Bad
Good

I had heard wonderful things about FLAIM and was excited for this opportunity for my son to learn through Spanish Immersion, especially in Baton Rouge. That was until my first grader, on the Polk campus of FLAIM, was taped to his chair by his teacher. The school did not inform me and the teacher was not disciplined. I found out from a parent whose daughter came home crying about it. I asked my son and he confirmed, but begged me not to talk to his teacher because he was scared. I addressed it at the school. The teacher was talked to and simply had a flag put on his folder. That followed with an apology, multiple PTC and SBLC meetings between teachers, counselors, and administrators, and doctor appointments. That did not correct the actions, attitude, and avoidance of the teacher. It did not correct the fact that the teacher text me saying he would not speak to my fiancé because he is not my sons biological father. I wanted to begin building a more positive relationship with him so that my son could continue in the program, but I could see that was not going to happen. After addressing everything, including discrepancies in grades and behavior, we were asked to transfer. I'm aware this is just one case and one teacher, however the actions of the teacher and the withholding of information from the school is unacceptable. I do believe this is a nurturing program for most families and I am positive there are wonderful, capable teacher and administrations here. I am still disappointed with what happened to my son and how we were treated. Just yesterday I tried to get my sons supplies from his class. The teacher only have him back three pencils and some crayons out of the $75 supply pack I purchased, all with his name on it. Having said this, I'll add that the guidance counselor is an amazing advocate and extremely professional, as well as caring. If your child is on the Polk campus of FLAIM, I encourage you to work with her. The 1st grade ELA teacher is also extremely caring and professional. She is a great teacher, as I'm sure the majority of the teachers there are. If your child is a part of the 1st grade Spanish immersion program on the Polk campus next year, I'm almost positive you won't have to worry about working with the current teacher. If you do, I hope your child has a more positive relationship with him than mine did.

Amount of homework: Agree

They treat the children like the young adults they think they are. They are challenged. They are asked (grades 2-5) to do their homework without parent assistance, and it's not graded for correctness. Why? So they can actually explain to the teacher in their target language what they don't understand.

My son (10) has been at this school since Pre-K, before the name change from South Boulevard. The educators at this school are fantastic. The immersion aspect is what roped me in. All of the teachers are ESL and our kids benefit from the culture the teachers impart on them. This school is preparing my son for the world, which opens up opportunities for my son that I could have never imagined. They welcome artistic expression, individuality, and creativity. They give our children a platform to display their talents and seek to uncover untapped wells of greatness. The children are nurtured in an environment that discourages; bullying, hate, violence, discrimination, and disrespect. Acceptance is a focal point. Parent involvement is encouraged on every level of this process, you will learn as much as your child does. The only negative is, it's small. You have to get applied early and get your child tested. It's worth the effort. If there is a better primary school, you'll have to split hairs or fudge numbers to prove it.

As a parent and a graduate student in education, I would highly recommend this school. It offers structure and accountability and a diverse and rigorous education. In addition, the building up of the whole child is something that I truly appreciate. I would encourage anyone interested to visit the school and see the amazing things going on inside the building.

Just wait until they get in the upper grades where standized testing is the main focus. Not as amazing.

We love Baton Rouge FLAIM! My son began this year in kindergarten not knowing any French and now not only does he comprehend a great bit of the language, but he has also been teaching his younger sister the days of the week and to count in French. The teachers and administrators are friendly, caring, and know the children by name. The building is in desperate need of repair and the streets surrounding the school are very narrow making parking and carpooling difficult sometimes, but the language and ELA programs are phenomenal, as are the P.E. and music classes. The PTO is active and involved organizing several activities for the students and their families. FLAIM is truly a hidden gem of the EBR schools.

This school is awesome. The teachers are caring, the academics are not only rigorous, but also focus on the well roundedness of the students. This school has won numerous awards and grants and is really one of the most diverse schools in this city. I would urge parents to visit. Don't be surprised if you don't like the look of the old building, but please walk the halls and visit the classrooms and I guarantee you will leave utterly impressed!

BR FLAIM is an absolute jewel of a school and everything a modern progressive parent wants: active PTO, engaged administrators who know EVERY child's name; competent teachers who are qualified and engaged in the classroom; a school ethos that values EVERY child's abilities regardless of the educational capital s/he brings to the classroom and a rigorous intellectual environment. I could go on and on but suffice it to say that the move my wife and I made from the private school immersion program a (after 5 years) to BR FLAIM has been the best decision we have made for our children's education this far. If you are interested in language immersion for your child(ren) take the time to call Ms. Miller or one of the other administrators at FLAIM and I PROMISE you will not be disappointed!

I have found this school to be unresponsive. I am looking for more information. I have called and been told to call back, and when I do they once again tell me to call back. I have emailed and have received no response. I was very interested in this school until I found that no one was willing to help me or answer my questions.

Many of my classmates came from BRIS to BR FLAIM. The advantages are that you don't have to pay a lot and that you focus on just one language and learn ALL subjects on that language which helps you speak fluently at it. Thank you to ALL my teachers for helping me become successful in middle school and for helping me become in the Immersion program which is very special and not many students get to be in in middle school. All of the teachers are wonderful and come from foreign countries.

Last modified B. R. Foreign Language Academy Immersion Magnet is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.