Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

As a staff member at the school, I feel that all of my co-worksers have the students best interest in mind. We work hard to create a positive safe learning environment for our students to learn and grow.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The reading scores have been going up on a student to student level. Overall, the scores aren't great, but effectiveness is more than a test score. Kids seem to enjoy learning.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I believe that because the parents are all working that the teachers don't assign a ton of homework, but that's good because so many kids are in ball practice and clubs.

Develops character: Agree

Not every child is treated the same, but not every child is the same. Some kids who fight are put into counseling to help them learn different ways. Other schools just suspend. Kids are taught social skills in all of the classes.

The principal (Garner) has really turned the culture around! Teachers are dedicated and the building is well kept. Teachers stay after school to provide extra assistance. There are quite a few clubs and students get to choose which clubs will be created through asking teachers to help them make new clubs. The guidance counselor (White) has been working with the 5th grade on how to average GPA and get into the best middle schools. She's really got an eye towards their future and (last I heard) 7/8 applicants to traditional middle schools were accepted. They are strongly student centered and the kids just seem happy to be there. It's welcoming and friendly.

I love this school. My daughter transferred schools two years ago when we bought a house that was out of district from her previous school Norton Elementary. I was extremely nervous sending her to a new school and making her start fresh in an all new atmosphere. We were pleasantly surprised when her first day she said she already loved it. Her teacher Miss Morgan is amazing. She is very approachable to the kids and works hard to keep them on track. She keeps us informed on what they are learning in class. The librarian also recommended our daughter into some art classes on Saturdays after seeing her sketches. She has grown so much since arriving at Shacklette. We are so pleased with this school and feel it was by far the best choice for our daughter.

I attended shacklette for four years and i feel like it is a terrible school. Going into middle school i struggled because shacklette taught me nothing. I had great teachers but the curriculam was terrible. There is alot of bullying and favoritism and some of the subs are ridiculous. do not put your kid in this school.

We just recently moved from a small town in Michigan and I was very concerned with what school my 1st grader would end up at. Initially, they tried sending her to a school over an hour bus ride when we could see Shacklette's doors from our new house. Luckily, a transfer request was granted and she was able to attend Shacklette. I couldn't have been more pleased with ALL staff! They truly made us feel welcome & provided a smooth transition for my child. Her teacher regognized her academic achievements right away & work on enhancing them. I don't feel they are at a level academically compared to where we came from, however I get the feeling that is JCPS? No matter which school your children attend... It takes special teachers & parent involvement to reach your child's full potential. PROS: staff recognized me by name over the phone and in person, parents can attend the classroom at any time, lunch with your child is encouraged & we took full advantage, many family activity nights, wonderful library!! CONS: play equipment almost non-existent, little focus on PE

Shacklette is a terrible school. My daughter attended Kindergarten there 2 years ago and had Mrs. Freemon (who was WONDERFUL) for about half the year until she took a permanent maternity leave and the horrible permanent sub came in and the nightmares began. My daughter went from getting green everyday to warnings everyday, the last straw for me was when my 5 year old daughter had to sit and watch everybody eat snack in front of her because she talked in class :( she was told by the sub "you are not getting snack" On top of all that there is a younger male teacher there who is constantly yelling in a really mean tone at his class. My daughter NEVER had a field trip or Christmas program here. Shacklette used to be a GREAT school, not sure what happened? It's a shame the south end's schools have all went downhill.

I just had a confrence with the new principal at Shacklette. She is young and ready to give new leadership to the teacher and staff at Shacklette, so that they can help the students have a better education. I think the change is Great!!!!!!

Last modified Shacklette Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.