Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My child has been attending Brandeis for several years now, and the quality of the school has gone dramatically downhill in the past few years. Despite being a magnet school where the children have to submit applications and are supposed to be required to have certain skill sets, the admission criteria is not applied consistently at all. Also, there is no discipline at the school and the school does not abide by the JCPS rules of student conduct. Just recently, there has been a child who has repeatedly physically hurt other children (even threw a metal marble at another child's face, striking him just below the eye socket)--this child is a daily disruption and threat to the class, yet he also is allowed to remain in the school despite JCPS protocol which requires him to have been expelled and removed from the school. Children are allowed to repeatedly disrupt the class and the teachers can't punish them for fear of parent complaints. The principal is in the process of training to become a school superintendent, and therefore has mentally checked out of being the principal at the school. The curriculum has gone down as well. The teachers send home tons of homework, but none of it is actually thought provoking. So much of it is generic online or ipad homework. It's sad that Brandeis used to be a really great school but now it is in fast decline. Yes, the test scores are still good, but that is not the measure of a great school. Plus, if you send your child to Brandeis, you need to be prepared for him or her to be taught primarily by substitute teachers. Several teachers have left and they have not replaced the teachers...instead they rely on long term subs. Also, they put subs with no special training in rooms where they need special training (e.g., hearing impaired room, the high risk kids' room, etc.), so if your kid needs extra help, they're not going to be getting it. Every single day there are at least 3 to 4 teachers out. Today, ELEVEN teachers are out at Brandeis!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Too much busy work homework that isn't teaching the children anything--often sent home with little to no instructions.

This is an awesome school! I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an elementary school in Jefferson County. The teachers are wonderful and you get a lot of hands on learning. We always got to interact with the lessons and I came home always saying, "School was awesome!" The teachers and staff are helpful and nice, always helping when you need it. Best school in JCPS by far and if I could, I would return (if I could) even though I am past elementary school.

The academics are outstanding. However, I was concerned, as well as other parents in my daughters class, about the declining self esteem that we witnessed in our children. I knew of some children who had to see counselors because of this. The school's discipline runs off a light system, like most schools. The children are not allowed to socialize with each other at all unless they are on the playground, which is limited to only the nice days outside. Every Friday they had a class party during lunch that only the "good" kids could attend and if a child received more than 2 yellow or red lights they were forced to eat BY THEMSELVES in the lunch room and forbidden to speak to anyone while eating lunch. This is absolutely absurd and needs to change. My poor five year old is a little hyper and she was stuck eating lunch by herself every Friday while her friends got to eat lunch in the classroom and watch a Disney movie. I worked very hard to get my child into this school and I'm not sure it's really worth it. I will be sending my daughter to another school for 1st grade.

We have had a spectacular experience with Brandeis Elementary. Everything seems so well thought out to provide the most enrichment for our children. The other day I asked my Kindergartener how his day was and he was shocked that I even asked "Awesome, as always!". This is our fourth school due to moves and we are grateful every day. In the end the very best part has been the diversity in the students and the parent involvement. This is a very dedicated group of parents from all different backgrounds and together with the staff they have created a very special learning environment

Brandeis Elementary is a great school full of Professionals that truly care about not only the students but Families as well!! They have a dedicated reputation of believing in our children and eager to see them succeed! The Principal is a strong positive leader and I love how the teachers challenge my daughter academically. It has honestly put her ahead!!! I feel a connection with everyone, from front office staff, security, teachers etc.. Every since my daughter has been a student at Brandeis I see her growth and development above her grade level!! There is so much positive energy in the school. I just would like for all of the staff at Brandeis Elementary School to know that you are APPRECIATED!!!

I was a student at this school, graduating in 2009. I am now a freshman in high school and if i hadn't gone to Brandeis and received the wonderful, caring, personal education i received, i would not be who i am today. The staff at this school are exceptional! I believe that this school rivals a private school in education quality. I never saw any real behavior or bullying problems. Once again, this is the best elementary school in Jefferson County!

I was a student and all I have to say is that this school is awesome! Its has a great staff and the teachers are all nice! All the lessons are hands on, and I have gotten top scores on the KCCT all the years I have been there. There are good extra-curricular programs like chess, fencing, quick recall, and problem solving. I love this school!!!!!

I love this school! its standard of teaching is really good and my kindergarten daughter loves each and every day.

Great principal leadership. Teachers for my son in 2nd and 3rd grade and for my daughter in kindergarden have all been excellent. Teachers consistently push children to perform at their highest potential. If child demonstrates that standard curriculum is not challenging enough, then teachers have the flexibility to provide additional material that will prove challenging. Kids learn in a safe, no nonsense, disciplined environment.

Last modified Brandeis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.