Dunn Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 600 students

Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My children attends Dunn Elementary and at best I would say that this school is average. My husband and I chose Dunn for our children because of their high test scores. Little did we know that we were sending our children to a materialistic-brand obsessed school were you will not thrive or "fit in" unless you fit the bill. I have never had an issue with teachers or other students but I do see a lot of stepford wives in yoga pants driving overpriced vehicles while holding their Starbucks on their steering wheels for all to see and I worry that my children will find this greedy brand obsessed culture normal and/or acceptable. In other words, if you desire teaching your children humble living skills, this is not the facility for your family.

Posted May 15, 2014

The newer principal years (2012-present) has been less inclined to help or support our son with critical, obvious, and fundamental problems in the classroom with the teacher. We are not alone with our concerns and she dismissed them with out asking his she can help resolve or looking for any solution. We are very displeased with this year at Dunn as opposed to last year when we had phenomenal Kindergarden teachers. The Spanish teacher is not nice nor does she understand how to deal with kids that aren't picture perfect and this newer principal just announced she is retiring. It's been a rough year but my child has been completely turned off by this school :-( These are critical years and we do not know whether our son is coming or going in his class. I am sad that he feels he can't even talk during his lunch break or in the carpool line. Some of the older kids have also been bullies which is not tolerated in my opinion!

Posted February 3, 2014

I now have 2 girls at Dunn and I could not be happier with the school or more impressed with the teachers and support staff. My children are greeted every day with smiles from everyone they meet, each year they have had teachers that immediately understood their strengths and encouraged my girls to challenge themselves daily. Our teachers never teach to the "middle level" in each class, they help children individually as much as they can. I have always had concerns by teachers and administrators dealt with immediately, and get call backs the same day, even if it means the principle calls me at 7pm. As to the other review that pointed out a specific teacher. My child had that teacher as well and I cannot fathom anything like that in her class. My daughter felt picked on by students in her class and her teacher looked out for her on a daily basis and always made sure that all children felt at ease in the classroom. My girls are more than happy at Dunn.

Posted October 20, 2013

My daughter was a victim of bullying at Dunn and the sad thing is that her teacher, Mrs. Mowry, was the bully. She really shut my little girl down!

Posted November 15, 2011

My daughter is a 5th grader and has been at Dunn since Kindergarten. The children are given the Cognative Abilities Test in third grade for AP math placement in grades 4 and 5. Even though my daughter did not score at the requisite level the teachers knew she was capable of higher level work and allowed her to enter the AP program in 4th grade. We have been so happy with the curriculum and high level of academic challenge. This year in AP math they are already doing 7th grade work. Love the challenging and caring environment!

Posted October 27, 2011

There is way too much bullying happening at this school! We reported many incidents to the counselor, who promised to notify the parents of the offenders. We later found out that the parents were never told about the issues and the principal did nothing to help. I would never wish the same experience we had on anyone else!

Posted May 1, 2011

Although the PTA is quite a click to be reckoned with, the school as a whole, principal and teaching staff are THE BEST!! I love that all of the teachers know my son, or act like they do when they see him in the hall! It makes him feel good. He was there for 1st and 2nd grade and both of his teachers were fantastic with my son, one on one and in their class as a whole. JCPS has an awful enrollment/school assignment plan, but, if you're fortunate enough to get your son or daughter into Dunn, you will LOVE it!!

Posted May 31, 2010

Fantastic school, principal, pta, and teachers. Huge emphasis on high academic achievement. Teachers utilize different media and tools (smartboards, document cameras, computers, etc) to effectively teach their lessons. It is a very safe, secure environment. Respect and responsibility are practiced daily. The school offers many extracurricular opportunities and encourages community involvement. I am thrilled my children are getting such a terrific education from such a caring, dedicated principal and staff.

Posted May 27, 2009

This was our first year at Dunn, and we have been extremely happy. We have found the staff to be very helpful and personable. The PTA staff has been wonderful and very appreciative.

Posted May 8, 2009

Great teachers. It's amazing that they all know each kid by name. They actually care about the kids and what's going on in their lives. The office staff is also very nice people. The only bad thing I can say about the school is that they need a new Principal. She is very rude and snooty. If she leaves or transfers it would be the best school in the city.

Posted April 16, 2009

I have been at dunn the last 7 months in a non teaching roll. I have never been around so many caring people they care about the kids and fellow employee's i wish my kids were small again.

Posted August 26, 2008

Dunn is an excellent school with the highest caliber of teachers and principal. The teachers and principal genuinely care about each and every one of the children. They go above and beyond what is expected of them each day to make sure each child is getting the highest quality education they can receive. It is truly each teacher and the principal's calling in life to be in that position, because they make a difference in the lives of each child and it shows. I have a daughter in middle school this year and she couldn't be more prepared after her years at Dunn. We love the school and its staff.

