Posted July 25, 2013
This is a great school that is getting better. My children have been here since Pre-K. Now it is becoming a charter school with a high school. They will get to stay through high school. The principal is a great leader who tries to help students and parents. The teachers really care about the students and give them lots of individual attention. The secretary is friendly and helpful when parents come in the office. The assistant principal is a tough cookie who is no nonsense, but she loves the students and helps the parents. I can't say anything bad about the school except the food is not that great.

Posted May 06, 2009
As a parent, I am very happy. The teachers do a good job, and the principal makes the students behave so they can learn. I disagree with the negative reviews. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else.

Beekman Junior High School 1

Posted March 16, 2009
As a former student I don't recommend Beekman Jr High. When I attended Beekman it was academically one of the top schools in the state. In spite of that it was a horrible experience. I hoped that it had improved since I left but judging from the previous 2 reviews in support of it it sounds like it hasn't. One reviewer posted, 'No one I am aware of has had an interest in any other activity <basketball.>' That comment pretty much sums up the attitude of those involved in the school. Tolerance and acceptance is not their strong point.

Posted March 13, 2007
- a former student
I am a former student of Beekman Jr.High,my children attend Beekman as well, over all the school is a very good school, the academics is lacking, but what we do offer is taught by terrific, caring teachers. The principal is a very caring man and he cares about our kids and community.I wouldn't send my children any where else.

Posted January 15, 2007
- a former student
I, as well as my 2 older brothers, attended Beekman Jr. High from K-8. I was tremendously hurt by the comments made about this wonderful school. Beekman provided great teaching as well as great, caring teachers. Beekman now has a softball team with their well-known basketball team on which I played. Young Beekmanites are raised playing basketball, and that's what they love. No one that I am aware of has had an interest in any other activity. When I attended Beekman there was a monthly PTO meeting which my parents attended. At least half of my class is now in an honors program, and is in the upper 25% of our class. Beekman is a wonderful school that will provide great opportunities for many children.

Beekman Junior High School 2

Posted June 27, 2006
- a former student
The school is situated in a small, rural community, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings. It is a small school and with usually more personalized attention and teaching for the students. However, the only extracurricular activity offered is basketball, (both boys and girls teams.) There is no music instruction (namely band), which can be a hardship when the students later attend the Sr. High. In order to participate in band at the high school level students must start in JrHigh, which they can't if they attend Beekman. Parental involvement varies. While local parents are active and supportive of the school, parents of students from outside of the district (this is a voucher school) tend to be less concerned about the school, and are definitely not as involved in PTA, conferences, etc. (I am former student, now a science teacher.)

Beekman Junior High School 0

Posted January 24, 2005
Both of my boys went to Beekman, this being their first year of schooling, my kindergartener was stabbed in the eye with a pencil by a student attending his 2nd or 3rd year of kindergarten there. The repeat kindergartener was never punished or sent home, the principle just simply had a 'talk' with the parents(who didn't care that their brat had almost taken my son's vision). After failing the end of year test, the child was sent on to 1st grade, due to his age. Howbeit, the teacher in this situation had already been to the principle's office 3 times before this with violence issues, she was given no relief. Not only did we change schools, but she resigned the kindergarten class after a decade of being there. Much love to that teacher, but boo to a principle who can be bullied.

Beekman Junior High School
15190 A M Baker Road, Bastrop, LA  71220
Last modified Beekman Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Beekman Junior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top