Curtis Elementary School

Public | 4-5 | 440 students

Posted May 3, 2013

The Instructional Aspect of the School is very well-regarded, and there are a host of extracurricular activities that students can participate in. However, Principal Pool and some of the instructors have proven to be Unfair, Dishonest, and Unprofessional. The Principal has spoken negatively of a Parent in the Presence of both the Student and the Parent. As well, some of the Instructors have been discriminatory in their interactions with particular students

Posted July 21, 2012

EXCELLENT Principal!!! Great, dedicated teachers, too! Lots of clubs to make kids get involved and feel important. Would DEFINITELY recommend!

Posted May 23, 2012

Curtis Is a great school! We are a millitary family, and had concerns about the schools, however Curtis has proven to be a good school, with great teachers and leadership!

Posted April 12, 2010

Curtis Elementary is a great school. Both of my children went to school there and so did my husband. I am so greatful to be a part of such an awesome school.

Posted July 8, 2009

We moved to South Bossier last summer. Prior to this our child had attended a well known private Christian school in Shreveport since Kindergarten. Everyone thought that she'd be so far ahead in public schools since she was a straight A student for 4 years...but that was not the case at Curtis. They offer a much more in-depth curriculum, a change we were and still are very excited about. Additionally, our daughter was well prepared by her 4th grade teachers for the LEAP exam. Lastly, we were pleasantly surprised that Curtis does a far better job than the private school did regarding leadership, values and opportunities for ALL their students, athletes or otherwise. Needless to say, we are quite pleased with the principal, teachers, staff & parental involvement at Curtis. Academics are of utmost importance at Curtis. It's a great school & we highly recommend it.

Posted September 30, 2008

My daughter has always attended Texas schools and I was very concerned about Louisiana schools. Curtis has been a challenge for my daughter and this is for the good every night we have to study for two hours for all of her subjects. The down side to Lousiana schools is the grading scale compared to that of college or Texas grade schools it is set way to high. The school is very small and I don't feel they have enough resources such as the library but overall am pleased with her teacher and the school.

Posted September 20, 2007

My child is attending Curtis for her 5th grade year! Her teachers are terrific and knowledgeable. They work with the parent to educate the child.

Posted September 19, 2007

My son started fourth grade at Curtis this year and I was very nervous when school started. However, his experience has been wonderful and he loves it. His teacher is very positive and knowledgeable. The administration is caring and involved. We love Curtis!

Posted June 4, 2007

The communication level at this school leaves much to be desired,I would have to call 3 or more times and send emails in order to get any help.The principal and some of the teachers are very good about making broken promises.If you want to feel that you and your child are important do not send them to this school.I felt like I was the bad guy and all I was trying to do was get my child the help she so desperately needed.My child even failed the LEAP test and the school was aware before the test that she was having some issues and they did nothing in order to help her get ready.I feel that there's no accountability here at all.We are selling our home and moving back to Texas, the school system there are a lot better.

Posted April 19, 2007

My second child is currently attending Curtis Elementary School. The new prinicpal is doing a great job! My child has teachers who are involved and caring. I think we have the best school in Bossier. This is the third school we have attended here in Louisiana, coming from California Private schools. I am thrilled with the education and built a home in this area for the schools. I think it would be great to have some additional activities. I have found the staff receptive to questions and concerns. Great School!

Posted April 11, 2007

Well I am a parent who tried like CRAZY to be involved in my son's education while going to Curtis for two years (2004-2006). The teachers and faculty, made it very hard. I don't want to knock them too hard, here, my son has been to worse schools and they did teach well, but I was very disappointed and constantly frustrated. The teachers were so busy trying to get those high scores, and doing whatever else they did, they didn't have time to work with me or my child. I was continually promised that he'd see the school counselor...he never did. Calls were seldom returned until AFTER my second or third call. My son was a good kid, just distracting because of his aspergers syndrome. They also did nothing about the bullying he endured almost daily.

Posted December 19, 2005

My child attended before the new principal. I think it will be much better now. But the leadership and the teachers preparing the 4th graders for LEAP had alot to be desired. The school was ran like a prison camp. Kids had to eat in silence almost every day. I always wondered if the teachers ate in silence in the teachers lounge!! I truely believe Curtis in on the way up.

Posted February 19, 2005

This is a very good school. The teachers are very hard working professionals and it shows that they are making a big difference...test scores are very high and teachers are constantly working after school to help with after school programs and grants to acquire technology for the students. Parents do not recognize the contributions the teachers make to add value to the school. There is another problem with the parents. They are under-involved. They want their childeren to have good grades, but they are so busy in their own lives that they do not have the time to help their children at home. What they do is call and complain all the time. This is their motto,' Give them an A and let them play.'
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 18, 2004

This school has great test scores but the teachers and principal lies don't trust them they are very rude and tell children they are stupid.

Posted June 15, 2004

Curtis is a great school that my son is attending. The 1 thing I do not agree with is the cheerleader active. My other was a cheerleader for curtis. I was dissapointed that they olny activy sports wise is the cheerleader activy. There should be a football or basketball team. Even if they olny play other teams at the school. It teaches the kids to get along with teammates. And cheerleaders get to cheer at games. It also perpars them for Elm Grove's sports teams.

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5600 Barksdale Boulevard