Bad
Good

The staff talks (yells) to the children in an innapproriate tone. Nothing is done about violencein some of the classrooms. Principal Myers is very dry and unwelcoming to the students and parents. There are a few decent teachers at this school, but they are few and far between. The office staff is helpful.

This was my daughter's first year at Engelhard and when she was assigned to this school, I was a little uneasy. My daughter had gone to a private school for 2 years before coming to Engelhard, but she was diagnosed with a reading disorder and her private school was not equipped to help her. So JCPS was one of our only options. I came to the school to meet the counselor, so I could get the ball rolling on her IEP and the counselor was gone. I had the pleasure of speaking with a wonderful and caring woman who bent over back words to answer every question that I had as well as putting me in contact with exactly whom I needed to get her IEP started. I talked to this woman for approximately 45 minutes and come to find out, she is the principal. The principal at my daughter's last school had never spoke two words to me in the two years she attended. I was astonished! Now I was much more comfortable with the school and I knew my child would be taken care of. Her teacher, Amy Anderson is a Godsend. She has worked so much with my daughter and my daughter is reading at grade level and is one of the smartest children in her class for math! It was the best decision we ever made! We Engelhard

Engelhard is a wonderful school! The teachers work hard, and the leadership is outstanding. I love each and every child that enters the doors of this school, and am shocked to know that a parent on here feels that I do not see the "good" in her child. I, myself, am a working mother, so I understand all the benefits of assuming many responsibilities. This was also my first year at Engelhard, and I look forward to being here for a while. :) GOD bless! Mrs. Parks

I have worked as a reading tutor at Engelhard for 2 years. I have grown to appreciate how well the school is operated, given its inner-city student make-up. Engelhard is deserving of all the recognition it can receive.

Its teachers work diligently to make things better for the children, making a learning environment as well as making learning fun. They all reach toward the future for the children from varied backgrounds.

By far this school was the worst one my children have attended. The faculty were very rude and threatening. They had a habit of picking out individuals for disciplinary actions without knowing the whole or true story. One of my childrens teacher threatened them with a ruler in the hallway by raising her hand in the air as if she were going to hit them. This school does not know how to handle students with specific or special needs, and should seriously reevaluate their staff.

My son is getting ready to have Mrs. Smith as his 2nd grade teacher. She has already been amazing making him feel comfortable even before the school year has started. My son and I first met Mrs. Smith at the 'Back to school Bash'. I already think very highly of her!! Her energy for this grade level is top notch. I can tell that he will have a great year with her~ And I believe with all the positive and helpfull staff that we met at the 'back to school bash' this school will be very easy for him to transfer to and adjust this upcoming school year.

Last modified Engelhard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.