No rating

Baton Rouge International School

Private | PK-11 | 202 students

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted April 25, 2012

Sending our child to BRIS was one of the best decisions we made. The school offers outstanding curriculum in 4 languages, the teachers are always supportive and go out of the way to help the children learn and succeed. My child looks forward to going to school every day and performs two years above the grade level.

Posted April 19, 2012

EXCELLENT SCHOOL! I am a teacher at Baton Rouge International School and I love it! All teachers must be certified, unlike some private schools. The school has a wonderful positive atmosphere. The teachers are welcoming and always happy. The students are brilliant due to their one on one time with teachers.My biggest class has only 17 students. The students test scores on standardized testing are some of the highest in country. If foreign language is important to you and you want your child to be in an atmosphere where they can be an individual without being teased or bullied, this is the school for you. At BRIS the teachers and staff make sure students get an individualized education. Hands down BRIS is the best private school in the Baton Rouge area.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 24, 2012

I am a parent at the Baton Rouge International School since 2008. My daughter loves the school and her teachers. The nurturing, loving and safe environments are beyond our expectations. Our family is treated with respect and dignity on a daily basis. We consider ourselves partners in the educational process of our little angel because it is our responsibility to do so. There is a mutual feeling of trust and respect between parents and teachers and it helped build a lasting positive relationship between us. I honestly think there is nothing comparable to this education in Baton Rouge and beyond.

Posted January 30, 2012

BRIS promises, promises, yet never delivers, no matter how long you wait. The teachers do not communicate well with one another or with the parents, so my child frequently ended up with multiple tests on one day, in addition to the already overbearing homework load. Gripes or concerns are met with scoffs and uncaring attitudes. We gave the school lots of money and many years, and all what we have in return is a child who doesn't believe in himself and a whole lot of excuses from the staff. I actually feel guilty for bringing my child there and keeping him there for so long -- and we paid dearly for this luxury! Thousands and thousands!

Posted September 30, 2011

EXCELLENT SCHOOL! I wanted to start off with how I really feel. If you looking at private schools and you believe that languages other than English is important then you have come to the correct school. The school staff are not "certified" in languages they lived the languages from around the world and bring their culture to Baton Rouge. I have yet come across a certification for that. EVERYONE at this school are TOTALLY dedicated to teaching and caring about the students, each and every one. I have one child at this wonderful school and could not be happier. This school is for people that want their child to be a future leader. This requires teaching independence early and coaching excellence, in a supportive environment. Take a look at the Iowa test scores. WOW! The head of school is world class! If you are reading this and truly care about your child's education then visit this school, talk to the parents that have children here. (Parents beware that this school has culture and is very diverse, just like the real world.) Kris Hutchinson

Posted September 13, 2011

I was shocked when I found a little girl, maybe 2 years old, who left school via an unlocked gate. She was in the area where cars pull up for drop off (by the gate farther from front door, at end of playground). I was even more shocked when I brought her inside and they didn't even know she was missing. I was so scared as she could have been abducted by a pedophile, hit by a car or wandered even further and drowned. When I then told my girl's teachers what happened I was treated in a hostile manner. I was already unhappy as I heard my girl's teacher yell at the kids before and my girl would always complain about being beat up on by a boy at school. This time I really saw not only how they neglected a child but didn't seem to care about safety at all. I had to pull my girl out of ELIC immediately as I lost faith in the school and they yelled at me and treated my like garbage. My girl is so happy at her new school and is not beat up on. She says that her new teachers are happy and don't yell like at BRIS. And I drop her off knowing she won't leave school on her own because her teachers actually care and watch the children. Shame on BRIS.

Posted September 11, 2011

have known about this school for years. Early on the parents ran a once a week math club for the 5 - 8 year old kids to play a math ed game my company makes. Their 5 year old students could work with negative numbers, variable, solve word problems and construct and evaluate (simple) algebraic expressions. My 4 year old grandson has been a student there since he was 6 months old and is taught in Spanish and French on alternate days. He is not yet in their Mandarin class. The recent studies of the effect of being multilingual on learning, cognition and long-term memory predict a lifelong befit for him. No amount of technology can provide this. I have visited the school several times and have never seen the teachers be anything but good-humored, concerned and caring. Carter Waid, PhD

Posted August 25, 2011

I am shocked at some of the negative reviews on this board and cannot believe they come from parents of BRIS students! The faculty, staff, and fellow parents are always warm and welcoming. There are numerous sports programs for the students. Most importantly of all, BRIS's foreign language immersion program is the only one offered between Houston and Atlanta. The education at BRIS is superior to most other private options in the area. As the school continues to grow and develop, I have no doubt it will be THE best and most coveted acedemic program in Baton Rouge. To be fair, the facilities do leave much to be desired...but, this school is only 11 years old and is already embarking on a master expansion plan to bring the campus up to date. Bottom line, I wouldn't consider sending my elementary-aged son to another school.

