Posted October 28, 2013
I love this school. My daughter transferred schools two years ago when we bought a house that was out of district from her previous school Norton Elementary. I was extremely nervous sending her to a new school and making her start fresh in an all new atmosphere. We were pleasantly surprised when her first day she said she already loved it. Her teacher Miss Morgan is amazing. She is very approachable to the kids and works hard to keep them on track. She keeps us informed on what they are learning in class. The librarian also recommended our daughter into some art classes on Saturdays after seeing her sketches. She has grown so much since arriving at Shacklette. We are so pleased with this school and feel it was by far the best choice for our daughter.

Shacklette Elementary School 1

Posted August 14, 2012
I attended shacklette for four years and i feel like it is a terrible school. Going into middle school i struggled because shacklette taught me nothing. I had great teachers but the curriculam was terrible. There is alot of bullying and favoritism and some of the subs are ridiculous. do not put your kid in this school.

Shacklette Elementary School 3

Posted August 08, 2012
We just recently moved from a small town in Michigan and I was very concerned with what school my 1st grader would end up at. Initially, they tried sending her to a school over an hour bus ride when we could see Shacklette's doors from our new house. Luckily, a transfer request was granted and she was able to attend Shacklette. I couldn't have been more pleased with ALL staff! They truly made us feel welcome & provided a smooth transition for my child. Her teacher regognized her academic achievements right away & work on enhancing them. I don't feel they are at a level academically compared to where we came from, however I get the feeling that is JCPS? No matter which school your children attend... It takes special teachers & parent involvement to reach your child's full potential. PROS: staff recognized me by name over the phone and in person, parents can attend the classroom at any time, lunch with your child is encouraged & we took full advantage, many family activity nights, wonderful library!! CONS: play equipment almost non-existent, little focus on PE

Shacklette Elementary School 1

Posted November 11, 2011
Shacklette is a terrible school. My daughter attended Kindergarten there 2 years ago and had Mrs. Freemon (who was WONDERFUL) for about half the year until she took a permanent maternity leave and the horrible permanent sub came in and the nightmares began. My daughter went from getting green everyday to warnings everyday, the last straw for me was when my 5 year old daughter had to sit and watch everybody eat snack in front of her because she talked in class :( she was told by the sub "you are not getting snack" On top of all that there is a younger male teacher there who is constantly yelling in a really mean tone at his class. My daughter NEVER had a field trip or Christmas program here. Shacklette used to be a GREAT school, not sure what happened? It's a shame the south end's schools have all went downhill.

Posted April 22, 2010
I just had a confrence with the new principal at Shacklette. She is young and ready to give new leadership to the teacher and staff at Shacklette, so that they can help the students have a better education. I think the change is Great!!!!!!

Posted April 14, 2010
i love shaclette BUT there awards programs are gone, mst program didnt even hear about it this year school seems like its goin backwards instead of forward what are these leaders thinking????

Posted February 28, 2009
The principal Ms. Keith is awesome and my son absolutely loves the In-house MST program. I gave Shacklette a chance and I don't see the problems talked about in these reviews. Ms. Keith is always there when I have a question or concern. The teachers are very hard workers and really care about the kids.

Posted January 15, 2009
I have had 3 children attending Shacklette. The principal Ms. Keith has been an invaluable source of help regarding my children. I had 2 special needs children attend the school. I was not always happy with what was going in in the classroom. Ms. Keith always made time to meet with me on short notice and she addressed my concerns promptly. I am not exactly sure why the negative comments have been posted about this principal. I have seen nothing but growth since she came to the school. I am a very involved parent. I am the chairperson of the board of the advisory council for the family resourse center. I encourage parents to schedule a meeting with the principal. Get to know her for yourself.

Posted January 15, 2009
I also have a child attending Shacklette and I have to say that I am not really impressed with what I have seen. I feel as does a lot of other that Shacklette needs new management. And after reading the test scores of these kids, I feel that it is not the childern but the ones leading them. They are lost from the beginning,how sad. And my question is who will help make the changes needed in this school needs? I can see Shacklettes doors from my home but if things don't change I will be moving my child to a new school!

Posted January 13, 2009
I totally disagree with all of these ratings. I think Shacklette has a great leader and a very supportive staff. Everything Mrs. Keith does at Shacklette is for the benefit of the students. Because of her our students now have an In-house MST program, more extracurricular activities, and family nights. Not to mention the building expansion! All of this, I think, is for the benefit of each child's education. I have never once doubted my decision to send my child to Shacklette. I am dissapointed in the negative comments made about Shacklette and its leadership. I have never felt unwelcomed by anyone at the school. Parents and school staff should work together, in order for the child to have a positive learning experience. What kind of message does it send when you speak so negatively about someone or something? Try to look for the good in all things!

Shacklette Elementary School
5310 Mercury Dr, Louisville, KY  40258
Last modified Shacklette Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shacklette Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top