Westport Middle School

Public | PK, 6-8 | 843 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 24, 2014

This school is a disgrace to the east end of Louisville's reputation of safety, hard work and quality. To be located in such a nice community and deliver such low ratings year after year is beyond disappointing.

Posted January 26, 2014

Westport's Montessori program has been a perfect fit for my ADHD child. He has more time and peer support in completing his work. The counselor there is WONDERFUL and does a great job in keeping contact with my child, his teachers and me. If he is struggling and his teachers cannot get him on task, they will contact me that day, so I can quickly help work through the situation with my child and the school.

Posted December 16, 2013

I teach at Westport and I LOVE it. The administration and teachers are competent, student-centered, caring and dynamic. I look forward to coming to work every day, because the culture here is so positive. I have worked in other schools, and I honestly believe that our teachers here could compete with any teachers nationally. This is a great place to work, and if I had middle-school-aged kids, I would DEFINITELY send them here to the Montessori program, though all the teachers are outstanding.

Posted October 28, 2013

My daughter started at WMS Montessori this year after 6 years at a private school and we have been very pleased with her teachers and the administration at WMS. I knew the previous reputation WMS had but was excited for my daughter to go here with all the improvements they've made. We've loved every minute and look forward to the years to come. The teachers are very involved and really get to know the kids. You see the AP and the P all over the school and at events both at school and in town. It has been very reassuring to come from a small school to this community.

Posted October 2, 2013

Westport is improving, even from last year. Our experience has been with the Montessori program. In the 8th grade especially, I have been really impressed with my son's teachers and the administration in general. They are organized and excellent at keeping my son on track. Weekly newsletters are sent out via email and questions or concerns are dealth with quickly. I feel like if there is a problem, I will know about it. Communication is so vital to the success of the student AND the school, and these teachers get it. Keep up the good work!

Posted September 26, 2013

This is not the Westport of 5 years ago. Due to remarkable leadership by Dr. Eddleman and her administrative team, the school has made a 180 degree turn around. The students and staff are excited to be at Westport where classes are centered around real world uses, student choices of projects to cover topics and technology when it encourages higher learning and exploration of school topics.

Posted September 19, 2013

I am very impressed with the Montessori program at Westport Middle School. The teachers are efficient, interesting and make learning fun for the students. I would highly recommend the Montessori program to anyone who is interested in sending their child to Westport Middle School.

Posted September 16, 2013

My son has been at Westport for 2 years now, in the Montessori Program and we LOVE it!!!

Posted September 11, 2013

My son has been a student at Westport since he was in the sixth grade. Now he is in the eighth grade and the time has just flown by. I have been since day one so impressed with the teachers and the administration at the school. They are top notch!!!! We have watched Westport go through a lot of positive changes in our time there. This being our last year makes both my son and myself very sad. We don't want to go. I would encourage any perspective student and parent to come in and visit us. You will like what you see!!!!!

Posted September 11, 2013

My son is new to Westport Middle School this year. He is in the 6th grade Montessorri Program and it has been a wonderful experience so far. He has ADHD and this setting seems to be a perfect match for him. He was not very happy in Elementary in over structured classes where every child had to do the same thing all the time. He LOVES school now. Also, the teachers and administrator's are very responsive and welcoming. 's

Posted September 11, 2013

I have taught at Westport for four years and I love my job! Our students and staff are wonderful! Five stars!

Posted September 11, 2013

Westport Middle school has been a dream for my 7th grade son! He is in the Montessorri program, and he is so happy there he had my kindergartner wishing that HE was in 7th grade instead of kindergarten. The administration and teachers are the best of the best, and I mean that without exaggeration. Westport still has a significant "At risk" population, so they are not going to the top school in the city anytime soon, but when you walk through the school and watch and listen and then see the kind of love of learning they are instilling in their students--even the "hard" ones, you can't help but be impressed by this place. I would recommend it to anyone. The principal and her support/counseling staff are also excellent. My son is quite gifted, and they have kept him challenged and engaged. My daughter is special needs and I will send her there too. They seem to do it ALL right.

Posted September 10, 2013

Westport Middle School ROCKS!!! My oldest went through 3 years at this school and was fully prepared for high school this year. My middle is an 8th grader and she has blossomed and grown as a student due to the Montessori program. They have given her the time and attention needed so she will be prepared for high school too. My youngest just started but she is already coming home with something exciting to tell me each day about what she learned and what is coming up. This school is very well rounded with many strengths. The teachers and staff are caring and supportive and want to see the students succeed, the list of extra-curricular activities is so long that any child can find their niche, the athletics/coaches have all been very positive experience for us too, and the best part is the school/staff/coaches make is very affordable to "try" new things. Over the past 3 years years my kids have participated in 9 sports and/or extra activity clubs and my wallet is mostly intact. Middle School can be daunting to some but the atmosphere here has been so welcoming to my family as well as responsive to any concerns that we have brought to their attention. We highly recommend Westport!