Posted August 26, 2008

I have visited many schools in the Louisville and surrounding areas and I have yet to see the dedication to our children that I see at Dunn Elementary. Dunn Elementary is truly a remarkable school in the Louisville community. Dunn has excellent teachers and attracts the better teachers because of the high quality student population and the willingness of the staff and parents to make things happen. I have 2 other children that graduated from the Oldham county school system and I can not compare the quality of teachers and staff to Dunn. They are truly dedicated to the education of our children. I would recommend Dunn Elementary to anyone who has a child in elementary school system.

Posted August 21, 2008

I have 2 children who attended Dunn. They were both in the talented-gifted and advanced programs. Their achievement test scores were always in the highest percentiles. However, they were unhappy at Dunn. Their grades were average and their motivation was low. Some of the teachers and administrators were very good, but others were terrible. Several teachers have reputations for yelling and using obscenities in class. The teachers defy the principal's authority. There is a lot of politics involved in getting the best teachers. I often considered changing schools, but remained because Dunn was in our neighborhood. Now that my children are in middle school, they both like school, have great grades and have won many awards.

Posted February 10, 2008

Having visited many schools in KY and elsewhere I would highly recommend Dunn Elementary School. Students are well behaved and eager to learn. Parents value education and support the school in many ways. Teachers are dedicated and professional in their dealings with students and parents. These three things are critical to ensuring a successful academic experience for children. High expectations are held for teachers and students and the support is provided for them to achieve at those high levels. Students love going to school at Dunn where they feel safe and valued as they learn and achieve at consistently high levels.

Posted August 29, 2007

Dunn is clearly a desirable school, with an active PTA and involved staff. But, like all east-end Louisville elementaries, the student-teacher ratio is atrocious Other schools are similarly over-crowded, and there is only so much that can be done when teachers are facing classes of this size. Be thee aware ...

Posted October 14, 2004

Dunn Elementary is truly a gem of a school in the Louisville community where many people focus on 'private' schools as the only option. Dunn has excellent teachers and attracts good teachers because of the high quality student population. Many high quality families attend this school and generously give of both their time and money. The school is able to afford many extracurricular activities, technology and arts programs because of its excellent PTA. I believe Dunn offers my two daughters an excellent education in a relatively diverse environment with many oportunities to pursue other interests. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 20, 2004

Dunn Elementary truly is a 'great school!' We are currently in our sixth year of having children at Dunn. My husband and I are very pleased with the education our children have received at Dunn. Dunn has a wonderful, caring, and very involved principal who puts the needs of the children first. We have seen an improvement in the quality of education and safety of the students each year that she has been at Dunn. We know of many parents who can afford to send their children to private school, but choose Dunn instead due to the excellent education they receive there. The parental involvement at the school is incredible. We have an outstanding PTA who provides much-needed technology, supplies, time and services to the school who like other KY schools is faced with difficult budgeting issues. I would highly recommend this school to any parent with elementary age children.

Posted September 17, 2004

I have had children at Dunn Elementary for six years and have very high regard for the school, its staff and its PTA. One of my children struggles with a disability and each year I have had a lot of interaction with the teachers, counselor and principal. They all devote extra time and effort to improving his education and his self confidence. The parental support is top-notch with countless service hours and PTA involvement;in fact, it was recognized nationally as a PTA School of Excellence - the first in Jefferson County. The PTA's strength translates to improvements in school resources, such as sponsoring an artist in residence each year and offering students exposure to the performing arts as well. This is important due to budget cuts in these areas in public shools.

Posted September 17, 2004

As a parent of a Dunn Elementary student, I couldn't be more happy with the quality of education that my child is receiving. I am an educator myself and feel that my child is receiving the best education that there is to offer. Dunn is an exemptional school, which is highly reflected in their continuously high test scores. The amount time and dedication that the faculty and staff put in to ensure that each child is being taught at their highest level of achievement is unprecedented. The school offers tremendous opportunities for the student to experience the arts in various ways, ranging from weekly Music and Art class, taught by a very qualified teacher, as well as an artist in residence. The physical education program as well as the computer program are top notch. I would have no reservations in recommended Dunn Elementary school as a great school!

The state average for Math was 44% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 54% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 47% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 59% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 36% in 2013.

All Students67%

Male50%
White63%
Economically disadvantaged17%

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 60% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Source: Kentucky Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20141What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20142What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 K-PREP and EOC results from the Kentucky Department of Education.

2 This rating is based 2012-13 median growth percentiles from the Kentucky Department of Education.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2010 Rudy Ln