Anacoco, LA

Anacoco High School 2

Posted April 27, 2014
Anacoco is a tiny school in the rural south. As you can imagine, the school doesn't particularly care for outsiders (in ethnicity, culture, or religion). They don't really touch on topics like evolution. There are still regularly-held group prayers. And the amount of effort they put into enforcing insignificant rules (such as the boys and hair touching their eyebrows) is simply mind-boggling. While the teachers are certainly competent, it is worth noting that students that are particularly interested in science or especially mathematics may be suited elsewhere, as they run a good chance of stagnation. They only offer up to "Advanced Math" which is comparable to trigonometry and pre-calculus. As a former student, my peers and I were able to take algebra 1 through accelerated math in 8th grade. While my peers stagnated, I moved and was able to continue on. Upon graduation I'll be done with calc 2, they won t have even touched calculus (unless they insisted on taking college classes). They do have their act together on English though. And I can honestly say that I remember more from my history classes there than anywhere else (and the teachers are fairly open about any biases).

Posted March 21, 2013
I graduated from this school and my kids will be going to this school because it is the best school in the area and one of the best schools in the state. I LOVE AHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted November 06, 2010
I would like to take this opportunity to update a previous entry I made. We are a military family who spent two years commuting from Ft. Polk to Anacoco High and Elementary Schools. We knew we were providing our kids with the best education the area could provide, but were unsure as to whether or not our kids would measure up when we left Louisiana and moved to our next duty station in Pennsylvania. The schools in Pennsylvania are very challenging and the grading scale is higher than that in LA. Well, I am thrilled to report that my son and daughter both received straight A's. They were prepared for school here and I have the utmost respect for all those at Anacoco working hard to provide the kids with a quality education. Our deepest thanks to you!

Posted March 01, 2010
Anacoco is the ideal place to raise a family. The school cannot be topped, Im a former student and I will not let my children attend any other school around. The teachers genuinely care about their students, not only their grades but also the students themselves. I know that high school is supposed to be the best time of your life and for me it really was. I know that when I look back on my time there I cant help but wish I could go back. Anacoco High prepared me soo well for college that i actually got the chance to tutor other students my freshman year at Northwestern State University. I already had a lot of the basic knowledge in my core classes that a lot of the other students didnt have. I have soo much to thank my teachers for at Anacoco High School.You won't be sorry!

Posted May 19, 2008
I am a proud 7th grade student of Anacoco High School. A parents review I read i found was full of lies. If the teachers didnt teach the lessons, then I dont know how, this year, AHS ranked the number one public school in the STATE. We are also number 4 in the state behind LSU magnet and a couple of lab schools. And also because it is all white, that doesnt mean that we are racist. The teachers are always good to us and sometimes reward us for doing well but arent always out of the class and when they are, who wouldnt start to talk. Finally the thing about groups I find weird. Sure we make little groups, but its not like a private club. Anyone can just come in and have a conversation. I will never leave Anacoco and I plan to graduate from it. Go Indians!

Posted May 10, 2007
I am a graduate of AHS (c/o '05). AHS is ranked number one in Vernon Parish in academics, sports and clubs. The faculty and staff are by far the best and bend over backwards to help their students in any way. The school is very tight nit where everybody knows everyone's name. Colleges and VIP's hold AHS students superior to all other students in the parish and AHS receives the most scholarships. I am proud to be a graduate of AHS. Go Indians!

Anacoco High School 4

Posted December 15, 2005
To me i think AHS is quite a nice school except for one thing they don't have a lot of classes to take that you want , and they have their own little groups!

Anacoco High School 4

Posted September 15, 2005
I think that Anacoco is pretty good,but it doesn't have enough activities and all the students have their own little groups it just isn't right!

Posted September 13, 2005
I attended Anacoco High School from 7th to 12th grade.(1998-2004)Anacoco is focused on academics, and enjoys showing school spirit. It is a competitive school when it comes to sports and academics. The schools goal is to stay on top. The faculty and staff are friendly and willing to help you achieve your goals. Together they helped me prepare for college. The classes at Anacoco may be hard, but they advance you at or past a college sophomore level. My overall experience at AHS was wonderful and I miss it.

Anacoco High School 1

Posted August 06, 2005
anacoco has very good teachers however its not diverse its 93%white! An emphasis is put too much on color! The fact that most of the kids can get away with racist slurs is very sad an is one of the many reasons why african americans refuse to even consider going to school there. I was a student at anacoco for 6 years and they were the worst years of my life.I would not recomend this school for anybody's child! also the spanish class is too easy i took spanish 1 and thought it was fun at first till i realized i had to learn twice as much when i switched schools and had to take spanish 2!! overall this school needs work!!!!!

Anacoco High School
4740 Port Arthur Road, Anacoco, LA  71403
Last modified Anacoco High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Anacoco High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top