Bossier High School

Public | 8-12 | 643 students

Posted July 8, 2014

I'm currently a junior here and is 1 of the best I've ever been enlisted in and that's saying something because I have a military family so I experience alot of high schools. Sure bossier high USE to be a bad schools but since 2008 it's taken a dramatic improvement. It's not hard to fit in and the teachers treat us like no other schools I've been to. Im very proud of Bossier High

Posted January 28, 2014

As a former student of Bossier High School, I am proud to articulate how lucky I am to have survived such a harsh environment. I graduated in 2003, and I still cannot seem to let go of the atrocities I experienced in high school. I would attend my first class where the assigned teacher would give an assignment, such as reading a chapter and leave the room for the remainder of the class period. Bullying and prejudice came mainly from the teachers and staff. With a few exceptions, the staff was impolite, obnoxious, and wholly uneducated. At a school performance, I was booed off stage while things were thrown at me. To my surprise, there were no repercussions. These are only a few examples of the many instances that I can remember. As far as education, I have learned how horribly lacking this school is since attending college where they supposedly care less about students. Because of the horrors of attending BHS, I have been studying secondary education. I plan to give back to students similar to myself that were discriminated against, bullied, and thrown aside by administration and faculty. If I lived in this school district, I would move heaven and earth to get my son out of it.

Posted December 14, 2008

Bossier High school is an awesome school, the teachers are well caring and the principal is great.. if i had a child i would want them to go there.. so u should consider it as well..

Posted December 10, 2008

This school is very friendly. The new principal 'Big Daddy' is an awesome man. He always has the time to help solve our problems. He damands alot from his teachers and listens to us. He has made this an awesome place to learn.

Posted August 18, 2008

As a parent of a BHS student I must say that I am doing my level best at this time to get her transfered to a different school. This school is not a good school, and they treat some students differently then others.

Posted August 11, 2008

Im a former graduate class of 08.... the school has really improved over the years... the pricipal is not only your mentor but he also a friend.. you can go to him and ask him anything and we would most likely have the answer one way or another....

Posted August 8, 2008

I just graduated from bossier and it is by far the best high school ever i would not have had such an amazing high school experience at any other school go Bearkats!

Posted August 3, 2008

I love this school i am attending this school and i am a junior there. so far my years there have been exciting. they have good discipline and great teachers. no matter what people say about the school i will always love this school. it has great people great teachers. and great principals.

Posted September 10, 2007

Parent involvement is non existant! There are almost no extra programs except JROTC that are supported by the school.

Posted August 7, 2007

it is not that safe thay need more teachers on duty in the bathrooms and field house

Posted November 2, 2006

I just want to say that bossier high school was the best experience for me. My parents moved me around a lot so I went to several different schools during my high school years and I have always seemed to come right back to bossier high! And from my experience with the other schools bossier was the one that my peers judged me less and I felt like a fit in! The teachers were always there for me when I needed someone to talk to either about my home life or school life!

Posted June 27, 2006

This school is very disiplined and very education oriented. It has a great JROTC program, Band, and sports program.

Posted January 6, 2006

As a parent of a freshman at bhs, i have noticed that although the building are not as updated as some schools in the area, it absolutely does not damper the superior spirit this school exhibits. I have always been able to contact any teacher at practically anytime. If a message is left it is promptly returned. My son has extrodinary coaches and has learned to have the upmost respect for his teammates and others. Even though the other schools in the area have newer, more modern facilities, they will never compare with the class of this school.

Posted February 3, 2005

I am currently a senior at Bossier high school and I must say I have never seen a school like this one. In my four years here I have never seen any racial or social problems nor any drug problems. Bossier has a low count of violence and its small enrollment makes you feel noticed and important. The teachers provide the infomation and they really teach it well. Bossier high is one of the best schools in the state in my opinion and any child would be privileged to attend this school.

Posted January 24, 2005

Bossier High School, though having one of the smallest enrollments in Bossier parish, is sorely lacking. The school is in need of desperate upgrade to the buildings and facilities. As to management. Try and get in touch with the principal or a teacher- 99% of the time you'll get voice mail or a student that is ill trained in competently answering a phone. But don't expect a response, that is unless you call the school board in Benton and light a fire under them. Homework- mostly non existent. Uniforms- policy in place, but hardly enforced. Discipline- numerous fights and altercations among students. The list could go on and on. A mediocre school at best. But at least it's better than Shreveport high schools.

Posted January 22, 2005

I'm not trying to give a negative outlook on schools I have attended, I am only voicing what i feel could use improvement. at BHS, there is a lot of misbehavior that is well overlooked or not noticed. punishment is not very severe and doesn't make students feel threatened. the extracurricular activities are good as far as what is available and such. there are racial or popularity issues to me at this school, as the school teams and organizations are majority one race or one 'social group'. I think this could intimiate peers from wanting to participate. One teacher I had made me feel insecure, because I wasn't as good and already felt intimidated by other students. also, the block schedule is a little hectic. this is because everyday for each semester only attending the same 4 classes until the next semester for an hour and a half can be stressful/boring.

Posted November 11, 2004

My grandchild goes to Bossier High and it has made a wonderful impact on her and our lives. Shes on the danceteam and soccer team and its amazing how the teachers support the students the way they do. I have all faith in Bossier High and it's teachers!

Posted September 7, 2004

I graduated from BHS in 1975. My brother in 1973. My nieces in 1995 and 2000. I have two children there now, future graduates from the classes of 2005 and 2008. I wouldn't have my children in any other school in Bossier Parish than at Bossier High School. It's small, the kids come from middle class families, we don't have the problem with fights and drugs they have at the other school...but BHS has a reputation for being ghetto anyway. It's not. It's great!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

160 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

160 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

777 Bearkat Drive