No rating

St. Thomas More Catholic School

Private | K-8

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Sweep tile

Posted April 14, 2014

I do not like this school at all because of my child's experiences. The staff does not help at all with any of the kids problems. My child comes home everyday saying how his friends get detentions for no reasons. I thought this was a catholic school. This is not how u treaty a kid. And you don't just put a kid in a room with no one guiding him/her this school is insane. We need better teachers. This school is not a school of excellence I believe my kid so much and a ton of parents I hear complaints from. I hear they don't help kids when they get bullied because my niece got bullied here a couple years ago and they didn't help and she went to a different school. The do good helping with religion and during basketball tryouts the school picks favorites and I believe that this school is all about favorites. I see how the staff treats some of the kids

Posted January 8, 2014

Fabulous school of caring faculty and administrators with an exceptional curriculum for academic and religion.....very strong Catholic identity. I wouldn't consider sending my children anywhere else. Our 4 children attended this school and were very prepared for high school and college. It is well worth our daily 30 mile commute!. The BEST of the BEST.

Posted December 2, 2011

STM has completely changed my opinion of private schooling. Prior to having children there, I never felt that private schooling was necessary as long as you lived in the "right" public school district. Now I realize it's much more than that. My eldest daughter is challenged every day by teachers who are willing to skip their own breaks to tutor her if she finds particular difficulty with a subject. My son was finding remaining still and quiet during class very problematic. The teachers and counselors worked with us in a very caring and compassionate manner to get his behavior under control. He now enjoys school and has wonderful conduct grades as well as much less homework. The office staff are extremely knowledgable, helpful, and friendly. I can't imagine a better school.

Posted November 7, 2010

GREAT SCHOOL!!! DEDICATED FACULTY!!! OUTSTANDING LEGACY!!! We wanted our children to have the best educational foundation to prepare them for high school, and we found all of this and so much more at STM. Chidren are taught Christian-based values and treat each other with respect and dignity. We were always welcomed and encouraged at STM to be actively involved in our children's school by volunteering in a variety of activiies such as the annual Mission Day and Parish Fair, field trips, sports, etc. I am proud to say that the warm feeling of family, faith, and pride in school ownership still exists today and will be for generations to come. Go Eagles!

Posted November 7, 2010

I have a child that presently attends St. Thomas School, and I have been extremely pleased with the academic curriculum and the Christian values that are being taught and reinforced on a daily basis. The teachers are very dedicated and make learning exciting for my child. I searched for a faith-based school that had high standards of excellence in education, community, and tradition, and I feel confident that STM has been an excellent choice for my family.

Posted November 7, 2010

STM provides the nurturing and caring environment that we want for our children. Its commitment to academic excellence and the instilling of Catholic morals reflects our family values. The STM family has become an integral part of our lives, and we recommend it wholeheartedly.

Posted November 6, 2010

As a career educator with over thirty years of experience in both public and parochial education, I feel very blessed to be a part of the St. Thomas More Catholic School faculty and staff. STM provides a safe and nurturing environment to develop the whole child - academically, spiritually, emotionally, and socially - into life-long learners and productive members of society. STM has a challenging curriculum with a supportive administration, dedicated teachers, and a caring staff who are committed to their vocation and are called to make a difference in the lives of their students. With over fifty years of successfully educating children, I am thankful that STM continues its well-known tradition of providing a first rate education to the Baton Rouge community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 29, 2010

This was the worst experience of our lives beginning on the first day of school. My son was called a brown guy by a classmate and repeatedly screamed that he doesn't like brown guys. I witnessed this walking him in his Kindergarten class. I told his teacher and never received an apology until I brought it up again several weeks later. His classmates told him they don't play with kids like him, spit at him, and called him stupid. And my son recieves an F in conduct for balancing a pencil on his nose or playing with crayons during instruction period. Are you Kidding? This experience was horrible and I beat myself up everyday for putting my son in this environment. Yes, education was good, but at what cost? Please see addtional post.

Posted May 20, 2010

As a teacher in the Diocese of Baton Rouge, I am very displeased with the morals that are already being taught to my child at STM, and he is only in kindergarten-that being one of the many reasons he will be attending Sacred Heart of Jesus in BR next year. STM does not , support the high schools in the Diocese of BR first. They promote St. Joseph's and Catholic of BR first, St. Michael's second and Redemptorist last. I want my child to be in a place that is the real world and not some cookie cutter fairy land. If you make A's-its wonderful, D's & F's-they might help you, in the middle with C's-your left to fend for yourself. People do not put their kids there solely for a Catholic education, but for social status. I don't think God is smiling down...

