Hosanna Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 700 students

We are here for the children.

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $197,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $700.

Sweep tile

Posted November 20, 2013

I have been particularly impressed with how the school's leadership addresses potentially difficult situations. I can honestly say that politics do not play a part at HCA. I have recently, very recently, seen the Adminstration make some unpopular decisions, but clearly the right things to do.... Spiritually, the Campus Pastor is GREAT for the kids. I feel good about my child's teachers, some more than others, but they are all competent. Some are very good. I like the easy access to teachers and administrators; personnel cell numbers, etc. I don't always agree with every decision, but I always feel heard, and I believe the leaders always do what they feel is best for the students.

Posted October 25, 2013

I was excited when I initially enrolled my kids at HCA last year; however, each day I grow more and more disappointed, so I will be pulling them out next year. If I could now I would; however, I'm a private pay parent that's locked in a contract. HCA does not meet the expectations one would expect when paying to send their kids to private school. HCA's admin has accepted so many voucher students, the school is now very overcrowded. The student-teacher ratio in most classes is too high for a "private" school. It makes me question where the focus is... Is it teaching these kids or is it money? With the large influx of voucher kids/state voucher money, way more than last year I might add, plus the increase in tuition costs for private pay parents, plus the numerous fund raisers the school has, one would think that you would see some improvement in the condition of the school! Think again! The facilities and classrooms need repairs/updates, the parking lot is full of pot holes, the kids do not have lockers - HCA is extremely disappointing. So this is it for us. If the condition of my "private" school is equal to or worse than my nearest public school, I'd rather save than waste.

Posted October 18, 2013

We could not ask for a better school! We have attended HCA for over ten years. I have two children whom attend Hosanna. During previous years we have witnessed changes in the school. HCA has had Administrators that loved God which is a great characteristic at a christian school. That is one of the reasons were still attending. "To much is given much is required". Administrators are given a plan from God. Leadership is needed to step out on faith to fulfill God's plan. Leaning not on our own understanding but totally trusting him. Thank God we have an administrator that has both qualities; loves the Lord with all his heart and leadership ability to fulfill God's plan for our school HCA. I am honored to have two kids attending a school where its ok to worship and that holds parents,teachers and students alike accountable to God's word on and off its campus.

Posted October 17, 2013

I could NOT have asked for a better school. I am 100% pleased with Hosanna Christian Academy. I currently have 2 kids enrolled at Hosanna Christian Academy and plan on them graduating from Hosanna. I am a PROUD parent and I approve this message..........

Posted September 25, 2013

This school is AWESOME!!!!! I'm a volunteer at this school and I love it. It has the right name in it Hosanna CHRISTIAN Academy and that is what it is a Christian based School. The teachers and staff are very friendly and their motto is WE ARE HERE FOR OUR CHILDREN, that is so true. You always will know what your child is doing in school at all times. That means that they are there for OUR kids. Thank you God it's a truly blessing.

Posted September 24, 2013

This is an awesome school! It had been and always will be. Keep up the great job HCA!! We need a lot more parent involvement in every school.

Posted July 29, 2013

I find it strange I put a truthful but bad review and it has been erased. My daughter attended Hosanna for two years the first year was great the second year when the changes was made and the voucher students came was terrible do not send your child their the school has gone to the ground

Posted May 29, 2013

This school has gone down hill over the years. They have now accepted hundreds of voucher students and laid off many great teachers so they can hire cheaper unexperienced teachers. Do not send your children here.

Posted May 18, 2013

I took my daughter from Hosanna two years ago, but with the new leadership who came, I brought her back. I appreciate the true leadership present at the school. They don't make decisions just to be popular, but rather seek to make decisions that are in the best interest of students. I am thankful for Hosanna Christian Academy.

Posted May 17, 2013

This place has been steadily going down for the last 5-7 years. They most certainly do not provide a quality education. You might as well send your kids to EBR public schools. If the state provided vouchers are overturned, they will not be able to sustain. Buyer beware...

Posted May 14, 2013

Sad actually... Thankfully, i no longer attend this school, but from my years of being here, i can honestly say the school has taken a turn for the worst, and hasn't recouped since. The school began to fall around 2006 and continued on it's decline up till i left in 2012. from a wave of bad leadership, to subpar education, all i can say is that it's really disappointing. The person in charge of the school is never actually there, but instead works "behind the scenes". He has a "Supervisor" over the actual elementary and high school. When i went to take the ACT with other kids at a separate public high school, i began to realize they were learning way more than i was, which in all honesty left me feeling like i was missing out. As far as programs for the kids, this school really doesn't have anything besides track, basketball, beta, and drama. Spiritual leadership lacks greatly as well, and i believe they cater to the masses rather than the truth. One last thing i would like to point out is the reviews. I find it a tad odd that each time a bad review is posted, a good one is put right on top of it. Hosanna Christian Academy is no for me.

