Posted November 09, 2013
I'm more than satisfied! I know my child is in a nurturing, structured, and safe educational environment!!! My child is a 6th-grader at MLK (been there since K-4). Based on what I know & have seen at local schools, there's no where else I'd rather my child be. I would like for MLK to add high school. One parent felt the 'school' only focused on intimidating the kids. Well, I believe they're mistaking intimidation w/DISCIPLINE. Being in the education profession, I visit other schools, talk to other educators, and see many, many students that lack discipline & respect for authority (talking back to/disrespecting teachers/principals, walking out of/skipping classes). If these students had discipline...or were 'intimidated', they wouldn't commit these behaviors. And the staff at MLK will not tolerate it (love it). Preparing the students? I know MLK follows a curriculum that's aligned w/what's required by the state of LA. Parents! You must do your part, & not put everything on the teacher. You know your child's strengths/weaknesses (the staff/parent communication is awesome), so make sure they're studying/practicing, and stop looking for someone to blame.

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy 4

Posted September 28, 2010
I am sorry to hear some of the negative comments made about the school, the staff, and the curriculum. I have personal knowledge of the performance level of the majority of the students who have in the past and who are presently attending the school. Most parents are aware of the progressive Scott Foresman curriculum and find it very challenging for their children. However, these parents are motivated to jump in early on and get control of the situation the child is facing. This endeavor results in a successful school year. The average leap scores are above the normal range. Yes, some students don't do well. There are many different reasons for this ranging from their inability to grasp the knowledge to lack of parental participation in there education. Education is not something that you put on the back burner until it's too late. Get involved early

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy 3

Posted July 08, 2009
I think the school should grasp at hiring more experience and certified teachers, teachers that are graded on their performance, just because they have certification does not mean they are teachers, we experts, especially in the field of math and reading comprehension. If the students are taught the basics reading, writing and arithmetic, then they will be able to step up to any challenge within the academic curriculum. I think that we the parents are paying far beyond what we are getting towards education for our children.

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy 0

Posted September 06, 2008
Overall I think MLK is a good school, I attended MLK from elementary to middle school. When I graduated I had to receive tutoring in math, I agree that they need to change there curriculum. Sometimes the teachers where very intimidating at times, but sometimes that is needed. I think they need more activities for the students and more electives for the students.While attending MLK I received good grades, but I am natural motivated to learn. If you want your kids to be succuss in life, take time out with them to make sure that they are learning the necessary things that will help them be successful in life.

Posted August 23, 2008
I have seen the comments and I have to disagree with them. If the curriculum was so bad then parents would have started pulling their children out once they saw a problem. MLK is actually now using the same books as the public schools use. We have new teachers that have some public school directions. On top of that God is in control of the school and he is allowing it to be used for his glory. So before people talk badly about MLK they should evaluate whether their child went there for an education or to waste their parents money.

Posted July 21, 2008

Posted December 09, 2007

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy 3

Posted October 08, 2007
The school is not preparing the students to function in the basics of education, my child attended and was not prepared for the Leap, his reading and math was extremely poor. The staff should look at a more challenging curriculum. They intimidate the children into submission, but the structure is poor. The children who attend ate ill prepared for life after MLK. Most of them fall behind when going on to public schools, this is sad. We are paying for a better education, through smaller class sizes,etc...but MLK does not supply the answer.

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy 2

Posted May 31, 2007
My Daughter attends MLK. The curricular is not challenging. Although my daughter passed the leap test, she was not nearly prepared for the math portion. I feel MLK should look into providing college prep courses or a more advanced curricular. This would prepare our children for high school and college.

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy 1

Posted May 07, 2007
My daughter was previously a student here. They were more focused on intimidating the children over anything else.

Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy
Po Box 53348, Baton Rouge, LA  70892
Last modified Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Martin Luther King Jr Christian Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top