Baton Rouge, LA
Students enrolled: 1,379

Posted October 20, 2013
I am currently a junior at McKinley high school and so far I have had an excellent high school experience in the GT program. The teachers are not only experienced and effective, but friendly and approachable. The class sizes are great and you become close with your classmates not only in your grade and program, but with everyone. I was surprised at how approachable everyone was when I was a freshmen. I soon was able to call McKinley my family and experience what school spirit and unity meant. The principal, Armond Brown, is a great man who not only cares about the school, but genuinely takes his time to help students and parents. McKinley has great school spirit and football games are always a blast. My only complaint lies within the office. They can be quite unorganized and make things difficult at times, which is why I rate McKinley a 4 out of 5. Despite this, I wouldn't trade my experience at McK high for any other high school. Go panthers!

Posted March 25, 2011
McKinley Senior High is truly two schools in one, offering both the Gifted and Talented Program and the traditional neighborhood school public education. The true quality of this school lies within the quality of the Gifted and Talented program. If the G/T program was a school unto itself, the scores achieved by its students would rank it above even Baton Rouge High School. I am an active alumni of McK and can tell you that I look upon my choosing McKinley over Catholic High and BRHS as the best decision in my academic life. All of my teachers possessed at least master's degrees, with many having earned a Ph.D as well. Despite what you may think, there is very little racial tension and a remarkably small presence of "hard" drugs (with both being attributed to BRHS, and the latter being proliferated in the major private high schools in the area.) The facilities allocated for the traditional and performing arts are modern and among the best in the city. What the overall school lacks in locale or curb appeal it makes up for in culture and community. Now that G/T is at Woodlawn, there are more choices. I would argue that if your child is certified Gifted, McKinley is the best choice.

Mckinley Senior High School

Posted July 20, 2009
Mckinley high is a fun place and you can learn a lot at our great school.

Posted July 21, 2008
My utmost Gratitude goes to Mr Brown (Principal) and the faculty here for the care and education they gave to my quirky, artsy daughter. McKinley High is an absolute fit for children who are not snobby, artistic and academically minded. The staff takes every step to keep safety and nurture in the environment.

Posted December 11, 2007
I'm a junior at McKinley right now, and I love it. Sure it's got its problems, but so does any school. There's never a dull moment at McKinley, which sounds like a euphemism, but it's just a really fun place to be. The teachers are great, and the small class sizes in the gifted classes really means a lot (I'm looking at you, Baton Rouge High...). Mr. Brown really knows how to handle his business. Mr. Hood is possibly the best Psychology teacher in history. Mr. Grant does a better job teaching various sciences than he thinks he does. Go Panthers!

Mckinley Senior High School 1

Posted April 20, 2007
Frankly, It Is Horrible Here. I am in my sophomore year at Mckinley this 06-07 school year and I have to say not only do I not feel safe, due to the lacking of teachers in east baton rouge parish there are substandard instructors teaching my gifted classes. We are overfilled, above all things there are far too many people at the school. The administration does not take action against real problems, only against trivial matters such as tardies and failing to wear an id. It might have been a good school in its better days, but MCkinley Senior High school seems to have run its course. Not To be horribly negative,but if you want your child in a good enviornment and want them to actually learn,do not send them here.

Posted August 14, 2005
I left with a great education. I was enrolled in the gifted program. I was active in the string orchestra and the concert choir. McKinley High School is wonderful, but there is room for improvement. How can you advocate academic excellence without supporting ALL programs at the school? Yes athletics are important, but what about the arts program? McKinley should have the BEST visual and performing arts department in the parish. Why? Because 'McK' is the ONLY high school with a gifted curriculum, and is one of two with the talented arts program.

Posted November 30, 2004
McKinley Senior High is a fantastic school! I went there for all four years and not only got a great education, but had lots of fun and made many lasting memories. The administration is amazing--Mr. Armond Brown was like a father to me and the other 800 kids there. The other administrators showed us tough love, but they only wanted the best for us. I was in both Gifted and Talented, and both programs really strived to prepare students for post-high school life. There is such a sense of pride there, I still call myself a Panther, and probably will for the rest of my life.

Posted October 08, 2004
I am not pleased with the job that the principal and assistant principal are doing for the school. They both have a bad attitude with the students, with as well as the parents at functions such as Open House and campus activities. I am very disappointed.

Posted March 31, 2004
I have had one child graduate from McKinley and another who currently attends. I have had only positive experiences. The faculty and staff are very understanding and eager to help their students. The Panther pride is deep and longstanding. Most of my family are McKinley High Graduates. I appreciate the efforts of Mr. Brown, the current principal, Mr. Huggins (Asst. Prin), Coach Morris,Coach Mayweather , Mrs. Langlois and all the staff who have helped throughout the year(s). If you are not sure about a school for your child, you could not choose a better school than McKinely Senior High.

Mckinley Senior High School
800 East McKinley Street, Baton Rouge, LA  70802
Last modified Mckinley Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mckinley Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top