Louisville Male High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1728 students

Sweep tile

Posted June 19, 2007

Sure they were strict but many of those kids needed it. Sometimes the dress code would be taken to far but that's only a small problem. I am SO prepared for college and I owe all that to Male. I stay in touch with so many of my teachers and am proud to say I went to Male High School. It's faboulously run and there is so much to. I was in the choir all four years and that only made my experience better. It was the most fun anyone could every have. I will most definitly send my children here.

Posted April 11, 2007

I graduated from Male in 2005 and Male was also my mother's idea also. I have been in the traditional program for 12 years and although I was well prepared academically for college, I was NOT well prepared for the social aspect of college and I partially blame my experience at Male High School. Other than that, the teachers are very good at what they do.

Posted June 15, 2006

My daughter just graduated from Male and had a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend this school for anyone for their child.

Posted May 17, 2006

The academic progams offered here are very good. There are many challenging classes and classes that prepare you for college. The music and art categories are excellent and always recieve good ratings. Sports are top sports in the state as well. There isnt much parent involvement voluntarily unless they are made too or inless they get something out of it.

Posted January 27, 2006

As a graduate of the class of 1995 I can say that Male prepared my former classmates and I to the highest extent possible. Ten years out and I continually run into old friends who are doctors, lawyers, psychologists, famous musicians and artists. Male prepared me to be well-rounded with my experiences in academic, athletics, and music clubs after school. Male was recently ranked as one of the best public schools in the nation and it's easy to see why. There are great leaders, teachers and involvement from students, parents and alumni. You never worry when going to school if there will be a fight like some other schools in town. The students are well-behaved and more focused on getting the best grades and getting into college. I am very proud to have gone to Male High School.

Posted November 15, 2005

Attending Louisville Male was my mother's decision from the jump. I am currently in college and do not have kids, but when I do, I would never allow my children to endure the torture of having to walk the halls of Louisville Male on a day-to-day basis for four years. I'd send them to non-traditional first.

Posted October 16, 2005

I'm not a parent, but I graduated from the 2005 class at Male. Now in college, I'm realizing just how much Male prepared me for collegiate level work. I keep in touch with a few of my teachers, and I really miss seeing them--they were so supportive and still are. Male was an amazing high school to attend. It provided a lot of extracurricular options of which I fully took advantage of my last two years. I would advise anyone attending to take part in the music programs. I was in Show Choir for four years and it was an amazing experience that taught me confidence and group cooperation. I miss my high school and I wish it so much luck for the future. There is no other high school that even compares to Male.

Posted February 19, 2005

As a senior at Male, I find it appropriate to pay homage to my school. Male is a fantastic facility that I will greatly miss once I graduate. The teachers are excellent, the students are hilarious, and the classes offered are fun and educating. In all honestly, the parents don't participate as much as they should, but the teachers do what they can to support us in everything we do. The teachers and students I encounter day after day motiviate me to continue going to school. Male is my home and it embodies what a high school should be.

Posted January 2, 2005

I am a senior at Male High School. Most students are always complaining that our school is terrible and such but when you think about it it's not at all. I look at how much stuff I get to do at my school that I never would at other schools. There are many opportunities that come up at this school that others could only wish to have happen to them. I have learned alot at male and now feel secure in myself to proceed onto college and the rest of my life. I love our music program. I am in the chorus and there is nothing better that you could be in at male then the chorus! We get to take several trips and get the opportunities to get national attention. I see parents at our school some but i guess not as often as we would like. I love male!

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 51% in 2013.

407 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 36% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Mechanics

African American81%
White81%
Economically disadvantaged81%

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 41% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 41% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 36% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 36% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 56% in 2013.

405 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 51% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky administered the End-of-Course (EOC) assessments. EOCs are tests given to public high school students when they complete a course to assess their knowledge of important course concepts. They are similar to a final exam, except that they are created and scored by an outside testing company, ensuring that the tests are both rigorous and aligned with state and national college readiness standards.

Algebra II

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A57%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• French
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4409 Preston Hwy