Posted April 23, 2013

I LOVE HOSANNA CHRISTIAN ACADEMY! It is a place where m y child and many other children are having an opportunity to receive a quality education and receive the gospel of Jesus Christ! Hosanna is a place that invest in its students...one thing that stands out the most at HCA a motto that the school lives by "WE ARE HERE FOR THE CHILDREN!" They put the students 1st in every decision that is made! #HCA 4 LIFE!

Posted April 23, 2013

When the doors opened in August, Hosanna's halls were filled with students who didn't want to be here. They had been pulled away from friends and the familiarity of their old schools. By October, most of those same students had become comfortable in their new environment and were making new friends. Just the other day, I spoke with a student who had been vehement about "getting out of here," but now, is hoping she gets to come back next year. She realized that people cared about her and wanted to help her succeed. That, to me, is a success story.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 23, 2013

I currently have two kids that are attending Hosanna Christian Academy. one in the 10th and 1 in the first grade. I am 100% satisfied with Hosanna Christian Christian Academy. I could not imagine my children being anywhere else. They are recieving a GREAT education. I could not ask for better teachers/staff. God is truly blessing this school. No parent could ask for better.

Posted April 18, 2013

I wrote a report on here.... and my report must have magically disappeared also. Go figure.... LOL! I was a teacher at HCA and my daughter attended the school. Like the negative comments that were made. I saw first hand how true they were!! PARENTS DON'T BE FOOLED! Do your homework and make sure that this place is right for your child. Compare it with other private schools and ask previous teacher/students why they left.

Posted April 18, 2013

I love this school. My kids are learing and doing much better than the regular public schools. My kids are in kindergarten and they are learning things that are taught in the 2nd grade. Thanks Hosanna Christian Academy for accepting and teaching my kids in advance good education materials and having smart, reliable teachers. I don't know why there were negative comments but I haven't experienced and hope to NOT experience. But so far, everything is good. Thanks Hosanna!!

Posted April 12, 2013

As with most Christian schools; the staff desires to be Christ-like, yet the actual product is more often business-like. As to sports, it currently only offers two for boys (track and basketball) . As to tuition, it has risen from less than $ 5 k per year to over $ 6 K in 2 years, as it takes over 80% voucher students next year. Both the Church and school have dramatically changed; and in fairness, compaired to other private schools in Baton Rouge, it's national scores and overall experience falls short. Soon the tuition will be as much as the state will bear. Parent of student.

Posted January 16, 2013

My son is enrolled in Pre-K. He has come a long way since arriving there. Now he's calmer and more attentive. He's not only learning new words but I find him constantly trying to use them in sentences, which is very comical at times (LOL). The teachers have given him ample attention and he is making great improvement. I would highly recommend this school to anyone wanting their child to not only excel academically but spiritually and emotionally. As far as the negative reviews I've read I'm really shocked to hear the type of interaction they claim to have had with the principle and staff here at Hosanna. I've come to know these people personally and every problem or issue I've had has been resolved quickly, with me and my child's best interest at heart. I'm very impressed with the leadership at Hosanna Christian Academy!!!

Posted June 13, 2012

i am not sure what happened to all the negative reviews that were on here for the last couple of years. but apparently they have been taken off and only the good ones are allowed now.. But my daughter has been going to this school for the last two years. she came from a Christian school and is very devout. so it was quiet a shock to transfer to this school. they preach one thing but their actions are very different. They treat the majority of the children attending badly. meaning they talk down to them, they look for ways to get them out., they do not stick by their words. They do not give the children the education they need. Most of the children coming in from other schools know more than the teachers. Which is a shame. Most of the children that my child started with have been pulled out to go to other schools. Where they can get a good education. Their ratings has dropped to an all time low. The other schools we applied for would just shake their heads when they found out where we were at. Saying oh yes we have heard the horror storie from that school. So if you want a good school for your child go somewhere else. even public schools are better than this one.

Posted May 7, 2012

My daughter has been attending Hosana for 3 years and I am thouroughly impressed. My reason for sending my daughter to Hosana was because we wanted her to be well rounded. Excelling academically is very important but most importantly to my husband and I is our kid's relationship with Jesus Christ. We teach our daughter the word of God and we speak the word over her life, but its a great feeling to know that the teachers and facilty are praying and in agreement with you about the issues concerning your child. The morals and values that we are teaching our daughter at home are being reinforced at school. My daughter was having a tough time learning to read. It concerned me greatly and I scheduled a meeting with her teacher. An administer, her teacher, and the principle met with us in the principle's office and we came up with a plan to help her with reading. We finished with a prayer. God is good! I'm happy to report my daughter has improved in her reading and will be graduating from kindergarten to the first grade. I'm greatful for their great concern for my daughter and her future. We have a 3 month old daughter and we look forward to sending her to Hosana as well.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 68% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 25% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 55% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 10% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation LSU
BRCC
SELU
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 4:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • S. Josh LeSage
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Assembly of God
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (225) 926-8458

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Louisiana State Curriculum
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
LSU
BRCC
SELU
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
SAT/ACT prep classes