Baton Rouge International School

Private | K-12 | 202 students

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Sweep tile

Posted June 7, 2011

The below review bothers me. We do have technology in the classrooms and all students K and up go to technology class each week. We do have sports: on campus Fall and Spring soccer, basketball, off campus tennis and golf. We also have a drama, choir, chess, and gymnastics club. We are starting phase one of our beautiful master plan. That will leave us with wonderful buildings. We are in our infancy and t-buildings do not reduce our children's education. The are learning English, Spanish, French, and Chinese. They are offered piano, violin, and ballet. I think anyone who does not visit for themselves and get involved with the current parents is really missing out.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 9, 2011

Socially, it is a wonderful environment, but teaching objectives fall short of the claims this school makes. Moved my child after two years. In speaking with other parents, the sentiment is always that the school started with so much promise but has failed to deliver.

Posted December 18, 2010

I have 2 children at BRIS and could not be happier!!! Excellent school that will give your children endless opportunities.

Posted November 8, 2010

My husband and I moved to Baton Rouge from the Northeast, and I was skeptical of BRIS before actually visiting the school. After attending an open house, we immediately enrolled our daughter. A global education is essential for kids today. It is no longer acceptable for a child to know only one language or no languages at all. Moreover, the Iowa test scores of students enrolled in the upper elementary school grades, speak for themselves. These students consistently score in the top 5% - 10% of the country! As a person who has done research on pediatric brains, I strongly believe that those consistent high scores are a result of the whole brain being exercised.

Posted September 2, 2010

This school lacks in the quality of education as opposed to the cost of the school. I would advise any parent to really really investigate before giving these "teachers" your hard earned money. There are much much better schools in the Baton Rouge area for this price and under.

Posted July 12, 2010

close-mind ed (kl s m n d d, kl z-) or closed-mind ed (kl zd-) adj. Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas. Perfect description. South Boulevard Foreign Language Immersion Magnet School would be a better choice. You won't get the dual languages; only a choice between Spanish or French immersion which is a shame, but you will get a free public school education with excellent CERTIFIED teachers in either Spanish or French along with quality English teachers with LEAP scores so you can actually see how your child is doing in the real world. No guess work here.

Posted May 6, 2010

I would think that most parents are like me - I view my biggest responsibility as preparing my child to succeed in this world. I want my child to live wherever he wants, and I want him to have no limitations on what he does for a living. When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I know that by sending my child to BRIS, I am doing my job. Like someone else alluded to, if your only priority is to get your kid into LSU or to fit in with your neighbors... maybe the BRIS philosophy won't resonate. But sometimes different is good, and personally I couldn't see sending my kids anywhere else in Baton Rouge. BRIS is an exceptional school. If you don't believe this testimonial or the others, simply check out the test scores.

Posted May 2, 2010

What an amazing opportunity to expose our children to international culture and language without leaving the country! After less than 2 years at BRIS, my daughter is nearly fluent in Spanish and her French and Chinese is not far behind. Yes, the school is in it's infancy, but what a great opportunity to help mold what should become THE template for all great schools in the future. Prepare to be 'hands on' and involved in everything from fund-raising to developing the school's master plan. If you prefer less involvement and a cookie-cutter curriculum, then this school is not for you. We love BRIS!

Posted April 18, 2010

I am shocked by the negative comments about this school. I have 3 children attending and all are very happy with the teachers and administration. It is a very unique education that is getting attention from many of the top colleges. And their test scores have ranked it in the top 1% in the nation. An education like that does not come cheap and the school does not have the financial support of a church. So if I have to do a little fundraising to keep tuition affordable, I do not have a problem with that. This is an excellent school with an excellent and unique program. Can you find another school in LA that test scores have ranked it in the top 1% in the nation? My children will graduate with an IB diploma qualitifying them to attend many universities not limited to the US. PRICELESS Education!!!

Posted April 13, 2010

There are many challenges that we experienced while sending our children through this school. I will first say that it is an excellent preschool or preK program, but that is where my positive remarks will cease. Continuing education in English, Math, Science and History beyond that are very disorganized, as are their curriculums and fundraising efforts. Their overall unwillingness to teach all students has been, i would guess, a large reason for the overwhelming lack of student retention and teach turnover. I would encourage anyone looking to invest into their children's future to dig deeper into this program before they commit.

