No rating

Walden School Corporation

Private | K-12 | 260 students

Living in Woodlawn Park

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $219,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted August 28, 2008

If only ALL schools could mirror Walden... As a new parent last year (I have a 3rd grader) I have found the education level outstanding, the teacher-student ratio to be perfect and the environment to be such a positive, accepting and open one. These teachers are not there to collect a pay check...they love their job. They make learning so much fun that the children look forward to going every day. Come see for yourself, you'll move your children to Walden when you meet the staff, teachers, parents and children. Education doesn't get much better than this!

Posted August 28, 2008

As a parent of two long term students at Walden, I have a perspective on Walden that is longitudinal and based on two very different types of kids and students. My eldest attended all twelve years and is now a very successful college student. She is also and more importantly a well rounded, bright and engaged adult. Walden's focus on her as an individual allowed her to develop her strengths in a nurturing and non threatening environment. While told by our public high school she could not take their advanced classes, at Walden she proved this incorrect by taking multiple AP classes and earning a half year of credits in college. She was challenged to think and create. My yougest is now a sophomore, and has been at Walden since elementary school. A more reserved young woman, she is also finding herself succeeding academically and being challenged.

Posted August 27, 2008

My son attends Walden and has since kindergarten. I was quite surprised to read one person's review as quoted, 'if you want to party go Walden'. Knowing all the teachers as I do, I can't imagine that this college preparatory school would support that kind of attitude. That person certainly didn't learn that value at Walden. The teachers take a one on one approach to learning and no child is left behind. If ever there's a problem it's caught early and every possible avenue is explored to help the child overcome whatever difficulties. I don't think every school can say that. The school's educational excellence is evident in the fact that 100% of it's graduating seniors are accepted to the college of their choice. You definitely do not graduate just by paying the tuition. Visit the school yourself and then you decide.

Posted August 27, 2008

This school hits exactly the right tone. It is warm and nurturing, yet still has high expectations both for academics and behavior. Over the years, I proven to be a bit particular about who I leave my son with, but I can honestly say I have never had a moment's worry about him at this school. The teacher's are excellent. The class sizes are wonderfully small. The students are well-behaved and creative. It's a wonderful place.

Posted August 27, 2008

As a lower school parent, I can tell you our family couldn't be happier with Walden School. My daughter benefits greatly from the higher academic challenges, and we are very pleased with the level of communication from both the teachers and the administration. You always know how your kids are doing, and the students truely love going to school everyday. I would be leary of any negative reviews where the student stayed at a school for eight years regardless of dissatisfaction. -That just doesn't add up. If you're looking for a small-school setting with a caring faculty and a great selection of after-school activities, you owe it to your child to take a tour.

Posted August 27, 2008

We are the parents of a 6th grader and a 9th grader at Walden. Our children have been in good private schools in Canada, Florida, and the United Kingdom. We can honestly say Walden is the best school our kids have attended, and in our opinion the best private school in Louisville. Great academics (standardized testing, AP scores, college placement and scholarships), small class sizes (10-15), and the environment is unbelievable. The head of school is a gem. Walden is a nurturing environment that gives individual attention to the students. Walk down a hallway at Walden and you will notice the difference. Both of our kids bounce out of bed each morning to go to school. That is not something a parent can force our kids want to be there. We recommend Walden to anyone looking for a great indepent school in Louisville. From Happy Parents with Happy Kids.

Posted August 27, 2008

I have a 14 year old son that has been at Walden since the 1st grade and is now a sophomore in the high school. I cannot imagine a better school than Walden. Every teacher that my son has had has taken a personal interest in him. He has developed a great sense of confidence and self-esteem at Walden because the teachers and staff all help to promote individuality. The class sizes are small enough that I tell my friends that Walden is like home-schooling, only better.

Posted August 27, 2008

I have two children at Walden, one in Kindergarten and one in First Grade. I am the type A mom who started doing school research when my first was a baby. Walden is an amazing school. What I love about Walden is that they truly believe that families come first and that education is a partnership. I love that my needs and concerns are heard and that I am always welcome. The small class sizes here assure that every child is being challenged and is working at their own pace. You couldn't find better teachers and staff than the ones here. I would recommend this school to everyone.

Posted August 27, 2008

Walden's record is exemplary. The indisputable documented facts show that Walden students perform well above the average student and 100% go on to college. Contrary to the one negative review posted, you can't achieve that kind of documented success without a superior academic program. It's likely that the negative reviewer probably isn't even a former student, but for whatever reason has attempted to sabotage Walden's excellent reputation (if it was so bad, why did the reviewer's parents let him/her continue to attend Walden for eight years until graduation?). A visit to the school is what sold me, and I urge interested parents to do the same because seeing it firsthand is far more reliable than one highly suspect negative review.

