PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Overall, most are effective. However, there seems to be no continuity from year to year. If in one year, your child is doing just fine by that teacher's standards, one would think the following year would be the same. We have been told the next year's teacher is just "too hard" for my child and that the child won't be able to "keep up", even though this child kept up just fine this year. I question how one year is fine with one teacher but the next is not. If the child successfully completed the program this year, one would expect that teacher to have adequately prepared the child for the same program in the following year.

The families at St. Jude are wonderful, and many of the teachers are, as well. However, I feel the administration is making decisions that are not in the best interest of my child and is creating an atmosphere of quitting a difficult task rather than striving for excellence. The communication from teachers and administration is nil. For example, if a child must maintain a certain grade to stay in an honors program, that should be communicated at the very beginning of the year. Likewise, if the use of a tutor is going to be a penalty, this too should be clearly communicated from the outset. Instead, the administration waited until the last week of school and simply let us know that our child is being removed from the program the next year, even though that child has maintained a good grade all year. The school is effectively removing any possibility this child take Algebra in the 8th grade and therefore eliminating any possibility of this child taking college level classes while in high school. To remove a child from a program with such strong ramifications because the child might possibly-- but has not yet-- failed to succeed is beyond infuriating as a parent. Perhaps this is the trend at all schools, but I only have experience with this school. Parents, ask questions, look around and do not assume any school is the right fit for your child just because everyone says it is great, it is in a certain part of town or the tuition is a certain amount. Use your own gut and make your own call. If I had listened to mine, we probably would have left some time ago.

Love St. Jude. The smaller size of the school lends itself to the family feeling. Academics are on par with other area schools and are welcoming to new students. Interviewed at 2 other Catholic schools and knew St. Jude was the place for my children.

St Jude has been the perfect school for our sons. A small community that feels like family. My sons love their teachers and we feel like they are learning and growing in the Catholic faith.

Actually, we spent two years at St. Aloysius and then chose St. Jude. Have been at St. Jude for five years.

Fortunately, if a parent is going to make a commitment to their child's education, I know they would do more than just trust the opinion of some anonymous reviewer hiding behind the safety of the infamous "anonymous parent" signature. If you want to find out what St Jude is about, just ask real people, not internet posters. Ask parents, ask the kids, talk to the administrators, just ask. We have two children attending St Jude, and we love it. It is a GREAT community of families. We have been extremely pleased with every aspect of the school, from the priest, to the teachers, to the administrators, to the family involvement. St Jude is a smaller school, which we love, because we basically know all of the parents in both of our kids' classes. For us, this is a great thing. Go to the fair and talk to families there. But don't trust this post, just ask. Real people will give you real answers. Just ask. Our answer will be, we are proud to be part of the St Jude family.

Sadly, Great Schools requires me to put at least one star. The education is sufficient, but there are so many other problems with the school that is is not worth your money. Administration does not properly handle any problems, and often ignored all thoughts from both me, my husband, and my children. My children dreaded attending this school because they were ignored by staff when problems arose. There is much more that could be said about this establishment, but I will keep my review brief. Choose any other Catholic School in the area before choosing St. Jude.

Administration is dismal at best. They have proven themselves to me to be petty, vindictive and dishonest. They share all the qualities of a couple of grade school bullies except these bullies are the principal and her toady. Many of the parents I have spoken to share this opinion. Private school costs way too much to have your children used as leverage against you if you so much as question a decision about whats best for your child (our healthcare providers questioned their decisions too). There is not enough room here to voice all of the problems I have had with this school's administration. Look into St. Aloysius or St. George until the dioceses decides to clean house in St. Jude.

My husband and I moved back to Baton Rouge a few years ago, and after visiting and reviewing several of the best Catholic elementary schools, chose St. Jude. Of all the schools, it was the most welcoming, solid academically and half the size of St. George and St. Aloysius! We have had a wonderful experience so far with both our daughters and look forward to many more years there.

It seems my family has had the complete opposite of the reviews below. Our children have been at St. Jude since Pre-K, and we could not be more pleased with the quality of education they are receiving. The teachers are warm and welcoming, and administration has been quick to help out with anything we have needed. We will happily continue sending our children to this excellent school!

Last modified St. Jude School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8