No rating

The Dunham School

Private | PK-12 | 802 students

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $221,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted November 17, 2014

My family has been at Dunham for 8 years, and I am so thankful for what Dunham has done for my children and has meant to my family! My children are encouraged to reach their full potential academically as well as to flourish in the arts and athletics. No school is perfect; and every school has problems. With Dunham's small class comes higher tuition. But, having teachers/coaches who know my children and invest in their lives the way The Dunham School does is worth it. Blessed to be a part of this school!

Posted November 16, 2014

I have two children that currently attend Dunham. I have had children in the catholic school system and public and I can truly say that Dunham is the most Christian, loving, and nurturing school in Baton Rouge. Not only has Dunham challenged my children educationally they do a wonderful job of teaching Christian morals and values. At other schools we have been told "we can't help your child". Dunham will never tell you they can not help your child learn to the best of their ability. My two children learn differently, and Dunham has offered our children an individualized education that will help them in weak areas and challenge them in areas where they excel. The faculty truly cares about our children and our family. My children have been loved and nurtured at Dunham, they love going to school everyday. Dunham has become not just a school it has become our family. We love the small classes and the individualized attention that our children receive. My husband and I are extremely happy with Dunham and can not imagine sending our children any where else.

Posted November 16, 2014

As a graduate, I can say that this school is what you make of it. I really loved my experience here, and I was definitely academically prepared for college. I had the opportunity to take multiple AP courses and earn successful scores because of my teachers. I had great relationships with the faculty; they truly cared about me and wanted me to succeed. So, if any parents are reading this, please know that this school is not "easy" (as other parents are saying) unless you make it easy. Dunham offers students the opportunity to take harder classes, but only a handful of students are willing to take the challenge. Personally, I believe that sending me to this school was the best decision my parents have made for me. Dunham prepared me both spiritually and academically for the steps beyond high school.

Posted November 10, 2014

The Dunham School has helped my family call Baton Rouge home! The school has a welcoming atmosphere that you feel when you walk onto campus. Never do you pass someone without saying hello. The small class size has allowed for my child to receive instruction on his level. The Dining Hall is excellent with local ingredients and healthy choices ... encouraging my child to try something new! The Harkness Method allows students to find their voice at a table setting. Dunham students learn how to participate in productive group conversations. The technology is the BEST in the city ... recognized 4 times as an Apple Distinguished School. No other school in the city can say that! Each day I feel blessed to drive onto the campus!!

Posted October 23, 2014

This school is expensive and only increasing tuition. You might want to check out the other schools in the area that have more programs in place already.

Posted August 29, 2014

Dunham is exactly what my husband and I want for our daughters. The education is perfectly tailored for each students. Having gone to a private Christian school as a student myself, I know that there is a broad spectrum of independent schools and thier quality. Dunham is of the highest quality in Christian education. Their approach to teaching students challenges and grows each student in a safe and secure environment. We have had 8 different classroom teachers and many more enrichment teachers and our girls have been loved, been challenged by, and encouraged by each one. We wanted a Christian school where they would learn the Truth and see Jesus in the lives of their teachers while being given the best possible education. That is exactly what Dunham has given to them both. From the carpool drop off to the pick up after their many after school clubs and opportunities, we have nothing but the highest praise for Dunham and its faculty and staff! Thanks for such a great experience! We look forward to many wonderful years at Dunham in the future.

Posted June 1, 2014

Most of the students and teachers at this school are very friendly and nice, but the administration seems to be having problems. Dunham is getting into financial trouble, and it is impacting the whole school.

Posted May 27, 2014

This, unfortunately, is the 3rd post I have made to this website warning interested parties about the poor academic quality of teachers at The Dunham School. It seems each post has somehow magically disappeared. I would not continue to try to re-post if I did not feel the importance of warning prospective parents and students. We pulled both of our children out of Dunham two years ago and couldn't be happier at Parkview! Oh was a difference warm, caring and compassionate teachers make! Very different from the judgmental, critical and harsh (yet primarily first year teachers) at Dunham. Even the teachers outwardly complain about the administration and many confidentially confess that they only stay because it is "easy" in that there are basically no expectations. It is unfortunate that so many children are being forced out because of the bullying of the administration. No wonder bullying is a problem among the students.

Posted March 1, 2014

In reference to the last post... I don't think God approves of using the Dunham school to charge $24,000 for incompetent programs and teachers. These parents that come to the Mac center are looking for a place for their children with learning disabilities to help them. I don't think they expect them to fall way behind due to lack of a true program. This was the case for my child. He want there for 5th grade...I changed schools and he was very behind! I believe this program is in big trouble!