Posted June 7, 2011

The below review bothers me. We do have technology in the classrooms and all students K and up go to technology class each week. We do have sports: on campus Fall and Spring soccer, basketball, off campus tennis and golf. We also have a drama, choir, chess, and gymnastics club. We are starting phase one of our beautiful master plan. That will leave us with wonderful buildings. We are in our infancy and t-buildings do not reduce our children's education. The are learning English, Spanish, French, and Chinese. They are offered piano, violin, and ballet. I think anyone who does not visit for themselves and get involved with the current parents is really missing out.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 9, 2011

Socially, it is a wonderful environment, but teaching objectives fall short of the claims this school makes. Moved my child after two years. In speaking with other parents, the sentiment is always that the school started with so much promise but has failed to deliver.

Posted December 18, 2010

I have 2 children at BRIS and could not be happier!!! Excellent school that will give your children endless opportunities.

Posted November 8, 2010

My husband and I moved to Baton Rouge from the Northeast, and I was skeptical of BRIS before actually visiting the school. After attending an open house, we immediately enrolled our daughter. A global education is essential for kids today. It is no longer acceptable for a child to know only one language or no languages at all. Moreover, the Iowa test scores of students enrolled in the upper elementary school grades, speak for themselves. These students consistently score in the top 5% - 10% of the country! As a person who has done research on pediatric brains, I strongly believe that those consistent high scores are a result of the whole brain being exercised.

Posted September 2, 2010

This school lacks in the quality of education as opposed to the cost of the school. I would advise any parent to really really investigate before giving these "teachers" your hard earned money. There are much much better schools in the Baton Rouge area for this price and under.

Posted July 12, 2010

close-mind ed (kl s m n d d, kl z-) or closed-mind ed (kl zd-) adj. Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas. Perfect description. South Boulevard Foreign Language Immersion Magnet School would be a better choice. You won't get the dual languages; only a choice between Spanish or French immersion which is a shame, but you will get a free public school education with excellent CERTIFIED teachers in either Spanish or French along with quality English teachers with LEAP scores so you can actually see how your child is doing in the real world. No guess work here.

Posted May 6, 2010

I would think that most parents are like me - I view my biggest responsibility as preparing my child to succeed in this world. I want my child to live wherever he wants, and I want him to have no limitations on what he does for a living. When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I know that by sending my child to BRIS, I am doing my job. Like someone else alluded to, if your only priority is to get your kid into LSU or to fit in with your neighbors... maybe the BRIS philosophy won't resonate. But sometimes different is good, and personally I couldn't see sending my kids anywhere else in Baton Rouge. BRIS is an exceptional school. If you don't believe this testimonial or the others, simply check out the test scores.

Posted May 2, 2010

What an amazing opportunity to expose our children to international culture and language without leaving the country! After less than 2 years at BRIS, my daughter is nearly fluent in Spanish and her French and Chinese is not far behind. Yes, the school is in it's infancy, but what a great opportunity to help mold what should become THE template for all great schools in the future. Prepare to be 'hands on' and involved in everything from fund-raising to developing the school's master plan. If you prefer less involvement and a cookie-cutter curriculum, then this school is not for you. We love BRIS!

Posted April 18, 2010

I am shocked by the negative comments about this school. I have 3 children attending and all are very happy with the teachers and administration. It is a very unique education that is getting attention from many of the top colleges. And their test scores have ranked it in the top 1% in the nation. An education like that does not come cheap and the school does not have the financial support of a church. So if I have to do a little fundraising to keep tuition affordable, I do not have a problem with that. This is an excellent school with an excellent and unique program. Can you find another school in LA that test scores have ranked it in the top 1% in the nation? My children will graduate with an IB diploma qualitifying them to attend many universities not limited to the US. PRICELESS Education!!!

Posted April 13, 2010

There are many challenges that we experienced while sending our children through this school. I will first say that it is an excellent preschool or preK program, but that is where my positive remarks will cease. Continuing education in English, Math, Science and History beyond that are very disorganized, as are their curriculums and fundraising efforts. Their overall unwillingness to teach all students has been, i would guess, a large reason for the overwhelming lack of student retention and teach turnover. I would encourage anyone looking to invest into their children's future to dig deeper into this program before they commit.

Posted March 24, 2010

Baton Rouge International School is accredited by the prestigious International Baccalaureate Organisation (ibo.org). With an IB Diploma, your child will be able to attend most any college in the world, not to mention qualifying for numerous merit scholarships. Prestigious Ivy League universities are already inquiring about BRIS's first high school class that will graduate in 2013.

Posted March 24, 2010

Baton Rouge International School is celebrating its 10th anniversary. BRIS continues to top its success with each new school year. Most international schools are 'single track' providing immersion only in one language. Your child will learn Spanish, French, Mandarin and English at BRIS - yes, 4 languages. To them, it is all fun learning. In addition, BRIS offers a superior music program, visual and perfoming arts and sports. The soccer team competes internationally at the 8 year old level. We are very proud of BRIS's international diversity. The parent community is very welcoming as it takes a village to make this school. We all share the common thread of making our children's education a top priority.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 1%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab