Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 11, 2016
Ryan Murphy (the PE teacher) builds up integrity and self confidence in the children. He is such an invaluable asset at Dunn.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 11, 2016
The model that is widely used here is from the book, "Mindset." Read it and if you agree, you should fit in well.

Posted May 11, 2016
Dr. Barber (the principal) is an amazing leader at Dunn as well as our assistant principal, Tony Mitchell. I feel like there is a great, caring, environment at Dunn and our kids are pushed academically. There is something very special about Dunn and you would be lucky to have your kids at this school.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 09, 2016
This was our daughter's first year at Dunn and we didn't know what to expect. Her teacher, Mrs. Roach, has been amazing! She set our daughter up for success from the very beginning. The weekly homework assignments gave her the study tools necessary to really learn and retain her spelling words. Her project assignments were fun and educational and allowed our daughter to showcase her interests. Our daughter's reading skills were weak at the start of the year. The time and effort spent helping to improve those skills was exceptional. Our daughter has caught up to her reading level and LOVES it! Mrs. Roach has clear cut rules and consequences that teach the kids appropriate behavior in a safe environment. She has truly given our daughter a strong foundation to succeed in life. She has a strong rewards program that encourages personal responsibility. If our daughter gets her agenda signed everyday and forms returned on time she gets a reward. Our daughter gets herself up and dressed every morning and checks her backpack to make sure that she has everything that she needs for her day. Not only has Mrs. Roach supported and encouraged our daughter in the classroom, but she has done so outside as well. She attended our daughter's ballet performance and celebrated her when she won an art contest. She is always available to answer a parent question or schedule a conference.

Dunn Elementary School 3

Posted November 19, 2014
My children attends Dunn Elementary and at best I would say that this school is average. My husband and I chose Dunn for our children because of their high test scores. Little did we know that we were sending our children to a materialistic-brand obsessed school were you will not thrive or "fit in" unless you fit the bill. I have never had an issue with teachers or other students but I do see a lot of stepford wives in yoga pants driving overpriced vehicles while holding their Starbucks on their steering wheels for all to see and I worry that my children will find this greedy brand obsessed culture normal and/or acceptable. In other words, if you desire teaching your children humble living skills, this is not the facility for your family.

Dunn Elementary School 1

Posted May 15, 2014
The newer principal years (2012-present) has been less inclined to help or support our son with critical, obvious, and fundamental problems in the classroom with the teacher. We are not alone with our concerns and she dismissed them with out asking his she can help resolve or looking for any solution. We are very displeased with this year at Dunn as opposed to last year when we had phenomenal Kindergarden teachers. The Spanish teacher is not nice nor does she understand how to deal with kids that aren't picture perfect and this newer principal just announced she is retiring. It's been a rough year but my child has been completely turned off by this school :-( These are critical years and we do not know whether our son is coming or going in his class. I am sad that he feels he can't even talk during his lunch break or in the carpool line. Some of the older kids have also been bullies which is not tolerated in my opinion!

Posted February 03, 2014
I now have 2 girls at Dunn and I could not be happier with the school or more impressed with the teachers and support staff. My children are greeted every day with smiles from everyone they meet, each year they have had teachers that immediately understood their strengths and encouraged my girls to challenge themselves daily. Our teachers never teach to the "middle level" in each class, they help children individually as much as they can. I have always had concerns by teachers and administrators dealt with immediately, and get call backs the same day, even if it means the principle calls me at 7pm. As to the other review that pointed out a specific teacher. My child had that teacher as well and I cannot fathom anything like that in her class. My daughter felt picked on by students in her class and her teacher looked out for her on a daily basis and always made sure that all children felt at ease in the classroom. My girls are more than happy at Dunn.

Dunn Elementary School 3

Posted October 20, 2013
My daughter was a victim of bullying at Dunn and the sad thing is that her teacher, Mrs. Mowry, was the bully. She really shut my little girl down!

Posted November 15, 2011
My daughter is a 5th grader and has been at Dunn since Kindergarten. The children are given the Cognative Abilities Test in third grade for AP math placement in grades 4 and 5. Even though my daughter did not score at the requisite level the teachers knew she was capable of higher level work and allowed her to enter the AP program in 4th grade. We have been so happy with the curriculum and high level of academic challenge. This year in AP math they are already doing 7th grade work. Love the challenging and caring environment!

Dunn Elementary School 1

Posted October 27, 2011
There is way too much bullying happening at this school! We reported many incidents to the counselor, who promised to notify the parents of the offenders. We later found out that the parents were never told about the issues and the principal did nothing to help. I would never wish the same experience we had on anyone else!

2010 Rudy Ln, Louisville, KY  40207
Last modified Dunn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.