Parkview Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 555 students

Posted June 19, 2014

its a great school I went there for 6 years and I loved it ever since best school ever the teachers are nice there are great kids its perfect

Posted June 18, 2013

I have to agree with the teacher who posted before me. This schools run by a principle who can't/won't be a authority figure to the teachers. If your child is in the gifted program they will be fine being there are only 15 kids in each gifted class. While the rest are in 29-32 students per class. If your child struggles they will not do what is state mandated but railroad you into finding another school to go to. They do not care about your kid only about leap test scores! We were at this school for 3 yrs & will never go back! 2nd grade teachers are Horrible! This school should be investigated for violating kids civil rights to education! Beware patents!

Posted March 18, 2013

Just like other public schools in Baton Rouge, this one has started focusing so much on results rather than a whole-mind educational approach. Core Knowledge is a great educational program, but teachers cannot implement it because of the mounting responsibilities the State puts upon them. As a whole, the teachers are dedicated and do their best with what is given to them. However, major decisions are made by a few and there is much favoritism... like a 'popular' group in a high school cafeteria. I once would have been honored to have my child attend this school based on reputation. But now that I realize that it is just as obsessed with the bottom line as many other public schools, I would consider other prospects.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 28, 2011

Great school! Teachers and principal are very accessible. Parental involvement is highly encouraged! The gifted and talented programs are fantastic!

Posted March 26, 2010

Parkview used to be a great school. With the introduction of the LEAP test, the school administration has focussed so hard on teaching the students how to pass the LEAP, that students have been cheated on a great education. The Principal would rather foresake ensuring good, solid educations for good stats so to save her miserable career. For the parents with children who have any type of learning disability, don't bother. This school will write your child off, and railroad your child to seeking education elsewhere,so to weed out anyone who may negatively impact the LEAP stats. The system is broken, and I suggest that parents seek a different school for their child far away from Parkview Elementary.

Posted February 27, 2009

We love this school! We specifically bought a house near this school so our daughter could attend. The principal, the teachers, and the staff are fantastic! They offer gifted classes and recently added talented arts classes. My daughter has been there for 2 years and we could not be more pleased!

Posted February 10, 2009

My son goes to Parkview Elementary. I find it is a great school. The teachers are very caring and are interested in teaching the students. Parental involvement is getting better but still has some way to go. Regarding the comment about fundraising - the school has to raise funds because the funding for public schools just isn't there. They are competing against private schools with a lot more money & resources. I don't mind donating money and time, knowing it goes towards my child's education!

Posted December 18, 2008

I am extremely disappointed with this school. I have a child with some minor learning problems and have asked for help several times...no one knows how to help us, and in the meantime...no compassion. My child has been a witness to teachers cursing and gossiping openly in front of students. I have raised 6 children and never have I experienced a school more interested in fund raisers and less interested in my child's education! I have a real problem with giving $65 per child for school supplies at the beginning of the year and before the holidays my child is threatened for punishment if more supplies aren't provided at the teacher's request. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 2, 2007

I have been a parkview parent for 3 yrs. We will be moving away after this year and it brings my daughter to tears. I couldn't imagine a better staff of teachers. The principal is the most caring, hard-working principal in the parish. Both of my daughters teachers were 'teachers of the year.' The parents aren't very involved. I think these negative comments come from the fact there are enough students to fill 2 elem. schools at Parkview.

Posted April 30, 2007

This school is excellent in all aspects. The principal and teachers take a tremendous interest in each and every student. I have yet to meet a child at this school who doesn't love it. This year I have both a 1st grader and a 5th grader and they both love Parkview. There is help when help is needed for both parents & students. There are many fun activities aside from classwork that keep the kids interested and give the school a fun atmosphere. You can tell that the faculty & staff sincerely care about the students.

Posted April 27, 2007

My child has been at Parkview for the past 4 years (PreK - 2nd). I'm pleased with the overall education she has received. All schools have pluses and minutes, that's life, but the positives far outweigh anything negative. The Core Knowledge Curriculum adopted at Parkview exposes my child to more history, literature, visual arts, science and geography than any other curriculum used in the state. The teachers strive for excellence and expect it from their students. As I read the responses from previous posts, I thought I must surely be reading about another school. The negative things, such as parental involvement, lack of basic manners, etc are a reflection of the parent and the child's homelife, not the school. In fact, Parkview has little behavioral problems, and the teachers are wonderful. The principal establishes high expectations for all ....herself, her faculty, her students and their parents. Parkview is a true gem!

