Anacoco High School

Public | 7-12 | 387 students

Posted April 27, 2014

Anacoco is a tiny school in the rural south. As you can imagine, the school doesn't particularly care for outsiders (in ethnicity, culture, or religion). They don't really touch on topics like evolution. There are still regularly-held group prayers. And the amount of effort they put into enforcing insignificant rules (such as the boys and hair touching their eyebrows) is simply mind-boggling. While the teachers are certainly competent, it is worth noting that students that are particularly interested in science or especially mathematics may be suited elsewhere, as they run a good chance of stagnation. They only offer up to "Advanced Math" which is comparable to trigonometry and pre-calculus. As a former student, my peers and I were able to take algebra 1 through accelerated math in 8th grade. While my peers stagnated, I moved and was able to continue on. Upon graduation I'll be done with calc 2, they won t have even touched calculus (unless they insisted on taking college classes). They do have their act together on English though. And I can honestly say that I remember more from my history classes there than anywhere else (and the teachers are fairly open about any biases).

Posted November 6, 2010

I would like to take this opportunity to update a previous entry I made. We are a military family who spent two years commuting from Ft. Polk to Anacoco High and Elementary Schools. We knew we were providing our kids with the best education the area could provide, but were unsure as to whether or not our kids would measure up when we left Louisiana and moved to our next duty station in Pennsylvania. The schools in Pennsylvania are very challenging and the grading scale is higher than that in LA. Well, I am thrilled to report that my son and daughter both received straight A's. They were prepared for school here and I have the utmost respect for all those at Anacoco working hard to provide the kids with a quality education. Our deepest thanks to you!

Posted March 1, 2010

Anacoco is the ideal place to raise a family. The school cannot be topped, Im a former student and I will not let my children attend any other school around. The teachers genuinely care about their students, not only their grades but also the students themselves. I know that high school is supposed to be the best time of your life and for me it really was. I know that when I look back on my time there I cant help but wish I could go back. Anacoco High prepared me soo well for college that i actually got the chance to tutor other students my freshman year at Northwestern State University. I already had a lot of the basic knowledge in my core classes that a lot of the other students didnt have. I have soo much to thank my teachers for at Anacoco High School.You won't be sorry!

Posted May 19, 2008

I am a proud 7th grade student of Anacoco High School. A parents review I read i found was full of lies. If the teachers didnt teach the lessons, then I dont know how, this year, AHS ranked the number one public school in the STATE. We are also number 4 in the state behind LSU magnet and a couple of lab schools. And also because it is all white, that doesnt mean that we are racist. The teachers are always good to us and sometimes reward us for doing well but arent always out of the class and when they are, who wouldnt start to talk. Finally the thing about groups I find weird. Sure we make little groups, but its not like a private club. Anyone can just come in and have a conversation. I will never leave Anacoco and I plan to graduate from it. Go Indians!

Posted May 10, 2007

I am a graduate of AHS (c/o '05). AHS is ranked number one in Vernon Parish in academics, sports and clubs. The faculty and staff are by far the best and bend over backwards to help their students in any way. The school is very tight nit where everybody knows everyone's name. Colleges and VIP's hold AHS students superior to all other students in the parish and AHS receives the most scholarships. I am proud to be a graduate of AHS. Go Indians!

Posted December 15, 2005

To me i think AHS is quite a nice school except for one thing they don't have a lot of classes to take that you want , and they have their own little groups!

Posted September 15, 2005

I think that Anacoco is pretty good,but it doesn't have enough activities and all the students have their own little groups it just isn't right!

Posted September 13, 2005

I attended Anacoco High School from 7th to 12th grade.(1998-2004)Anacoco is focused on academics, and enjoys showing school spirit. It is a competitive school when it comes to sports and academics. The schools goal is to stay on top. The faculty and staff are friendly and willing to help you achieve your goals. Together they helped me prepare for college. The classes at Anacoco may be hard, but they advance you at or past a college sophomore level. My overall experience at AHS was wonderful and I miss it.

Posted August 6, 2005

anacoco has very good teachers however its not diverse its 93%white! An emphasis is put too much on color! The fact that most of the kids can get away with racist slurs is very sad an is one of the many reasons why african americans refuse to even consider going to school there. I was a student at anacoco for 6 years and they were the worst years of my life.I would not recomend this school for anybody's child! also the spanish class is too easy i took spanish 1 and thought it was fun at first till i realized i had to learn twice as much when i switched schools and had to take spanish 2!! overall this school needs work!!!!!

Posted March 2, 2005

I cannot express how fortunate I feel my children are for attending Anacoc schools. We are a military family and have moved around quite a bit during our career. Needless to say, we always worry about the schools we're placing our children in. Anacoco has proven to be very focused on the education and academic advancement of it's students. The faculty is overall very warm and accomodating to students and parents alike. The administration is fair and just in any disciplinary matters and the students on the whole respect the rules and guidelines set before them. It pleases me too, that the system shows a healthy respect for religious choices in a day and age where many people want to shove aside all issues in the matter. Excellent school.

Posted February 5, 2005

I think AHS is the greatest school I have ever been to and i have went to almonst 6 different schools and all are different I like this the most the teachers do really try to teach because they care about us and they like our uniqueness and what we like to do and they let you know this to in my opinion I think AHS is a great school.

Posted January 4, 2005

Though Anacoco is a very small school, it has a good amount of extracurricular activities at the school. They have Character Counts, Honors Club, Track, Basketball, but no football, tennis or hockey. One thing to take note of is that the students there take extreme pride in basketball. Perhaps it is because they have many talented players, but the emphasis is huge. Indeed, Anacoco has great test scores, but on the other hand, the different student courses are limited. The student has to take what everyone else is taking no matter their level of intelligence or if they have taken the course before. Anacoco High is a very small school and they have a hard time opening up to new people. It is almost like Anacoco is in its own little world. In conclusion, it is a good school to go to for learning purposes.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

51 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

51 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4740 Port Arthur Road