Airline High School

Public | 8-12

Posted July 3, 2014

these are some amazing faculty as far as the principal he is amazing he truly cares about airline high school the school spirit is out of this world as far as it being racist and all about sports I have never seen racism but they do over do it on the sports thing especially football so now that's out the way send your kids here they will be challenged academically and socially poor management of the school I have never seen that but I can only speak for my principal airline is the best in bossier you can't go wrong with this school some of the teachers could work on there attitude but this is a good school I will come back and review some more when the school year starts

Posted June 4, 2014

I graduated from airline. The truth is that its not a sports school or an academic school at all. It is a school full of the good ole boy system, racist, and if you are not from money you dont count. Ive personally witnessed teachers and staff use racial language. And yes they have a new principal. It happens about every two years due to the poor management of the school. If you move to the Bossier parish area the. You want your kids in the haughton or parkway district. Thats just being honest.

Posted May 9, 2014

This school is amazing. Everybody works together. The teachers focus on each student and give them the attention they need. The rumors that they let kids bring guns to school and that it is all about sports are wrong. They have a wonderful principle that cares about all school activities. The recognize all academic and athletic achievements. They have opportunities to get more involved in school. They have Drama, Beta, Mu Alpha Theta, For the Third, FCA, Outdoor club, Yearbook, Newspaper, and many more. I am the person I am today because of Airline High School.

Posted February 28, 2013

They let kids bring guns to school. Their "no-Tolerance" policy is as rubber as their brains. If they don't contact the police or the D.A.'s office soon, then I will.

Posted July 10, 2012

I'm a student at Airline High School, and it is an outstanding school. I love everything about it. The teachers are great, and very helpful. It has great academics, and activities. Everyone is welcomed, and included as much as possible. I would definitely recommend this school. It is cliquish, and does have a few fights every now and then, but that's every school.

Posted April 5, 2011

My wife and I are the proud parents of 4 children and have the opportunity to live in Shreveport, LA or Bossier City, LA. We chose to live in Bossier specifically for the great schools. We live in North Bossier and all of our children attended Apollo elementary, then Green Acres Middle School and our 3rd child is currently a freshman at Airline High School and we have an 8th grader that will be a freshman at Airline High School this fall. Our two older children are in college and have done very well as a result of the educational background they received while at Airline. Not only did they receive a great education but learned how to interact with others, build life skills and understanding of a team approach. Currently Airline is on the brink of a very positive movement with a passionate, caring newly named principal who truly has a heart for the students. The administration at the school, teachers, counselors, coaches, all staff are focused on making the best experience possible for the student in not only a top-notch education but the opportunity to learn life skills. We are extremely impressed with the quality of Airline High School and strongly recommend the school!

Posted September 13, 2010

Airline High School is all about the sports. Especially football.Even the teachers are more concerned with the football games and players and looking cool than actually teaching. Honestly, the kids are just as bad. It is a very ignorant school setting and not very friendly to newcomers.

Posted January 1, 2010

Great neighborhood School, Testing includes a diverse population.

Posted December 16, 2008

Airline was an awesome school to attend for my four years. The facilities are nice and the teachers are well educated! I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a school district for their children.

Posted October 24, 2008

Administrative assistance is zero! They are uncooperative!

Posted December 17, 2007

I love Airline, I graduated from there in 93, my daughter was 2 weeks old the day I graduated. Because of the awesome teachers and Mr. Machen, the principal at the time, I was able to get my diploma. Now my kid is a freshman and she loves it. This is a wonderful school for all students from all backgrounds. They are firm but understanding, they let the teenagers be teenagers but they still have boundaries.

Posted October 12, 2007

I'm an Airline alum and I just graduated summa cum laude from LSU. Airline's AP courses and stringent academics definitely prepared me for college. When compared to my friends at nearby schools, I believe that I got a much better education. I had great teachers who cared about how I did and who pushed me to take harder classes. However, it is cliquish, but I believe that there is a clique for everyone, you just have to find your place. And of course there are going to be a few teachers who you don't agree with, but that's par for the course. Looking back on my friends in college, I have to say that I think Airline better prepared me than most LA private schools would have.

Posted September 8, 2007

Airline is an excellent school. THere is something for everyone at Airline, if the students choose to become involved. Academics are excellent and extracurricular activities are plentiful. Please don't complain about being left out or not rich enough. It seems to me the ones to complain so much are the ones that are totally not involved, by their own choice might I add. The teachers and students at Airline are more than willing to include all students in activities to make their school better!

Posted September 3, 2007

The school could be improved by: truly embracing diversity and actively recruiting those not typically involved. There is a cliquish atmosphere as well as an attitude of majority rules, others not encouraged to participate. All kids, will flourish in an environment that fosters inclusion, respect of differences and tolerance.

Posted August 23, 2007

Hey ! I think that Airline is an excellent school. I do not agree that they focus more on athletics than academics. I would recommend you sending your child to this school and...one more thing how would parents know if people were snobby and rich ? Oh and by the way...we live in bossier---not beverly hills---students are not as rich as you put them out to be.

Posted June 6, 2007

Airline is a poor example for a school. Yes it may be one of the greatest schools in the Bossier area but the problems out weight that title. I was a former student there my freshman and sophmore year and in that time I noticed that it was very cliquish and that it had poor educational opportunities. There weren't that many teachers that would go out of their way to help you. I do not recommend sending your child to this school.

Posted April 21, 2006

Airline, as well as Louisiana schools in general, could benefit from the educational practices set forth by higher achieving states. I feel Airline is much more concerned with athletics vs academics and family finances and how influential parents may benefit the school rather than how the school should benefit it's students. This school is a prime example that you can't judge a book by it's cover. The illusion is given of a caring dedicated faculity, but is dependent on the parent's income bracket.

Posted August 11, 2005

Airline is a good school other than the fact that there are so many snobby people there. If you are not rich, you feel left out most of the time. The academics are OK, but not the best in my opinion. I am a recent graduate of AHS, and it is an OK school, but once again, not the best.

Posted January 14, 2005

Airline is the 'elite' of Bossier public schools-with all of the good and bad connotations that go with it! Lots of extracurriculars, lots of school spirit, heavy focus on athletics, great academics, as well. The down side? Very much a caste system within the social environment. Very clique-ish, and the faculty often seems to go along. More attention paid to the 'have's' than the 'have not's'. My neice is currently a student at AHS, and seems to fit in well enough, but as a former community volunteer at the school, I observed a lot of instances where the teachers seemed more concerned about popularity than quality of education for everyone.

Posted July 13, 2004

Airline is a poor excuse of a school. Bullying is an everyday problem that should be adressed and taken care of. They also have poor academics.
—Submitted by a staff

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

381 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

381 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2801 Airline Drive