Posted January 5, 2007

This is my sons first yr. at Parkview and it will be his last. He is in Kindergarten, before he attended this school, he loved his preschool, now he dreads school. He calls home constintly, talking to the teachers and getting a response is almost impossible. Talking to the principle is like talking to a brick wall. This school in my opinion Parkview gives all public schools a bad rep.. We will be going back to private...

Posted September 5, 2006

I have been a Parkview Parent for 5 years and I have to say it is a wonderful school. The Acedemic programs are the best. The teachers are wonderful. In fact most of them have taught GT classes before. The Principal Is awesome and I think she is doing a wonderful job and is very involved with the classrooms. I love her morning math Program. Parental involvement could be better, but that is not the schools fault. I believe if the parent chooses to be involved they will. The only complaints I have are there aren't enough extracurricular acivities and my son who is in 3rd grade and been at Parkview since Kindergarten has not been on one single field trip.

Posted July 6, 2006

I am sorry to say i too was dissapointed with Parkview. I was very involved with this school and was incredibly disapointed! The teachers are hurtful and the principal is leading them into a disaster! I would'nt condsider this school:(! -concerned parent

Posted May 27, 2006

my child has attended parkview for 2 years. i haven't seen anything to be proud of. they didn't seem to be concerned with my child and her educational needs as they were on trying to emphasize on how they look in the districts eyes. this maybe a wonderful school for a child that doesn't have a learning disability but for me the experience was horrible.

Posted May 21, 2006

I cannot believe the negative comments by the previous posts - I have been involved in this school for over 6 years. I have watched the current principal shape this school into a wonderfully engaging, educational, and caring environment for our children. Teachers are repeatedly nominated (and win) teacher of the year awards. Many of the teachers been at the school even longer than my family has. Turnover is/has been rare. Children from all walks of life benefit from the Core Knowledge curriculum that enhances what the state has mandated. The only problem is parental participation. Usually any complaints come from those not REGULARLY involved in all aspects of the school's growth. Simply sitting in class with the student or coming to an event is not enough. Don't miss the opportunity to have your child at this school - it's one in a million!!

Posted May 16, 2006

My third child is currently attending Parkview, and I am throroughly disappointed with some of the changes I have witnessed. Being an educator, having been a volunteer in the school on many occasions, and most recently, sitting in the classroom to observe the teacher-student interactions, there appears to be a serious problem with classroom management. Much of the instructional time is spent on student behavior versus academic performance. I think the school does have some of the best teachers in the parish, but there are also teachers who lack the 'enthusiasm' needed to inspire students to 'want to learn'. In my opinion, the fault lies with the principal. I have also noticed a decline in the enthusiasm and leadership displayed by the school principal, as well as a consequent decline in parental involvement. I am very disappointment, and anxiously awaiting the end of this school year.

Posted May 13, 2006

I would most definitely give Parkview elementary a failing grade. I have volunteered numerous times for my childrens classes and have witness first hand the quality or lack of. 30 kids to 1 teacher is not helpful. I will be sending them back to an actualy educational facility 15:2 (teacher aid incl.) not a BOOTCAMP!

Posted April 19, 2005

I think Parkview Oaks is a fabulous school with hardworkig teachers, a dedicated staff, and a determined principal. I attended this school many years ago and I am still impressed. For the past couple of years the Teacher of the Year award as been given to teachers at this very school. That must say something about the school if year after year their teachers are given the highest of honors. I want to extend my gratitude to everyone who keeps Parkview going strong for the wonderful job they are doing.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 18, 2004

It is a shame that this school has such a 'non-involved' principal. When I attended this school years ago it was known as one of the two top elem. schools in E.B.R. My daughter attended Parkview for 3rd & 4th grade and it was quite a disappointment to see the steady decline that this school underwent due to the lack of guidance from the principal and the seemingly high turnover of teachers. I don't understand why a 'problem' student is sent to a k-4 teacher for discipline instead of the school principal.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A67%

• Norma W. Church

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5660 Park Forest