Mckinley Senior High School

Public | 8-12 | 1379 students

Posted October 20, 2013

I am currently a junior at McKinley high school and so far I have had an excellent high school experience in the GT program. The teachers are not only experienced and effective, but friendly and approachable. The class sizes are great and you become close with your classmates not only in your grade and program, but with everyone. I was surprised at how approachable everyone was when I was a freshmen. I soon was able to call McKinley my family and experience what school spirit and unity meant. The principal, Armond Brown, is a great man who not only cares about the school, but genuinely takes his time to help students and parents. McKinley has great school spirit and football games are always a blast. My only complaint lies within the office. They can be quite unorganized and make things difficult at times, which is why I rate McKinley a 4 out of 5. Despite this, I wouldn't trade my experience at McK high for any other high school. Go panthers!

Posted March 25, 2011

McKinley Senior High is truly two schools in one, offering both the Gifted and Talented Program and the traditional neighborhood school public education. The true quality of this school lies within the quality of the Gifted and Talented program. If the G/T program was a school unto itself, the scores achieved by its students would rank it above even Baton Rouge High School. I am an active alumni of McK and can tell you that I look upon my choosing McKinley over Catholic High and BRHS as the best decision in my academic life. All of my teachers possessed at least master's degrees, with many having earned a Ph.D as well. Despite what you may think, there is very little racial tension and a remarkably small presence of "hard" drugs (with both being attributed to BRHS, and the latter being proliferated in the major private high schools in the area.) The facilities allocated for the traditional and performing arts are modern and among the best in the city. What the overall school lacks in locale or curb appeal it makes up for in culture and community. Now that G/T is at Woodlawn, there are more choices. I would argue that if your child is certified Gifted, McKinley is the best choice.

Posted July 20, 2009

Mckinley high is a fun place and you can learn a lot at our great school.

Posted July 21, 2008

My utmost Gratitude goes to Mr Brown (Principal) and the faculty here for the care and education they gave to my quirky, artsy daughter. McKinley High is an absolute fit for children who are not snobby, artistic and academically minded. The staff takes every step to keep safety and nurture in the environment.

Posted December 11, 2007

I'm a junior at McKinley right now, and I love it. Sure it's got its problems, but so does any school. There's never a dull moment at McKinley, which sounds like a euphemism, but it's just a really fun place to be. The teachers are great, and the small class sizes in the gifted classes really means a lot (I'm looking at you, Baton Rouge High...). Mr. Brown really knows how to handle his business. Mr. Hood is possibly the best Psychology teacher in history. Mr. Grant does a better job teaching various sciences than he thinks he does. Go Panthers!

Posted April 20, 2007

Frankly, It Is Horrible Here. I am in my sophomore year at Mckinley this 06-07 school year and I have to say not only do I not feel safe, due to the lacking of teachers in east baton rouge parish there are substandard instructors teaching my gifted classes. We are overfilled, above all things there are far too many people at the school. The administration does not take action against real problems, only against trivial matters such as tardies and failing to wear an id. It might have been a good school in its better days, but MCkinley Senior High school seems to have run its course. Not To be horribly negative,but if you want your child in a good enviornment and want them to actually learn,do not send them here.

Posted August 14, 2005

I left with a great education. I was enrolled in the gifted program. I was active in the string orchestra and the concert choir. McKinley High School is wonderful, but there is room for improvement. How can you advocate academic excellence without supporting ALL programs at the school? Yes athletics are important, but what about the arts program? McKinley should have the BEST visual and performing arts department in the parish. Why? Because 'McK' is the ONLY high school with a gifted curriculum, and is one of two with the talented arts program.

Posted November 30, 2004

McKinley Senior High is a fantastic school! I went there for all four years and not only got a great education, but had lots of fun and made many lasting memories. The administration is amazing--Mr. Armond Brown was like a father to me and the other 800 kids there. The other administrators showed us tough love, but they only wanted the best for us. I was in both Gifted and Talented, and both programs really strived to prepare students for post-high school life. There is such a sense of pride there, I still call myself a Panther, and probably will for the rest of my life.

Posted October 8, 2004

I am not pleased with the job that the principal and assistant principal are doing for the school. They both have a bad attitude with the students, with as well as the parents at functions such as Open House and campus activities. I am very disappointed.

Posted March 31, 2004

I have had one child graduate from McKinley and another who currently attends. I have had only positive experiences. The faculty and staff are very understanding and eager to help their students. The Panther pride is deep and longstanding. Most of my family are McKinley High Graduates. I appreciate the efforts of Mr. Brown, the current principal, Mr. Huggins (Asst. Prin), Coach Morris,Coach Mayweather , Mrs. Langlois and all the staff who have helped throughout the year(s). If you are not sure about a school for your child, you could not choose a better school than McKinely Senior High.

Posted March 12, 2004

I personally believe that Mckinley is the best school in EBRP(East Baton Rouge Parish). It has both Regular, and Gifted and Talented programs. While at Mckinley I was enrolled in both programs, and I needed both experiences to become the man that I am today. The teacher a great.The Principal, Mr. Armond Brown, is a wonderful man, he his tough loving and he understands his students. There is an extracurricular activity for everyone, I played Baseball, and I also was a member of the Marching, Concert, Jazz, and Second Line/Brass Band Ensambles. I can't explain this school in 150 words, but I did what I could. To sum it up, this is a school like no other. I love this school. I go back to see my teachers and other falculty members as often as possible, it feels like home.

Posted October 7, 2003

This school is one where the teacher involvement is very good. There are caring, patient teachers here who take the time to make sure all students understand the content of the lessons. Great no-nonsense principal.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

319 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

319 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 70%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (225) 387-5435

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

800 East McKinley Street