No rating

Bluegrass Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 40 students

Our school is best known for it's Christian world view and service to others.

Living in Richmond

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $131,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $538.

Posted April 26, 2014

We were part of BCS for almost 8 years and had a deep love for the school. We were huge advocates and supporters with our time and money. We felt that for PreK - 5th grade there was no match in Madison County. We are professional, educated and well traveled parents that were always impressed with the results. The issue we never had a single complaint but the 1st time we did were told VERY coldly too bad and if we had any other dislikes don't bother. I still think your child will get a good Christian education in a loving and safe environment. So this is really more of heads up that you need to be a submissive type of parent to be at peace with the board and administration and that no matter how long or how much you have supported the school with your resources you are not viewed as a client and no consideration is given to you. It was sad and shocking. So hopefully both the administrator and board can learn from their mistake with our family. Lastly, please know this county needs a Christian school like BCS but it will never have a strong one until the hypocritical pastors in this town start financially supporting one.

Posted April 3, 2014

BCS is a wonderful Christian school. Caring and qualified teachers. The new headmaster is amazing.

Posted December 5, 2013

Christian oriented, student friendly and combines education in a Christian setting. Well worth the investment in the future of a child to realize the full potential which God has planned for their life.

Posted December 5, 2013

I'd add that BCS is an accredited educational institution by the state of Kentucky. They are the only Christian school in Madison county with that badge. The State accreditation does not however require them to use the N.E.A. approve materials or the "common core" materials. They use ABEKA and to great success.

Posted December 4, 2013

Bluegrass Christian School provides a wonderful Christian education for its students. The leadership at this school is phenomenal; the teachers and staff are amazing. The new Headmaster, Dr. Bonita Cobb, has professionalized this school with her extensive background in education, leadership and strong conviction of solid Christian Education; all for the glory of God. How fortunate these children are to be a part of this school.

Posted December 3, 2013

This school is wonderful, they have a true heart for the Lord.. and a true love for their students as well. I have two children that go to school there and already know more bible verses at 3 years old than most people know as an adult. They also have a new Headmaster that has brought a new view to the school and nothing but positive response.

Posted December 3, 2013

We have been so happy with what our little girls have learned at BCS this year and they are just in preschool. It is real heart warming when you hear your little one's recite scriptures they have learn or the books of the bible. They even remind us to say blessings before we eat. They have good teachers and a new headmaster that has whipped things in shape. We couldn't be any happier.

Posted December 2, 2013

We are impressed with BCS this year..there is an amazing, new Headmaster and the teachers are wonderful and care about their students education. I give this school 5*****s!! We are so happy that we decided to enroll our child and recommend BCS for those who are looking for their child to have a quality Christian Education.

Posted November 25, 2013

I am so excited to see the changes at Bluegrass this year. With a new Headmaster and almost a whole new staff, the school's atmosphere is completely different than in past years. My child loves all of his teachers, and has gained and new excitement for learning about Jesus. I could not be more pleased with the improvements. I recommended Bluegrass Christian School for all parents seeking a loving and nurturing learning environment for their children.

Posted March 16, 2012

This "school" is horrible, it staff make children do labor work, and they only watch videos! I thought i was paying for my child to get a good edutation, but apparently , this not the case, my child often tells me how displease they are with this place, the teachers dont help or go indepht and my child even says they dont have important classes like they should, im very very concern bout my child future and chances of getting into a good college , im concern bout all the kids who go there as well, for it not as great as they would have you think, teachers dont help, they listen in to private conversastions, they go on a not needed lecture instead of really teaching and they make my child and others clean up places like dusty basement even so im sure they hired someone, for that kind of job, this is not a place to send your child if you want them to have a very good edutation , for all this place is,is bout watching videos , lecturing for not needed lectures instead of teaching and think everything that not good in their eyes is evil, I just thought i warn you all bout this.

