Mckinley Middle Magnet School

Public | 6-8 | 731 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 4, 2014

This is an excellent school. My child has learned a lot. Please go to McKinley Middle Magnet.

Posted April 6, 2011

I am pleased to have been a member of the faculty at McKinley Middle School for 27 years. The administration is great and the staff is a kind and caring staff who put the students first and foremost in preserving the integrity of our wonderful school!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 22, 2010

I consider this school to be a hidden gem. The principal leadership is outstanding. He makes my child feel like part of a family at school with an open door policy. My child has attended this school in 6th &7th grades. It has a college prep curriculum along with close involvement with the arts, which I feel is so important. My child has also won 2 scholarships for college while at Mckinley middle. This school offers many positive incentives for good grades and leadership. There are also many opportunities to enter contests to win money, such as essy contests, poetry contests, art contests, photography contests to name a few.

Posted January 2, 2010

this school is the best school in the parish. i am so happy i go to this amazing school. the teachers are so cool they actually make sure you understand the curriculum before moving on to thw next lesson. I love Mckinley MIddle Academic Magnet School for the Visual and Oerforming Arts

Posted December 3, 2009

Mckinley Middle is the best school ever. I luv it there. I am a 7th grader and the teachers are so fun and caring and get their jobs done very well. When it comes down to work we Mckinley Middle Students dont play. We are boldly going where no the middle school has gone before. I type this proudly and is happy to say I am a MCK Middle Magnet 7th Grade Student......!!! Luv You Mr.Brister.....

Posted September 11, 2009

I am so impressed with McKinley Middle Magnet. My daughter just started there this year, coming from a small, private school. It was a little overwhelming at first, but the principal, Mr. Brister, gets top honors for his compassion and the way he makes each student feel as if they are special. The teachers I have spoken with so far are excited about the subjects they teach, and the opportunity for classes like web design, Latin and Drama in 7th grade makes me happy with our decision. I would definitely recommend parents apply for this school. Also, I was amazed that our bus driver came to the house a few days before school started to meet our daughter and make sure she had the information about the route and time- truly impressive dedication!

Posted September 1, 2009

It is a wonderful school and the staff is one the best in this state.

Posted April 19, 2009

I went to MMM all 3 years, from 05-08. To me it s a great school academically. They pushed us to achieve higher than any one else. We were at the old capital but that didn t stop any one from teaching or learning. To me once we moved to the new school they kinda stopped worring about grades and started trippin on looks. Jewelry, jackets, ect. It s like we were some show dogs. I think that since Mrs. Graham isn t the principal anymore the school will get better. I can t speak though because I don t go there any more. But I can say this, my younger sister in 8th grade says her years were better than mine, and I can say they prepare you well for high school. But children wise we act no differently from any other schools there is still mess and fights that s normal. You can t expect use not to act our age because we are smart.

Posted January 26, 2009

Mckinley as a school is good but they need to start kicking out some of those bad messy kids that does not have any home training and are to messy to stop bullying other students dont get me wrong some teachers are good and some are bad but they have alot of rotten eggs but im now attending Mckinley High and this is how I feel about the student body, and some teachers that work there it is just horrible. I think some teachers just come there to get payed

Posted January 24, 2009

I am currebtly an eigth grade at Mckinley. Our school is improving with our new principal, Mr. Brister. I honestly believe though our school has quite a bad reputation, it is a wonderful school. We are anti- bullying, and have alot of activities as well as clubs. I, am a member of my school student council and a Geometry student, I am also an honors student. I have high expectations for my school and so far, it had achieve them. I would not go to any other school beside Mckinley. Thank You.

Posted September 16, 2007

I have gone to Mckinley for about 2 years and i really like it. now i am a 7th grader and we have more things then last year when i was in 6th grade.Even though we dont have alot of sports like the other schools we are still top in academics.

Posted March 14, 2007

Last year MMM was a school where the staff and students willingly worked and learned together. Administration is lacking this year and maybe this is due to being in a new school building along with the additional students, teachers, staff and needing time to adapt. But, students this year are not getting along with each other and the environment for learning is not inviting for those trying. Teachers are getting frustrated at the students, and at some times, refusing to teach and some threatening to quit. The administration needs to take a hand at correcting the specific behavior problem students and not leave this up to the teachers during instruction time. These 'magnet' students have had very little to no dances, celebrations of good grades and good behavior (as last year), etc. They have had lunch times rearranged, recess taken away, and the morning homeroom time taken away; punishment only.

Posted October 11, 2006

I have gone to McKinley since it became a dedicated magnet school and I am now an eighth grader in the new building. I like that Mckinley has academics and visual and performing arts. We're supposed to be the best school but I think we she be the best in everything. We don't have a football team, soccer, or softball. Our school should compete more in every subject:academics, arts, and extra curricular activities. The administration doesn't take advantage of the parent support we have. If any team needs uniforms or anything else the parents would be more than happy to come together and organize ways to get the money. The administration focuses to much on things like socks,jewlery, and hair accessories. There is no money in the budget for the performing arts to buy costumes and props but they expect the us to look professional. Overall it is a good school.

Posted July 26, 2006

McKinley was wonderful te three years that I attended. It allows students to express them selves not only academically but creatively. They provide you with the skills to live a successful life. They prepare you for high school. I just think that the prinicpal is not a good choice for the visual & performance school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 20, 2006

Mckinley Middle Magnet is a great school. This is my first year at mckinley and i love it! The teachers at mckinley are great. so as the principal. THe staff is also great. By, Zyquincia Bell

Posted February 6, 2006

My children has went to this awesome school. I'm glad its moving. It will have space for more kids to attend. This gives 100% of education and talent. They have so many outstanding students and outgoing teachers and staff. I hope to see my children one day be the principal of this awesome school.

Posted August 10, 2003

this school is fun for the kids and has a very high education i love it and all my children are going there! i hope i gave u my opinion

Posted July 27, 2003

Teachers show no interest. Mckinley needs certified and serious math teachers. Students need homework. There is very little homework and note taking. I realize that the students are difficult but children that wants an education are suffering. I think that the teachers need to do outline so parents can be aware of what there children are studying. I also found the teachers are not using the textbook. These are our children. Last school term my daughter did not have math teacher for three to four months. All they did was go to the math lab. They needed a teacher. The only reason she is going back to Mckinley because I could not get her transfer. I hope the principal at Mckinley Middle read this and think of our children.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 68% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 78%N/A66%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (225) 387-1424

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1550 Eddie Robinson Sr Drive