Posted September 10, 2013

This school has come a LONG way in a short period of time due to Westport's fearless leader, Dr. Staci Eddleman and her dream team of teachers and staff. My daughter has had the best experiences there. I, as a parent, have too. This middle school is warm, nurturing and welcoming to students and their families. The Montessori program is OUTSTANDING! There are so many things for students to get involved in too extracurricular wise. Academically, the students are held to very high standards. If a student is in need of additional help, it's there for them......FREE of charge. Many teachers stay after school to tutor any child who needs it. Communication from teachers/administration to parents is fantastic. I HIGHLY recomnend you check this school out. So many great things going on there!!!!!

Posted September 10, 2013

This is my third experience with a middle school (and my third child) and I have never had such a wonderful middle school experience. The warm, welcoming atmosphere is a plus, but what sold me on the school was the positive, enthusiastic staff. These teachers seem genuinely excited about teaching! The approach to teaching at Westport caters to each student and their individual needs - I haven't seen that anywhere else in the county. My student actually looks forward to going to school to see what the next day will bring. There is such a love of learning at Westport!

Posted August 29, 2013

My son attends WMS Montessori program and I must tell you he's had a wonderful experience day one! Dr. Edelman is absolutly what this school needed fundamentally and academically! Belive me my child has had successful outcomes at Westport even when I tried to keeping him from going. Stay involved and be active in what your child do! It's not what your child's school can do for your child... But what you can do for your child to make their experience in school benefit them!

Posted August 17, 2012

I am a former student of Westport Middle School. The negative reviews made long ago were unfortunately true. In the 6th grade, I was constantly bullied and that unfortunately sucked. That all changed in the 7th grade, where they hired new teachers, counselors, and assistant principals. I still didn't feel welcome. By the 8th grade, it was amazing! I love Westport, I'll miss it. I got extremely good grades and I was placed in the advanced placement program. Back in the 6th grade, NO! The teachers didn't care. Those that didn't care were SCRAPPED and replaced with ones that did. Westport does NOT take bullying too kindly. To the newest response, they do offer tutoring called Superstar Saturday which happens every other Saturday. Scores have definitely jumped up because of it. I used to get Cs, Ds, and Us, but thanks to Superstar Saturday I got All As! At Westport, there aren't as many students as there is in Kammerer or Crosby which helps in the Teacher-Student ratio. There I actually felt like a student and they were dedicated to teaching me. If you're not looking forward to Westport, you should! Westport is full of teachers that care and if you explain an issue, they'll solve it.

Posted August 12, 2012

My son is going into his second year at Westport Road. I do not feel as if he is ready for the seventh grade. He almost failed social Studies and Science. He barely passed English because he was not turning in his homework on time or he would lose it. The teachers and staff do not handle bullying in the school very well. Every day I hear that somebody had a fight in or around the school building. My son got bullied and name called all year round. He got in trouble at times for only taking up for himself. My son was only trying to make friends and classmates were mean to him. He is not learning at the school. They only grade students for actually doing and turning in work put are not grading them on their work performance. Students need to know what they are doing wrong so they can correct it and learn from it. I know that Westport Middle School hosts a lot of fundraisers for school supplies and what ever else is needed for the school, but yet they don't have enough text books at the school for them to study with. The school does not offer Summer School. It is not fair that the school only offers free tutoring once a year.

Posted February 17, 2012

I will be the first person to admit that I fought tooth and nail to keep my daughter out of this school....and boy am I glad I stopped the fight. My daughter is in their Montessori program and has simply exploded as a student, athlete and on a personal level. Dr. Eddleman and her outstanding team of teachers and administrators have what it takes to make this school a top notch program. The athletics and after school clubs are right there with Kammerer. They also have a full time Athletic Director for the first time! This is their first year offering the Montessori Magnet and it has been out of this world! I challenge each of you to please come and tour and talk to teachers and Dr. Eddleman. I assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised! Please don't buy into the negative hype! I have been beyond impressed in how far this school has come in such a short period of time....a true testament to their leader, Dr. Staci Eddleman.

Posted May 4, 2010

While there may be some teachers that really do care, they are far out-numbered by ones that do not. My child went from being an A/B student to being a D/F student. I have always felt my children were getting a good education in JCPS, not anymore. These children have no structure at this school. Sixth graders are kissing in the halls, skipping class, and stealing from each other and fighting. I worry each day when I drop my child off that she may slip out and they won't have a clue where she is. If we don't get a transfer there is always home school. This is definately one of the worst schools. I will not be sending my child back for another year.

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 44% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 48% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 52% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 59% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 39% in 2013.

Language Mechanics

Hispanic25%
Students with disabilities8%
English language learners19%

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 60% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 45% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 36% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 36% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 56% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 51% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky administered the End-of-Course (EOC) assessments. EOCs are tests given to public high school students when they complete a course to assess their knowledge of important course concepts. They are similar to a final exam, except that they are created and scored by an outside testing company, ensuring that the tests are both rigorous and aligned with state and national college readiness standards.

Algebra II

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 75%N/A57%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8100 Westport Rd