Louisville, KY
Before care: Yes

Posted April 28, 2014
Caring staff and teachers. I loved that parents/visitors were always welcome. It is a great school.

Posted July 03, 2013
I went to Bowen from kindergarten to 5th grade. I loved it. It had a very family atmosphere. Everyone was supportive of me and my learning. I played basketball at Bowen for 2 years. This helped me to develop as a person and taught me the reality of life. Bowen was a good school, and when I went there we were pushed academically, the teachers and support staff only wanted to see a child succeed. I recommend Bowen for all family's.

Bowen Elementary School 1

Posted May 07, 2012
This school feels like a free babysitter. One of the teachers comments states that the funding is low. A good education can still be received on a low budget, so funding is just an excuse. My son is in 5th grade this year and is FAR behind academically compared to other states. The end of 4th grade they were just learning division, no spelling tests, no book reports, nor were they writing in cursive. The parent review stating there is plenty of academic help, I wonder how it was received, as I have spoken with the principal, counselor and teacher several times to no avail. No tutoring, no encouragement, nothing for my son. We are done with KY schools and will be moving to more positive atmosphere, where my son will succeed! The principal is easy to speak with, but I feel no results will ever occur from our discussions as I haven't seen any in a year. If you want your child to play an instrument, plan on them missing out on what little education they will receive, as lessons are during math time. This school offers very little extra curricular activities.

Posted January 08, 2012
correction: Not a day goes by that i DON'T miss my elementary school teachers, principal, and experiences.

Posted January 20, 2011
Dear 'Nuff said, Greathouse is a "traditional" school that students have to apply to attend and are selected by lottery. It's interesting how they always seem to take our AP students, not our regular students. When students have behavior issues at Greathouse, they are sent to other schools. Regular public schools like Bowen are not able to do that. Compare the free and reduced lunch % of students at Greathouse to Bowen. If Bowen had less than 10% free and reduced lunch, if students didn't come from all over the community, our scores would be better.

Bowen Elementary School 3

Posted November 24, 2010
2010 KCCT scores: Reading : State 76.8% - Bowen 76.8% - Greathouse 93.8% Math : State 73.0%, Bowen - 71.1%, Greathouse 84.7% Science : State 70.4% - Bowen 65.3% - Greathouse 84.7% Social studies : State 55.6% - Bowen 63.0% - Greathouse 87.0% Writing : State 59.1% - Bowen 68.2% - Greathouse 92.2% Average : State 67.0% - Bowen 68.8% - Greathouse 90.2% Ranking out of 738 KY elementary schools : Bowen 338th - Greathouse 12th 'Nuff said!

Posted September 17, 2010
If you want a school where your child feels comfortable and cared about, it's Bowen. My children have loved every aspect of the school, from the fun activities to the staff. Also, my children are challenged academically, and if your child struggles they will get the help they need. It feels like family. We love Bowen

Posted September 15, 2010
Our family loves Bowen ... and the "Bowen family." The principal, teachers, office staff, and counselors are always available and more than willing to help the kids succeed and help the parents be involved. The PTA Board members are present daily in the school and provide numerous Family Fun Nights and other programs. Great school!

Posted September 14, 2010
I had to respond once I saw the previous response. The classrooms at Bowen are typical of those around the state of Kentucky. Primary classrooms have 24 students and intermediate have 28-29 students. Mr. Tyra, nor the teachers, nor the district can do anything about that fact. I'm sure it is hard for teachers to 'reach out to individual students', but it is not their fault. I hope that you at least let the 3 teachers know that they meant something to your child. It's always a shame when parents don't let teachers know they have made a difference. By the way, the only way you are going to find a smaller class size is to home school your child. Even the Catholic and private schools have 20+ students in their classrooms.

Posted September 14, 2010
Face it, teachers don't go into teaching unless they care for kids. There are always a few bad apples, but overall teachers work their butts off to do what is best for kids. Unfortunately, most of the public does not realize the pressure and unrealistic goals set before teachers by "higher ups". Many of the limitations that school systems have now is due to lack of funding and poor decision making on the part of politicians. Teachers are lowest on the totem pole these days. So, please don't be so quick to throw the teachers under the bus. I would argue that 95% of the staff at Bowen are hard working and truly want the best for their students. Remember, the more supportive you are of teachers and public schools, the more you are supporting the children in them!

Bowen Elementary School
1601 Roosevelt Ave, Louisville, KY  40242
Last modified Bowen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bowen Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top