Posted January 21, 2011

I am very satisfied with the teachers. I have never seen better teachers anywhere except when my child was younger and attended St. Marks Catholic School (Now My child is too old to attend St. Marks Catholic School anymore). Also, there are not many students in the classes so there is lots more individual attention. If only the older children had better attitudes and morals. The children at Bluegrass Christian are very snotty towards any new students. The girls in particular. They seem to treat any new students like outcasts. I pay $310.00 a month for twelve months for my child to be treated like this in what is supposed to be a "Christian" environment with "Christian" students. These children are very backbiting and extremely sheltered from the real world. I have tried speaking with staff. They supposedly have spoken with the children. But honestly those in the two higher positions or the school counselor seem to really not be very helpful in resolving the issue at hand. What if it was their child I wonder? I will be putting my child on the waiting list for Model. I am just so disappointed. I had such high hopes when I found Bluegrass Christian School.

Posted September 7, 2009

I researched private and public schools in both Richmond and Lexington before deciding to send my child to BCS. The school uses the A BEKA curriculum, wich is the same as Lexington Christian Acadamey. But the tuition is less than half of LCA and classes are small with a student to teacher ratio of about 10 to 1. The school built a new facility 2008 and they are expanding in the basement. All teachers I have encountered are more than willing to do whatever it takes to help your child excel. They have a band program that is almost like private music lessons. They are active in an acclereated reading program.

Posted November 19, 2008

This is an outstanding PreK through 12th Grade school. We have been with the school since it opened seven years ago and there is no other place I would want my children. If an issue every arises, it gets taken care of immediately. Outstanding teachers and administration. It feels great to drop my children off at school and not have to worry about them. These children are extremely loves by everyone here. The academics is excellent! Each year my children have scored well above their grade level on their achievement test scores. I highly recommend this school to anyone who is interested in a Christian education for their children.

Posted September 9, 2008

A christian school is the way to go. This school is it!! If you haven't visited us, please do. See for yourself that Christ is not dead. Kids need to know that. Public schools won't even let you say His name. How sad is that...My son has a personal walk with God, he knows Him, knows Christ is real, knows that prayer changes things. This school and the teachings/beliefs back me up on what I'm instilling in him. I am very pleased. Come see for yourself. Children are accepted of all walks of life. Kids don't feel like they're better than other kids. They're not running around competing with each other. Whose wearing an Abercrombie shirt doesn't matter to them. Everybody is friends. You just have to see to believe. I fully support this school.

Posted April 21, 2008

I am so pleased that there is always time in the principal's day to talk with parents and show special interest in the students. I truly am grateful that there are NO safety issues and that the principal is always present to see and know what happens during the school day with the students. The principal is a very straight forward disciplianarian. Students know that there are high expectations and comply with the rules.

Posted January 19, 2008

I was truly amazed when we were thinking about leaving public education that the principal of the school would committ to coming to a meeting at the public school about our child. What a blessing to have someone show that kind of interest in our child even before we left the public arena. Knowing that the administration was that dedicated to our child showed us that Bluegrass Christian School was where our child needed to be. Praise the Lord for the school, the teachers and the administration.

Posted January 14, 2008

Our daughter supposedly had a learning disability when we pulled her from public school. Come to find out she was just shy and needed extra attention. With class size of 15 or less, she was able to get the help she needed. She now tests a couple grade levels above her current level in several areas. The school is not perfect, (none ever are) but provides a safe, Christian atmosphere with dedicated teachers and an excellent Abeka curriculum.

Posted January 3, 2008

Bluegrass Christian School is now 6 years old. The curriculum is available to 3yr. olds in Pre School all the way to an accreditated high school. The ABEKA curriculum is used and is accepted by most colleges and universities. There are crediable tests and assessments that measure what is taught at this Christian School. At this time, BCS is working towards the certification of the school through the Ky Non Public Schools in Frankfort, KY.

Posted January 3, 2008

It is a school that fosters the spiritual growth of children. They give children a firm foundation in the word. Having attended chapel services at the school and witnessed the actions of students in my church, I know that the administration and teachers at Bluegrass Christian School are dedicated to serving the Lord.

Posted November 7, 2007

Although a Christian school, we're not impressed. (with exception of a few devoted and wonderful teachers) Kids tease, are extremely worldly and many come from rich families. Rules are lax, communication is poor, not progressive, leadership shuts it's ears, and they fundraise constantly without end. We want a school where our kids are learning to live in today's world as Christians and be led by God but we feel like we're wasting our money.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation Eastern Kentucky University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • Dr. Bonita Cobb
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (859) 624-3099

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Abeka
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Eastern Kentucky University
College preparation / awareness offered
College presentations or information sessions
training