Norton Elementary School 1

Posted November 19, 2014
I am having a terrible time trying to communicate with my child's teacher. She is in second grade and went from being an outstanding student for the past three years, (preschool to now), to a complete under achiever. I take the blame for this, but I am so confused as to why the teacher did not request a conference or alert me until the report cards came out. I never get any information from the teacher and all I have are some illegible scribbles written in a notebook periodically. I am told that my daughter never turns in homework, yet I know that we sent it in to school. The one time I did go in to meet with the teacher she had the homework already graded but had not recorded it! This is the same thing that happened to the other parent who has left a review, I am wondering how many other parents are experiencing our frustrations but are not speaking out about them. I am hoping that I can get better at mind reading and improve my child's performance and grades.

Norton Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2014
Our child attended Norton for 2 years; 2012 and 2013. Although our child s 3rd grade experience wasn't so bad, our child s 4th grade experience was horrible for all of us. Not only did we find the teachers not well trained in working with a student with special needs which is why the school district placed our child in this school, they out right tried every way to make our child feel embarrassed in front of the class making by exposing our child s disability. This damaged our child s self-esteem throughout the entire year. We also experienced several instances of being told our child never completed the homework only to go through all of our papers and find that she already graded the homework but failed to document it in her grade book. When working with the counselor, we found out that not until the end of our child s 4th grade class was the District Psychologist even made aware of our child s special needs outlined in the IEP. Also, in these 2 years, we've never even met the school principal. We would see him at school events or in the hallways but for someone who is there to take care and ensure our kids get the right education, he made NO attempt to even introduce himself.

Posted August 15, 2008
This is my two children's second year at Norton's and we are all very impressed. My daughter's reading level has improved and my son is excelling in all his classes. The parent involvement is remarkable and the teachers actually care about each child.

Posted July 20, 2008
Teachers have very high expectations for students. Parents are very involved and staff is friendly and helpful.

Posted July 16, 2008

Posted August 28, 2007
This is an exceptional elementary school, and we are so fortunate to have it mere miles from our home. The teachers are dedicated and involved. Our child has been attending for 5 years now, and we have never had a 'bad' teacher. Parental involvement is unbelievable, with virtually everyone belonging to the PTA. School events are wall-to-wall people because everybody comes. I thank our lucky stars that we have this school for our children!

Posted August 26, 2007
- a former student
I went to Norton for 2.5 years and it was great. I am now in sixth grade and I miss Norton so much. Mr. Adam Ellenstein was the best teacher and unfortunately had to leave.

Posted May 20, 2007
My son has attended Norton for 5 years. It has been an exceptional school in every way. The staff is very supportive and encourage students to excel. There are many activities throughout the year. Parent involvement is very impressive. Communication is excellent. Weekly newsletters from the principle and school newsletters. Most teachers give weekly progress reports. Norton is highly recommended!

Posted March 29, 2007
Norton Elementary School in Northeastern Jefferson County provides an incredible overall educational experience for every student! The PTA has over 2,000 members and operates 38 committees, providing daily parental support in the classroom and fun, interesting events during school and after school. Activities include 'Cougarfest', a sock hop, a Hawaiian Luau, and monthly skating parties. The principal, Ken Stites, connects with the children in the halls between classes, and provides the backbone of leadership every school needs. Norton's School-Based Decision-Making Council meets regularly to review curriculum, budget, staff, and discipline decisions to ensure a fair and balanced school environment. The children at Norton are truly blessed to have a public school with such a supportive staff and parent group!

Posted March 29, 2007
This is our fourth year as Norton parents, and we continue to be impressed with the communication between home and school, the level of work the children have accomplished and the many events put together by our PTA. In addition to the weekly newsletter and daily agendas sent home, we often get a full-page letter directly from the principal addressing pertinent information about our children's school. Even though we had not intended on staying in our home more than a few years, we know now that we will be there for at least five more years until our first-grader graduates from Norton! Both of our kids love the teachers, activities and other students so much, they can't stand to be sick because they have to miss school!

Norton Elementary School
8101 Brownsboro Rd, Louisville, KY  40241
Last modified Norton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Norton Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top