Posted March 24, 2010

Baton Rouge International School is accredited by the prestigious International Baccalaureate Organisation (ibo.org). With an IB Diploma, your child will be able to attend most any college in the world, not to mention qualifying for numerous merit scholarships. Prestigious Ivy League universities are already inquiring about BRIS's first high school class that will graduate in 2013.

Posted March 24, 2010

Baton Rouge International School is celebrating its 10th anniversary. BRIS continues to top its success with each new school year. Most international schools are 'single track' providing immersion only in one language. Your child will learn Spanish, French, Mandarin and English at BRIS - yes, 4 languages. To them, it is all fun learning. In addition, BRIS offers a superior music program, visual and perfoming arts and sports. The soccer team competes internationally at the 8 year old level. We are very proud of BRIS's international diversity. The parent community is very welcoming as it takes a village to make this school. We all share the common thread of making our children's education a top priority.

Posted March 23, 2010

Baton Rouge International School is featured in the March 23, 2010 issue of the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report. This article explains school's strong curriculum and the superior international education your children will receive. I encourage prospective parents to interview current parents, tour the school and examine test scores.

Posted March 23, 2010

The Baton Rouge International School is a phenominal school. The world is becoming more flat every day; understanding and communicating with other cultures will be essential. It is a rare opportunity for a city the size of Baton Rouge to have such an asset.

Posted March 23, 2010

I have to say I am a bit suprised by some of the negative reviews. I have two children at this school, one in 3rd and one in 1st, and I could not be more thirilled. The curriculum is incredible. The parents are extremely enthusiastic and involved, and the leadership in constantly trying to engage all of us to make this the best possible experience for all. I have many friends with kids in other private schools, and most marvel at the access we have to the administration, teachers and staff. More importantly, the opportunity for our children to be multilingual (not to mention being exposed to diverse cultures and backgrounds) and therefore have the ability to compete in a truly global world, is simply unparalelled. I love this school and can't say enough good things about it.

Posted March 23, 2010

I love the school! I have a little boy who is in 2nd Grade, and everyday he amazes me with something new he learned from school. The curriculum is a little overwhelming for me (the parent), but my son doesn't know any better, he's been at BRIS since pre-shool. He certainly does not seem overwhelmed, and is excelling academically, in three languages! You have to be truly invested in your child's education to keep up at BRIS; and yes the fundraising is non-stop and frustrating some times. However, when I compare the price of that same education anywhere else in the USA, I'll gladly raise money for the school, rather than pay the hefty tuition of an international school (and higher cost of living) in New York, Houston, San Fransisco, Atlanta. We should be thankful we have such a school in Baton Rouge, LA!

Posted March 21, 2010

I have 3 children attending this school and I can not say enough great things about it. Not only does the school test scores ranked it in the top 1% nationaly but it also teaches acceptance of people from all cultures and backgrounds. It may cost more than some schools supported by a church, but my childrens' education is priceless. They have a no bulling policy so I know my children are protected and the school requires parental envolvement so I know the parents who send their children here are involved and invested. It is an excellent curriculum and your student graduates with an international baccalaureate opposed to the typical high school diploma. People ask me 'what about religion?' And my answer is 'I can give them religion outside of the school but I can't give them this kind of education outside a religious school. My children will graduate multilingual!!!'

Posted March 4, 2010

This school has great education in only languages. The higher grade levels do not get the right education in their english classes. My opinion if you want a english teacher get a british or an american teacher that can speak, pronounce, and spell perfectly in english. And don't get teachers with a temper they need to know how to handle something calmly if something or someone upsets them. The Science, History, Math, and Language Arts is very poor at this school. They have a great physical education, art, languages, and music program but besides that nothing else is good. The cafeteria food is not appetizing nor is it healthy. They do not teach the english subjects on the same grade level as other schools. If your child is from the ages of a couple of months-5 years old this would be the perfect school to send your child to.

Posted February 26, 2010

I agree with the posting dated February 20, 2010 and would strongly suggest parents look in another direction when selecting a school.

Posted February 20, 2010

There is a high turnover of teachers. The school is not organized and cannot explain the curriculum.

Asian 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 4% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab