Alexandria, LA

Cherokee Elementary School 3

Posted November 01, 2012
My son attened Cherokee during 2008 - 2010. He had a phenomenal 2nd and 3rd grade teacher. However, his 4th grade teacher was very, very difficult to work with. The principal was no help at all. After calling to the State Board of Education my son got the help he needed - which wasn't much. If you are considering this school stay involved, don't assume your child's needs will be automatically addressed and don't shy away from advocating for your child. I rate this school average because he did have 2 great teachers. His 4th grade teacher did do her job after the State Board was notified.. it shouldn't take that!

Cherokee Elementary School 4

Posted October 31, 2009

Cherokee Elementary School 4

Posted November 15, 2006
This was my girls' first year at cherokee and my 4th grader is in the gifted program and I have a 3rd grader.Overall I love the school,my daughter's teachers and the environment.I think the pto could stand to open up and embrace new families better, but I did come from an out-of-state school district and I realize things weren't going to be the same.I think the parents in charge should have gotten a list of new families and contacted them to welcome them and aask if they could be involved, not everyone can come to all mtgs. There are too many small fund raisers,every time I look up,something else is coming home that cost money and they get the kids all worked up with incentive prizes and no way can a low income family participate in everything,the curriculum is good and the teachers are wonderful,so far.

Cherokee Elementary School 3

Posted November 16, 2005
I agree with the parent that says Cherokee expects the children to be robots. Learning is not fun anymore. I would love to see my children do an actual play with costumes instead they put on Virtue programs where it's all about virtues. I teach my children virtues at home. They are very sweet kids, very well mannered and respectful. But they are still indeed children. Their imaginations are not fed or is their individuality. I had to go to the school 3 times about a bully. The principle once got on the school bus and told all the children that if they did not behave the bus driver was going to pull over and their parents would have to pick them up from the bus station. I don't speak to my children that way nor should they! I am currently looking into better schools with better academic results.

Posted September 08, 2005
Academics at Cherokee are excellent, and the learning is organized. The discipline plan is effective and positive. My adhd child is diong better here than ever before. These people know our children can achieve great things, regardless of race or economics. Great diversity, great learning environment.

Posted August 06, 2005
I have three children who are currently at cherokee. After reading the previous review, i have to wonder if this parent was reviewing the right school. Cherokee is a wonderful school with caring teachers and a reputation for excellence. The teachers do expect a lot from students, but that's why their school performance scores are so high. If you don't expect a lot from kids, you certainly won't get it. There are a lot of parents who transfer to cherokee thinking that the school can make high-achievers of their children. It really doesn't work that way. Cherokee's highest achievers are those who have a history at cherokee and who have grown up knowing that they are expected to do their best in all things. Disgruntled parents are usually those who don't understand when teachers expect more of their children than they are willing to give. We love Cherokee!!

Cherokee Elementary School 1

Posted February 19, 2005
I have had three children go through this school and the quality of education is fine, but the way some of the staff achieve it is horrible. They want the children to be robots and put an extreme amount of pressure on these young children during the Leap and Iowa testing. Most of the teachers are very understanding and caring people but Pray you don't get one that is not because the principles will not help you. They simply tell you what you want to hear and hope the problem goes away. It never does, you just run out of days to take off of work to go get the problem taken care of.

Posted October 29, 2004
This year was my daughter's first year at Cherokee and she has great grades there. The kids are kind.They have Virtue Reports that help you know how your child is doing in the classroom behavior. They have a Beta Club and that's great, too.The teachers are strict to help the childrenlearn more. They help you personaly with all WS they give u if missunderstood.I will recommend this school to all children.The principal is very kind and knows everybody's name.It will be hard to watch my child go to Jr. High next year and leave that school.

Posted July 26, 2004
I think this is the best school my children have ever attended. Excellent staff and parents. A+++

Cherokee Elementary School
5700 Prescott Road, Alexandria, LA  71301
(318) 442-1987
Last modified Cherokee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cherokee Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top