Posted May 9, 2010

As a former student at STM, I can say it's a really bad school. Since new administration has come, education has been gradually slipping with several underqualified teachers in nearly every department. When I was there, I never felt challenged, except in my sixth grade year, and I felt extremely ostracized because I was one of the few people who played no sports. Mostly teachers turned a blind eye to my problems, or would not offer me necessary help to solve them on my own. It angers me that my parents have sunk so much money into the school for a sub par education.

Posted October 9, 2009

I have two children at STM, and I am also a graduate of the school. I am 100% pleased with the education they are receiving. My children are making friends that are kind and caring. Not only are the friends kind, but their parents as well. Nurturing environment is a concept that is in the school's mission statement and has been a focus point for the past several years. In my experience, the teachers and administration ARE caring and concerned for each and every child. The curriculum is rigorous. It sets the foundation for a child's entire learning career!

Posted October 8, 2009

As a parent of 4 children that entered this school from an outside city, we found it to be fabulous. We were treated with respect and compassion. We are a Minority family so I do not understand the comments below.

Posted June 23, 2009

Everything in this school from the admission process to the way the parents and children are treated is based on the economic status of the families. If you are a minority or come from a diverse family you can expect to be discriminated, and that s if you even get accepted. If what you are looking for your children is an excellent education as well as values and respect for others, I suggest you look elsewhere. It is very sad to see how some of the minority families are treated, so please save yourself the disappointment and stress. I m sure your children deserve better than that.

Posted June 3, 2009

As a parent of 2 children who graduated from St. Thomas (1 from 2nd - 8th, 1 from K-8th) I have told parents who asked me about the experiences we had. I've often heard that if your family had money your children were treated better or if you were there from Kindergarten your children were treated better, but we were financially comfortable and were there for a long time. It's more than those things; it is an attitude that permeates the air that is talked about throughout the Diosese. My children were not athletic and they were bullied and taunted (even by the girls). When I complained to the counselors and several administrations(not the current one) they either ignored me or said they didn't see a problem. I feel that they need to realize because St. Thomas More School does real damage to children and their families.

Posted June 6, 2007

I was a student at STM from 1st thru 8th grade. I felt so very happy there, that I later became a teacher at the school. I was a teacher at STM for 10 years. STM is a wonderful school! The students, staff, and parents are some of the most amazing I have ever come into contact with. I am so proud of the educational efforts made at the school as well as the discipline. It is a shame that people feel the need to make such terrible complaints for the world to see. I can only hope that people realize for every difficult story there are numerous stories of growth and success. I am STM proud!! -Erin Baxley Gatlin
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 31, 2007

Our family transferrred from one EBR school to STM three years ago. We are not a family of influence or money but were warmly welcomed into the school and community. Both of our children are thriving in the academic and social setting and are extremely happy. The religious formation and dedication to instilling strong Christian values AND the needs of the whole child are outstanding. The guidance department is exceptional with two full-time counselors working with students and families as needed. The extra-curricular program offers something for both boys and girls at all age levels. I'm sorry others who posted to this site had bad experiences but obviously, that is the exception and not the norm.

Posted April 20, 2006

I am an alum of STM. I came to this school in 3rd grade and I had a bad home life. This school has taught me how to have self respect and work hard. The teachers were excellent and the extra curriculars were amazing. I read a couple of reviews that blamed the school for not making their child feel welcome. I feel that this blame is missed placed. I also was not overwhelmingly accepted by the other students, but I believe that those students' parents are more the force behind their discrimination not the school. No school is without bullies and unkind kids. However, I always felt accepted and loved by the administration and faculty. STM gave me a great foundation for my education and life and I am thankful. If I had children I could only hope that they would get a chance to attend a school like STM.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 29, 2005

As a former student of St. thomas more, I feel that I should comment on the time I had there. The only word that comes to mind is HORRIBLE. The kids were very unwelcoming. If you werent there since kindergarden you pretty much were an outsider. The teachers dont seem to care and although the education is good. Your childs happiness should be equally important. So I caution you please think hard before sending your child to this school! If i could grade it I would give the school an F.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 3, 2005

Great school. Great education with emphasis on unity in the Catholic community. Alot of parental involvement. Emphasize the total student.

Posted May 1, 2005

I attended STM and now all three of my children attend. I love this school and my children are thriving beautifully here. They love their friends, teachers, and administrators. The academic curriculum is challenging and the intramural athletic curriculum is fantastic! The parental volunteer involvement is incredible and very welcome by the school staff and administration. STM school teaches Christian morals and values, and the children are able to participate in various mission project throughout the year. Our school is an extension of our family and I wouldn't allow anyone else to educate my children.

Asian 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Band
Performing and written arts
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Baton Rouge

Performing arts
  • Drama

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11400 Sherbrook Dr