Louisville, KY
Students enrolled: 1,193

Highland Middle School 2

Posted August 13, 2015
My advanced placement child regrets choosing this school. She is sometimes put into classes with kids who do not care to learn. When asked for a transfer, the answer was no. If you look at these reviews the best reviews were years ago. Looks like this school is not longer what it used to be.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 13, 2015
In advanced classes the teacher appear to be effective but not in the other classes.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 13, 2015
My student spends plenty of time working on her studies. But we will see if she is prepared for high school.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 13, 2015
The fact that my student has good grades in spite of the non-disciplined atmosphere of some classes. That is hoping she has actually learned and her grades are not because of no challenges.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 13, 2015
No respect if the students can not be controlled so those wanting to learn can hear the teacher.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 13, 2015
My student did not receive any compassion caring or empathy from the admin when she asked to be transferred to a more disciplined class.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 13, 2015
From what my students says some students can not be controlled. My student regrets her decision to go to this school because there are many loud and uncontrolled students

Highland Middle School 1

Posted February 03, 2015
Lockdowns, gun searches and drug dogs are what your child learns here. 6th grade was enough for us and we go into another magnet program. That "highland" attitude has been passed on to the kids of this school where there is no learning to be had. It's pure survival. I know that all of the incidents are not even reported. Children who misbehave are not reprimanded when their parents threaten the school. There have been kids with knives with no punishment. One mom who is a social worker gets her child out of trouble and keeps his low performing academics in the AP program by threatening the school and they back down. I didn't want this child in class with mine that was there to learn! This was once a good program and now just out of control. We are out and not returning. Your child can not be prepared for high school. The AP program is extremely low level. The AP here would be remedial at most middle schools.

Highland Middle School 2

Posted August 26, 2014
2 weeks into 6th grade my child is disappointed and i am not very impressed about Highland MIddle and the way they do things. My child was given a bully packet and i wasn't even notified but my child was hurt by it and told me what happened otherwise i wouldn't have known. Kids are not allowed to carry their backpacks throughout the day so they leave them in a classroom, last week someone stole her backpack which had her inhaler. She told teacher and teacher said it is not her responsibility, how is that? If nobody is in classroom why isn't it locked and if classroom is used for others why are kids forced to leave their belongings. I called school same day to discuss the bully situation and stolen backpack/inhaler and was told i would get a call from someone first thing Monday, guess what no call. School is old and air conditioning is not the best, it is very damp and stuffy in there and my daughter has been sneezing and coughing every day. My husband was told that they are aware of kids having breathing problems, staff as well and that there is mold but they do their best and would call 911 if needed since there is no nurse on staff.

Highland Middle School 4

Posted July 15, 2013
My daughter has completed her first year at Highland Middle school on the Pacesetters team. This year was a much easier transition (from elementary school) than I anticipated. As in any school, the experience is what you make of it. I love the looping system. I believe it gives the teachers and students, plenty of times to "know" each other; the expectations of the students and the needs of the students. The school is large and has many students. I don't mind that aspect, because that can be benefitical for adapting to college life. My daughter lucked out with a wonderful team leader and dedicated teachers. Trips were great ( not too many). The reward (created by her teachers) system for good grades, was a great motivator for her. Her band concerts were enjoyable. She made a couple of "quality" friends. We hope that next year will be just as good and maybe better!

1700 Norris Place, Louisville, KY  40205
Last modified Highland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top