Posted June 07, 2013
My child went to this Shenandoah Elementary School for 2 years. He loved going to school there. All of the teachers that we came in contact with were very nice and helpful. While very strict about the rules in their classrooms, they are some of the best teachers in the EBR area. The only people I didn't really care for were the ladies that volunteered to man the entrance to the school. While very helpful, they had a certain "I am better than you" attitude that I did not care for. If a problem were to arise with my child, we were instantly told about it, whether by a phone call, note home, or an e-mail. Everybody I know that has a child at that school loves it. this school is the only school in EBRPSS that seems to be on the right track with their students. Keep in mind, there are some things, like discipline, that should be instilled at home, not just at school by the teachers. My child would still be at this school if my job and the addition to our family had not required us to move and find a bigger place.

Posted May 17, 2013
The PTA is like the mob. Be prepared to join, to participate, or have a horse head in your bed. I'm mostly joking. Kind of. The PTA is a serious, serious deal at this school. The principal's voice and haircut are horrible. The honor assemblies are so long. She is absolutely worthless when it comes to problems or conflicts, great and small, between parents and teachers and staff. She is rigid and only cares about her kids' test scores. If your child has any sort of special needs be prepared for a fight and to deal with the school board and maybe even find an attorney friend to draft a letter for you. Her name is pronounced Sour and it fits. She only wants the best, most obedient and high scoring kids in her school. That said, most of the teachers we had had have done a fine job and they do teach and they do care. Of course, there is one or two in every grade that you cross your fingers and pray your child doesn't get but we've been to schools in seven states and I've found that to be true where ever you go.

Shenandoah Elementary School 1

Posted April 11, 2013
I give this school no stars because the teachers don't teach the students anything my son is in kindergarten this year and they expect you to teach them. Why is my child even in school if I'm expected to teach him everything. The teachers get way to carried away with the behavior reports taking points off because your child doesn't have a pencil when you bought all the required school supply's and then more. Then they expect them to know they are suppose to do things without telling them first they don't teach the children the rules before giving them a mark. It's crazy how are they even allowed to do things like that. My child turns in his home work every time and she still marks him and says he didnt do it. And the principal is a joke she doesn't help with anything if u have any type of problem call the school board because they are the only help your going to get and the teachers are very mean and cold. I wouldn't recommend this school at all next year my son will not be attending.

Posted March 07, 2013
My 8 year old son and my 2- 4 year old children started Shenandoah this year 2012 and I am very pleased. To begin with this school is: 1. Very competitive and academically challenging. With that be prepared for a lot of homework and studying at home. 2. This year the school has promoted good health and nutrition. Lunches and snacks reflect this change. My kids come home and we discuss good eating choices. 3. Great parental involvement. 4. Administration is great. Love the principal who is strict yet caring about all of her students. Always is concerned about how the parents feel about choices the school is making and the effect on the kids. The only disappointment I have is in the state of the facility. Example: It would be nice to see the school with some fresh paint on the outside, updated bathrooms, updated playground equipment (the PTA is trying to raise some money to update the playground). I only wish the school system had the money to make some updates that would make such a difference to this great little school.

Posted June 13, 2012
We just finished our first year & have been very happy. This is truly a neighborhood school with strong community support. There are constant events/programs/fund-raisers/etc. Parent involvement is highly encouraged--some might see that as a negative but I don't. I like meeting other parents/grandparents & seeing them involved--in most cases they are my neighbors too. The teachers & administration have been here forever & I think that says a lot. Our teacher & the principal were always willing to meet with me, either by appt or not. I would have given our experience this year 5 stars if the gifted & talented program met more often or was more intense--self-contained would be ideal. That would need to be changed via the school system & not directly through the school, however.

Posted March 27, 2011
Once again here is yet another EBR Parish school that is more concerned with overall test scores than the individual student, althought the mission statement would state the opposite. A school and its staff that are not concerned with anything but getting that "good grade" even at the cost of a child's self esteem leaves a lot to be desired. An eleven year old child should not get depressed at the thought of going to school. Life for kids today is hard enough. Why our schools would like to operate like a prisons instead of someplace where our kids can go to get the tools needed to learn to lead good lives now and in the future and learn how to continue to help run this great country of ours. Why and when are we going to stop all of the bias and downright racist behaviors of some of our so called educatures. God help us and place some goodness into the cold hearts of those educators (if the shoe fits) that would pick and choose what child should be given the best education and guidence poissible to help ensure a better future for our beloved children (black, white, red and yellow). No child left behind, when are you going to practice what your preach?

Posted March 25, 2011
I agree wholeheartedly! This is suppose to be the best but the kids who are "carrying" the school aren't being taught by many of the teachers but by those parents like myself who are teaching them at home. You have cliques & racism that goes on, from being Chinese, Mexican, to black & etc. The teachers are some of the coldest women to ever be around. Children are never told that they are doing good work. The teachers, even student teachers, behave as if it's a problem to deal with children. There are only two black teachers, all others are white, except janitors & cafeteria workers. Principal is cold and really does not want to be bothered with parents. There are rules for some children & rules for others. Educational wise, my child is being challenged & is learning what some high schoolers are learning. So, I put up with the mess, except for the bullying (I have gone over there four times already. My child is being bullied by a teacher's child. Yeah, children whose parents work there, whether they live in area or not can attend school, conflict). PTA is best because all they do is think about money and how to spend it, not the children.

Posted March 24, 2011
Also what child know's their grandparnets name? I never once thought to teach her my mothers name. It's Mum to her. There was also picture day and I paid three dollars to get her neg. to see if I wanted to order the pictures. I call and ask one women tells me they never took the pics. When I went there to speak to the teach about the bullying I asked again. Another staff member told me they took the pictures and I have to get into with the photographer inorder to get my money back. It doesn't seem like the teachers care nor the staff. I do not see how this school can be one of the best schools in EBR. The staff and teachers represent this school and they are doing a poor job. I would like the rest of the parents say. If you have the money put your kid is private school.

Shenandoah Elementary School 2

Posted September 24, 2010
I was very dissappointed with this school. We completed 2nd grade with a very poor cirriculum. There were several skills not taught that should have been taught. Our teachers were nothing to be excited about. When one can not get a respose to a note or question there is a problem (there were many problems)! Granted, I know not all the teachers are that way and I did have an excellent 1st grade teacher. We have now left the school. My child was not getting the education she needed. I would not reccommend this school. If you can afford to send your child to private school that would be wise. Now Kindergarden has 31 kids/class and 1 class has 42 in 1 room with 2 teachers!!!! That is a riduculous amount of children in a room. Not all children can be reached there WILL be children left behind!

Posted June 29, 2009

Shenandoah Elementary School
16555 Appomattox Avenue, Baton Rouge, LA  70816
Last modified Shenandoah Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shenandoah Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top