Coleridge-Taylor Elementary School 1

Posted November 05, 2013
This school is a complete joke. It is absolutely not a montessori school. My son currently attends Coleridge Taylor and we have been completely underwhelmed. There is a TON of yelling and discipline. The teachers we have experienced are very strict and seem to always be on edge. I am saddened by my experience because we were ecstatic when our son was accepted. I toured several schools and Coleridge Taylor was by far my favorite. I Observed in the classroom, took a tour etc. The school is nothing like it was during the preview. Good luck if this is your choice!

Posted September 07, 2012
Montessori is an amazing philosophy, where children learn independently at their own pace, using hand-on materials. Definitely come see this philosophy in action- its rather difficult to describe. Montessori is especially helpful with math instruction where working hands on with math makes a big impact, or with science, where you can actively be involved with the science lesson rather than just reading about it in a book. Kids remember things they do, not always what they just hear about. Coleridge Taylor has a rather scary outside but don't be put off. Inside you will find (mostly!) wam and caring teachers who allow students to work at their own levels. Many interesting and intelligent parents are involved here, and the prinicipal is very caring and concerned. Montessori is a great system for bright students who might otherwise be bored in class, waiting for others to catch up. My child has been allowed to work several grade levels ahead.

Posted October 22, 2011
Test results are one way to rate a school. A better way to provide a more holistic rating is to get to know the teachers, see how much they care for the children, and observe the children when they move on to middle school. My daughter transitioned from Coleridge Taylor to a challenging middle school this year and did so with ease. Her experience at CT prepared her for the future as a thoughtful, engaged learner with the ability to navigate not only academically, but also socially as she grows into an amazing adult. This is a 5 star school.

Posted September 02, 2011
Coleridge Taylor is a great school. My two sons have been attending for the past two years, and we've had an excellent experience there. The teachers are very good and the school offers a sense of community. One teacher told me last year that this is the best school to teach in - I thought that said a lot for the school itself, that a teacher who's been working there for some years has such a genuinely positive feeling about it. I think the Montessori method has been great for both my kids - for the older one (now in 5th) in terms of developing self-motivation, and for the younger one (now in 1st) because he's very "hands on". However, a weakness is math instruction. The 5th grader didn't have to learn his multiplication tables in 3rd grade... so he's struggling a little with long division now. And for the younger one, I'm observing closely to determine if Coleridge Taylor will continue to be the best fit for him because he has trouble paying attention and listening.

Posted October 05, 2010
This school is awesome!!! My son has thrived here. The Montessori environment is wonderful for keeping students interested and for learning self-discipline. He would be bored in a traditional school. The teachers are wonderful!

Coleridge-Taylor Elementary School 4

Posted August 13, 2010
My daughters attend this school. They are all doing very well. Most of their teachers have been wonderful, with the exception of Ms. Petway who was probably a good teacher at one time but should retire now. The principal is wonderful. The counselor is mediocre at best. The best part about the school is the Montessori environment. The worst part is that there is not enough parental involvement. Many of the children are behind in reading and it tends to hold my own children back when math lessons must be interrupted to focus on being able to read the word problems. All in all, however, it is probably one of the better public elementary schools in the city, though I'd probably choose a private school instead if it was affordable.

Posted May 08, 2009

Posted September 13, 2007
My son is in the second grade and has just started his second year at Coleridge Taylor. We absolutely love it! He attended a different school for kindergarten and after a horrible first year, we moved to a different part of the city in order to get him in a better school. Though Coleridge Taylor wasn't my initial first choice, I will be forever grateful that my final decision was to send him to Coleridge Taylor. It is an amazing school with great teachers and leadership. My son has flourished even more than I expected since being at this school. I honestly believe that both the Montessori way of teaching and the amazing teachers my son has been so lucky to have have a lot to do with his amazing growth while at this school. I recommend this school to any and every parent I come across!!

Posted July 18, 2005
- a former student

Posted June 02, 2005

Coleridge-Taylor Elementary School
1115 West Chestnut St, Louisville, KY  40203
Last modified Coleridge-Taylor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coleridge-Taylor Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.