Bad
Good

My child looked forward to going to school most days while at HES. Her main teachers were very attentive, and encouraged her to develop her talents in creative ways. They spent a great deal of extra time assisting her with extra projects she wanted to do. The principal, academic team coach, librarian and music teacher were all kind and supportive. The negative experience was when she was bullied by another student, who was physically much larger than her. It took several months and multiple conferences to remedy this situation.

HES is a wonderful school. I have a 5th grader and a Kindergarten student that LOVE going to school every day. Teachers are loving, caring, and want the best for the students. Great communication between the school and home. We have a new Principal and Vice Principal who are doing a great job and are very friendly and out going. Both of my children are challenged and want to do their very best work.

I agree that this school is very $$ hungry! My kids transferred in from Audubon Elementary. According the AES they were doing great! They were exceeding all expectations. HES didn't see it the same and told me kids needed to be held back. I've saw many students held back and it seems high CATS test grades are what they are looking for. It is a good school overall but be warned that do try to push for the $$ and I often feel that that is their ultimate goal - to make good students so they can bring in more $. ((while on the subject of $, there are fundraisers all the time...some of the fundraiser rewards aren't very fair - if your student has the money and can bring in lots you get rewarded while the other children that don't have as much money to donate get stuck watching the rich kids play. ))

This school is better than excellent. My son attended K&1st grade there before we relocated to Virginia. Here we are paying 11k a year in private school tution and the school still can't compare to Highland. My son misses the caring teachers and friendly environment so much that we are moving back so that he can start 3rd grade at the "best school ever" as HE calls it! There is a reason Highland is graded a perfect 10, because it IS that good!

The school is awesome. The best (well most of them, anyway) teachers in Daviess County teach here.

It amazes me how this school is the Blue Ribbon School in Owensboro! My opinion of this school is that they care only about the $ made off of each body that walks through their front door and not about the education success and development of our children! If possible my kids will be in a different school come Fall 2010!!

It is amazing that the school does so well. The principal is a tyrant and the staff is powerless to do anything about it. She is close to retirement, so we will just keep our fingers crossed that she goes soon.

I can't say enough good about HES! My oldest child has gone on to middle school now but was extremely successful in his years at Highland. My youngest is in 4th Grade and is constantly challenged! He is a very bright little boy with a tendency to bore easily. He is able to work at a higher ability level to avoid that! Staff goes above and beyond on a daily basis!

Highland is a wonderful school that keeps the students as well as parents involved. My kids love going to Highland, and I feel very secure in knowing that they are getting a quality education.

Last modified Highland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.