Posted October 17, 2014
All 3 of my children have attended Bates. We have had such an amazing experience with our school family. They have it all: chorus, band, orchestra, hand bells, cross country, basketball, soccer, cheerleading, book club, quick recall, robotics, school plays, school mascot. They have strong academics as well as a focus on developing our kids to be good citizens. Their teachers are great and invested in the school. We have many kiddos of the teachers attending our school. Definitely a school family. I have a child in 3rd grade, and my other 2 have moved on to middle school, in 6th and 8th. My older children were very well prepared to move on to middle school, being able to test into AP and gifted and talented. I attribute their success to the solid foundation they received at Bates. There are so many events and opportunities to be involved in the Bates school community. They have: a walkathon, back to school bash, hot dogs with dads, grandparents day celebration, veterans day ceremony, movies w/ mom, treat and eat night, thanksgiving family luncheon, book fairs, skate nights, storytime with santa, dances. With 550 students, this is a great, small, community school.

Posted September 18, 2014
This school is the best. we have home work everyday.all these bad comments are untrue. fern creek is no better. we have the a.p.

Posted August 27, 2014
We have 2 children, both of which attended/are attending Bates Elementary. We prayed a lot and researched several schools, public and private, before our oldest child started Kindergarten a few years ago. The teachers and staff were/are so welcoming and open to the involvement of family that we have been able to be a part of both our children's educational pathways. You won't find administration and staff more caring and concerned for your child's education and safety anywhere than you will find at Bates. I thank God every day for bringing us to Bates. After 6 years of academic instruction at Bates, our son was accepted into an AP STEM program. He was chosen to participate in Duke University's 7th grade talent search program, and was invited to participate in 3 summer studies offered by Duke, a summer program for junior scholars in Washington, DC, and an advanced Math and Science summer study at WKU. He is excelling greatly in his academic studies and we are very proud to say that his academic career began at Bates Elementary. Our daughter is in her third year at Bates and we have no doubts that she will reach great heights in her academic ability as well.

Bates Elementary School 4

Posted April 28, 2014
I absolutely love this school , my nephew attended Bates K-5 and my Grandaughter is now enrolled there ! The teachers are very attentive toward the students and keep you informed in your child's progress . The ratio teacher per student is good . My granddaughter is reading above her grade level and loves going to school ! Grandparent

Posted February 05, 2013
My child is a student at Bates Elementary and I could not be happier with the education he is receiveing. As a school administrator in another district I have decent knowledge on what makes a school great, and Bates definitely measures up. The teachers my son has had are top notch, engaging and dedicated to their jobs. My son is reading and doing math above grade level and actually loves going to school each day. I'm aware that there is some change in leadership going on right now that will only improve an already great school. There is a "tight knit" feeling to Bates that reminds me of the expereince I had growing up in a Catholic school, and parent involvement is very high. My top priority is that my child is in a caring school, and in all of my expereince in various schools around the district and in other districts, Bates by far tops the list in that respect. It is a shame that disgruntled parents use this website to rant. To prospective parents- take a tour of Bates and see for yourself. You wont be disappointed.

Posted February 05, 2013
Bates Elementary is an excellent school. My child's teacher is wonderful. She communicates with us, brings out the most creative thinking in my child and truly cares for my child. There are so many extra curricular activities. My child has been on cross country, played hand bells and sang in the choir. I am always welcomed and the administration makes sure my child is safe. I highly recommend Bates.

Posted July 31, 2012
This school is horrible. My son goes there. Last year was the worst. My son constantly came home to tell me that part of his lunch was stolen and nothing was ever done about it. A kid brought a pocket knife to school and my husband talked to the principal about it, but of course nothing was done. My son scored into advanced placement for the fourth grade, but because he was unable to print an assignment in computer class he was given an incomplete and is now returning to Bates another year. When I found out I was devastated. Hopefully he will place into a better school next year.

Posted July 06, 2012
I have been to this school before on many occasions as two of my grandchildren unfortunately attend there. EVERY single time i have been there it amazes me how students of all grades just meander, (more like run wild), about the hallways, and I am thinking to myself, "Should you not be in a class? These CHILDREN have no discipline whatsoever at this school, as the rooms are very loud and chaotic; I don t know how the teachers teach. I don t see how the principal at that school continues to work there, and she lets the students behave the way they do. My grandchildren see fights daily and disrespectful students are a way of life unfortunately for Bates Elementary School, and the teachers who try to work there. I am surprised they are learning anything; luckily, my daughter works with them at home and have already looked into private schools for this coming school year. Thankfully, I am quite confident my grandchildren will not be back as I will be helping her with the tuition.

Bates Elementary School 4

Posted April 04, 2012
After a long appeal process of trying to get my kindergartener into a decent school (she got placed in an area B school) we got placed at Bates and I have to admit I wasn't too excited about it but we decided to give it a try. We have been very pleased with the school and our daughter has learned a tremendous amount in her first year at school. She is reading above grade level, her handwriting has improved tremendously, is learning addition and subtraction, and gets an appropriate amount of homework Monday-Thursday. I have also been happy that Bates is very accessible for children with disabilities as my daughter has learned to be a helper and friend to children who might not have the same abilities as her--an invaluable lesson in my opinion. I can't comment on leadership and unfortunately with younger kids at home I have not been involved in helping at the school but I do know that my daughter is happy and thriving.

Posted August 16, 2011
I have to say I agree with the majority of the posts on here that say Bates is NOT a very good school. It is such a shame, but the leadership is SORELY lacking. That is all I have to say on the subject. I can see DAILY why these poor parents are upset. Maybe things will change when the "leadership" steps down. You can NOT run a school effectively by sitting in an office all day.

Bates Elementary School
7601 Bardstown Rd, Louisville, KY  40291
Last modified Bates Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bates Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top