Louisville, KY

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 28, 2015
The "homeward bound" ( homework outline) given each week helps the student learn to prioritize their work load and stay on task.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 28, 2015
They encourage all students to audition for the school plays, regardless of their major. This allows them to challenge themselves, and grow as performers and people.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 28, 2015
I have been very pleasantly surprised at the inclusiveness and welcome attitude of the students.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 28, 2015
Ms. Rice is a no nonsense kind of principal, she treats the students fairly and genuinely cares for their welfare.

Posted May 28, 2015
Being a very concerned parent of an incoming 6th grader I was apprehensive about middle school in general. I couldn't be more pleased at the end of the school year with our experience. My daughter has thrived, made friends, and experienced different art forms other than her choral major. This is the middle school experience I would have dreamed of, being a local Louisvillian.

Posted January 30, 2015
Now an Arts Magnet School (NOT just magnet "program" at a regular school), WMSchool For the Arts is the BEST kept secret in JCPS Middle Schools! Come take a tour!

Posted December 16, 2014
My daughter is in her second year at Western Middle School for the Arts (WMSFA) & we are really happy with it. She has maintained her A grade level, and has been in AP classes both years. Her teachers have been EXCELLENT at communicating with parents while teaching the children to be accountable. The staff have always been caring & go overboard in making sure the children are learning with different teaching techniques, regular grading information & simply being available to both the students & parents. The Principal has even gone out of her way to seek out my daughter when I called to indicate that my daughter was having a rough day. And my daughter has made wonderful friends while learning a lot. She is finding what she wants to focus on for her future, and that includes learning what is not a fit for her by the experiences she has had at WMSFA. I LOVE WESTERN!

Posted October 23, 2014
I currently attend Western Middle School. I am an 8th grader. Mrs.Rice has done a lot to improve this school. The choir is awesome. I'm currently in it. We get lots of opportunities to sing and are the best in jcps. The kids are great as well no bullying Is allowed. Mr.Steed is the best teacher ever at Western

Western Middle School 1

Posted May 24, 2014
I am currently a student at Western Middle School and to be honest, it is not a good school at all. If you are considering letting your child go there, be prepared for them telling you that they hate it. The sixth grade teachers are horrible as are the seventh and eighth. I was really looking forward to going but now I regret the decision greatly. In the past the schools ratings have been horrible and by the looks of it, they are not getting any better. The old principle was horrible and the new one is not any better. Please, do not let your child come here.

Posted October 28, 2011
This school is now a magnet for Visual & Performing Arts. While test scores have been low in the past, there has been a complete changing of the guard at this school, from the administrators to the teachers with a plan implemented like the one at Manual. Every teacher there seems to be there because they want to be & because they want to help our children!! The arts programs are all amazing & the kids are dedicated too. So far it has been nothing short of a WONDERFUL experience!!

2201 West Main St, Louisville, KY  40212
Last modified Western Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Western Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top