Posted August 27, 2008

I am a teacher at Walden School and have taught in many schools throughout my career. This is an amazing school with a challenging curriculum. My own child was enrolled in Kindergarten at another school the summer I got hired. He begged me to let him come here. If a five year old could see how great the school is, anyone walking in for a tour will see it too; it is a special place so come check it out. Both my children now go to school here and we are so happy as teacher and parent. I couldn't ask for more supportive parents and intelligent, insightful children to work with.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 27, 2008

I have two children at Walden. One in middle school and one in high school. We've been at Walden for 5 years. If you're looking for a strong Math and Science College Prep School, this is the best school we've found...and we searched. The high school Math Team represents our district with the number #1 position in every grade. Our high school science students score the highest marks across the board. Our oldest child made the Johns Hopkins talent search program and Duke TIP--both meaning she is 99th percentile. If you're tired of being the smartest kid at your school, Walden is filled with the brightest students. It offers a competive atmosphere without the stress of being afraid to stand out.

Posted August 27, 2008

I am a parent at Walden and I am really surprised to see the posting below. I wonder if the parent is not talking about a different school! Walden is by far the best school in town if you are serious about your child's education and all around development. I have surveyed & researched every single school in town for a number of years and none comes close to offering the type of individual attention and care to the students like Walden does. Every single teacher is so committed to evey single child that you sometimes wonder how a teacher could care so much about the kids. Each kid is taught to their capabilities and strengths. I have seen the most amazing set of intelligent, well mannered & wonderful kids at Walden. While Walden may sound too good to be true, believe me, it is true! My kid goes there daily!!!!

Posted August 27, 2008

I attended Walden from middle school through graduation. It was a wonderful experience. Even though the classes were small, I was well prepared for entering a large university. I am currently the parent of a Walden student. My child is well suited for the school size and style of learning there. School selection is a very personal experience and not every school is for everyone. It is very important as a parent to find the correct fit for your child and your family. We were fortunate to find that at Walden.

Posted August 27, 2008

What a joy it has been to send my child to this school! The teachers are the best I've ever encountered. The small class sizes mean, among other things, that I know the parents of every child in my son's class. It's a wonderful family atmosphere. The science and math instruction is especially amazing.

Posted August 26, 2008

Hello I am the mother of a 2nd grader at Walden and was very sad to read the reviews listed here. First let me begin with how truly amazing Walden is, the teachers are out of this world and they educate each individual child. Our child happens to be extremely bright, which is a concern when looking at schools. He has been given above and beyond, and wakes up early to go to school. The friendships grown here and the lessons taught about kindness and understanding are priceless, a gift. When you walk through the doors of the school you can feel the difference. The education is top notch and our students can stand next to any other fine school in town if not surpass them. I am hoping if you are searching for reviews that you are interested enough in coming to see for yourself what Walden offers.

Posted August 26, 2008

I am a parent as well as a former Walden student. I transfered from a large high school in the middle of my junior year to Walden and immediately loved it. If I could have gone there K-12 I would have. Naturally when I had my own daughter I sent her to Walden. She is now in 2nd grade and been there since Kindergarten. We couldn't be happier and she loves it as well. Small classes, individual attention, many sports and activities to choose from, and a loving environment.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 3, 2006

I went to Walden from 4th to 12th grade. Honestly it was horrible. There was no emphasis on learning and I graduated because you pay the tuition. There are better schools in Louisville than Walden please think twice before sending your child there. If you want them to have a decent education go somewhere else. If you want them to party send them to Walden.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 4, 2006

This is a great school. I went there through the middle of 1st grade, to the end of 8th. I transfered in the middle of first, because I hated the school I was going too. It was too big of class size, and I just wasn't pleased with it. I've never really liked school. Because no matter what school you go to, school is still school. But this one has small class size, indivual attention for each kid, and they care about there kids so much. They really care about the kids actually learning something, and not just about getting a passing grade. The learning is at your own rate too. And you have a really good relationship with your classmates and teachers, because of the small class size. It's a great school, and i would recomend it to anyone.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 1%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Catholic
Other private
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00
School end time
  • 2:45 and 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Drama

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Very active walden parent associal st. matthews kiwanis sponosors three youth clubs at walden.