waggener, I would like to address the lack of leadership. We have had 3 principals in 6 years. However, our state scores have increased significantly over these years. Also, the school could always use more parental involvement. It seems the older the kids, the less the parents are around. Plus, I'd like to add we are dealing with a very diverse population. Over 20% of the student body is ESL, over 10% is Special Needs and a huge proportion are getting public assistance- no matter their color or creed. So if the child can behave and the parent is involved, there is a strong chance your child will get a very good education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 13, 2005

I have been familiar with Waggener for the past two years, with two children attending. While I will concede a previous reviewer's points regarding dismay at a lack of dress code enforcement (not uniforms), I have noted that the efforts towards academic excellence have been exceptional. My children are receiving a quality education, comparable, if not better, to that received in the private sector during their elementary and middle school years. The teaching staff appears dedicated, interested, and competent. The administration, having changed in the last year, may need a bit more time to work out policies, but administrative staff is always cooperative and concerned. I do have to comment that disciplinary actions seem a bit more lax this year. However, having witnessed a crisis in the school , I saw quick action and care for the kids. Waggener is exceptional! As for parents, get involved! Opportunity is there.

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 51% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 36% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Mechanics

White59%
Economically disadvantaged55%
Students with disabilities7%

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 41% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 41% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 36% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 36% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 56% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 51% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky administered the End-of-Course (EOC) assessments. EOCs are tests given to public high school students when they complete a course to assess their knowledge of important course concepts. They are similar to a final exam, except that they are created and scored by an outside testing company, ensuring that the tests are both rigorous and aligned with state and national college readiness standards.

Algebra II

White58%
Economically disadvantaged27%
Students with disabilitiesn/a

Source: Kentucky Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20141What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20142What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20143What's this?

State

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 K-PREP and EOC results from the Kentucky Department of Education.

2 This rating is based 2012-13 median growth percentiles from the Kentucky Department of Education.

3 This rating is based on average composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 65%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

330 South Hubbards Ln