Posted February 19, 2014

I have never seen a school like Dunham. Their entire approach to education is vastly different from any college prep school or Christian school. They truly seek to develop and maximize the unique abilities of every child. They are compelled to strive for excellence in every facet of the school knowing that God desires everyone to do our absolute best in everything we do so we bring glory to Him. God doesn't want mediocrity....he wants our BEST! This means rigor and discipine in academics, athletics, arts and spiritual life. Dunham students learn how to collaborate and think critically through proven methods like Harkness. Dunham prepares kids for life well beyond college through an education that shapes minds and hearts. The school incorporate a biblical worldview in all curriculm. Most prep schools are primariy focused on accepting the very best students and catering to the students with the highest academic ability through designed instruction that teaches students information that will be on standardized college acceptance exams. Dunham teaches students to love learning, acquire knowledge and apply that knowledge. God is using The Dunham School to imact kids in amazing ways!

Posted February 18, 2014

We have been at The Dunham School for 9 years and love it. I am so grateful for the dedication and commitment the faculty show to our children. I love knowing that their teachers and coaches are rooting for them, investing in them, and praying for them.

Posted February 3, 2014

I agree with the other posters . This school is very expensive....the teaching and programs just aren't there! Not at all worth the HIGH tuition ... and I agree with the comments below about the Mac center...and that is..hope you dont need to use it!! PLEASE DONT REMOVE! Thanks.

Posted January 15, 2014

Two of my children have graduated from Dunham and I have two others still attending. No school is perfect, but with that being said, Dunham teaches them critical thinking in small student/teacher ratio classes. They are Christ centered in their approach in teaching a Christian Worldview. My two graduates are thriving in college and medical school with such an excellent foundation from Dunham. They have ramped up the academics over the last decade with excellent results. The Dunham Community of parents and teachers is to notch- helped our family through lots of difficult circumstances. THANK YOU to Dunham for helping my children reach their potential.

Posted June 24, 2013

Our children have been students at Dunham for several years now. We couldn't be happier with the decision to enroll them here. My kids are academically challenged by teachers that genuinely care about them. Their academic schedules are designed around their strengths; as parents of bright, gifted kids, I love knowing they are challenged at every opportunity. Sports are great; teachers are fantastic, and the other involved families are raising their kids the same way we are. This is a GREAT school, and we are blessed to be a part of it.

Posted August 9, 2012

As a former student and athlete for my entire duration at Dunham, I'd like to give my input. As far as the bullying claims go, I don't doubt that it does occur from time to time simply because it occurs at EVERY single school in some form. Yes, even Episcopal, Parkview or any other Private/religion-based school. I hope the victim of the previous case is able to start fresh and rebound from the incident. That being said, Dunham is still a great school. It's unfair to judge the entire school on one or a handful of "bad eggs" from a class. There will always be that group of kids or that one kid who is attention-starved and will do whatever it takes to get the attention of their peers, even if it's negative. I think all you can do as a parent is to daily encourage your child to stand up for what is right and as an example even if it goes against the grain. Bc I will tell you those bad eggs in high school are also in college and there are a lot more of them. It's a lot better to learn how to deal with peer pressure in high school then college, when the consequences are a lot more serious. One final note-don't believe everything u hear from kids in high school EVEN with bullying. KidsFib

Posted February 12, 2012

My family has been affiliated with the Dunham School for six years. I have read posts below suggesting that Dunham has a bullying problem and that the school does not listen to parents' concerns. This has not been our experience. Bullying exists in every school on some level, and when our son experienced a minor bullying issue, it was swiftly dealt with by the lower school principal. Similarly, Dunham is not an inexpensive school. It is predominantly school for upper middle class and affluent families seeking a college preparatory education that includes a strong Christian influence. It embraces diversity and provides some scholarships, but some families do not appreciate that Dunham is working to be a peer of the nation's elite independent schools. The school is sensitive to the cost of a Dunham education and the budgets of its families, but tuition will likely continue to rise annually, a d families will be expected to support fundraising and building campaigns as The Dunham School continues to grow and build its reputation and academic and athletic programs.

Posted February 4, 2012

I taught at The Dunham School and wouldn't consider sending my children to any other school. It is truly a community that rallies around it families. Well balanced children who make positive contributions to society and eternity is the mission of the faculty and staff at the school. I think that they do an incredible job at fulfilling this mission.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 25, 2012

My daughter is in her first year at Dunham for 7th grade and could not be happier. She has blossomed and the kids and teachers have been wonderful. This has been the best thing for my child and I'm looking forward to the next 5 years at Dunham.

Posted January 9, 2012

My son attended Dunham and graduated last year. It is a wonderful school, with a very warm and caring atmosphere and attitude. It is well worth the money and is the best investment financially a parent can make, your child's education and their future!! The academic and spiritual emphasis is high and the school is well rounded with all the sports, music, drama and art programs as well. I am very thankful that my child had the opportunity to attend this fine school. He never experienced or witnessed any bullying as I noticed one other parent has stated several times.

Posted November 28, 2011

The Dunham School is an average school academically that charges a ridiculously high tuition for the academic experience that it provides. It suffers from the "little rich white kid" syndrome and has a horrible bullying problem that lurks beneath its surface. They purport to be a "Christian" SCHOOL, BUT DO NOTHING TO STOP THE PROBLEMS. For the money charged, you are much better off going to Episcopal.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (225) 767-7056

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11111 Roy Emerson Drive