Baton Rouge, LA

B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet
Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 09, 2015
They treat the children like the young adults they think they are. They are challenged. They are asked (grades 2-5) to do their homework without parent assistance, and it's not graded for correctness. Why? So they can actually explain to the teacher in their target language what they don't understand.

Posted August 09, 2015
My son (10) has been at this school since Pre-K, before the name change from South Boulevard. The educators at this school are fantastic. The immersion aspect is what roped me in. All of the teachers are ESL and our kids benefit from the culture the teachers impart on them. This school is preparing my son for the world, which opens up opportunities for my son that I could have never imagined. They welcome artistic expression, individuality, and creativity. They give our children a platform to display their talents and seek to uncover untapped wells of greatness. The children are nurtured in an environment that discourages; bullying, hate, violence, discrimination, and disrespect. Acceptance is a focal point. Parent involvement is encouraged on every level of this process, you will learn as much as your child does. The only negative is, it's small. You have to get applied early and get your child tested. It's worth the effort. If there is a better primary school, you'll have to split hairs or fudge numbers to prove it.

Posted March 30, 2015
As a parent and a graduate student in education, I would highly recommend this school. It offers structure and accountability and a diverse and rigorous education. In addition, the building up of the whole child is something that I truly appreciate. I would encourage anyone interested to visit the school and see the amazing things going on inside the building.

B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet 1

Posted December 09, 2014
Just wait until they get in the upper grades where standized testing is the main focus. Not as amazing.

Posted April 12, 2014
We love Baton Rouge FLAIM! My son began this year in kindergarten not knowing any French and now not only does he comprehend a great bit of the language, but he has also been teaching his younger sister the days of the week and to count in French. The teachers and administrators are friendly, caring, and know the children by name. The building is in desperate need of repair and the streets surrounding the school are very narrow making parking and carpooling difficult sometimes, but the language and ELA programs are phenomenal, as are the P.E. and music classes. The PTO is active and involved organizing several activities for the students and their families. FLAIM is truly a hidden gem of the EBR schools.

Posted February 23, 2014
This school is awesome. The teachers are caring, the academics are not only rigorous, but also focus on the well roundedness of the students. This school has won numerous awards and grants and is really one of the most diverse schools in this city. I would urge parents to visit. Don't be surprised if you don't like the look of the old building, but please walk the halls and visit the classrooms and I guarantee you will leave utterly impressed!

Posted February 23, 2014
BR FLAIM is an absolute jewel of a school and everything a modern progressive parent wants: active PTO, engaged administrators who know EVERY child's name; competent teachers who are qualified and engaged in the classroom; a school ethos that values EVERY child's abilities regardless of the educational capital s/he brings to the classroom and a rigorous intellectual environment. I could go on and on but suffice it to say that the move my wife and I made from the private school immersion program a (after 5 years) to BR FLAIM has been the best decision we have made for our children's education this far. If you are interested in language immersion for your child(ren) take the time to call Ms. Miller or one of the other administrators at FLAIM and I PROMISE you will not be disappointed!

B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet 1

Posted February 19, 2014
I have found this school to be unresponsive. I am looking for more information. I have called and been told to call back, and when I do they once again tell me to call back. I have emailed and have received no response. I was very interested in this school until I found that no one was willing to help me or answer my questions.

Posted October 20, 2013
Many of my classmates came from BRIS to BR FLAIM. The advantages are that you don't have to pay a lot and that you focus on just one language and learn ALL subjects on that language which helps you speak fluently at it. Thank you to ALL my teachers for helping me become successful in middle school and for helping me become in the Immersion program which is very special and not many students get to be in in middle school. All of the teachers are wonderful and come from foreign countries.

Posted June 13, 2012
My son just finished kindergarten here and I'm so excited that we'll have 5 more years at this incredible little school. I can't believe how much language he's acquired in just one year! There are only 2 classes per grade--one Spanish, one French--so its easy to get to know other parents/teachers/staff/etc. Its a diverse group of kids from all over the city & teachers from all over the world, in the heart of downtown BR. I'm so happy we found this school. My only criticism is that its not promoted well enough--if more people knew about it they could probably double the size.

B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet
802 Mayflower Street, Baton Rouge, LA  70802
Last modified B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top