Waller Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 581 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 29, 2014

We had two children who attended Waller Elementary up until the fourth grade. There are a couple of teachers who go out of their way to help the students but are hampered because of ridiculous city and state regulations. Do not be fooled by some of the "scripted comments" on here from teachers because this school did not do anything to help my children. We had the same issues with the "prison-like" environment and we would get multiple updates from our children daily about how a child said or did this to them or to a teacher and nothing happened. I don't know how many times my children came home hungry because of the lack of time they receive during their lunch period!? We stopped letting them get lunch because we kept getting over charged and since the kids weren't able to sit down and eat, we started packing the kids lunch every day and would re-use any perishable item the next day. My only other distaste for this school is their lack of focus on education. If you have never heard of the LEAP test, or Common Core, please take a few minutes to research it. There should be no reason why the students should focus almost all of their school year focusing on a test.

Posted August 23, 2013

this is a awesome school!!!!!!!!!!! the pre-k program is sooo much fun!!!! the kids really enjoy everything that they do!!! there is soo much progress from the beginning of the year to the end of it!!! they learn how to get along with others, follow the rules, letters, numbers, colors, etc!!!

Posted August 23, 2013

The teachers and staff go above and beyond to help your child! My son has dyslexia and they are just wonderful in helping him learn and do the best he can.

Posted August 22, 2013

Waller works hard to meet the needs of all students. We try to promote a happy, positive environment.

Posted August 22, 2013

Waller is a school with a diverse population & passionate teachers! It is a great place for children to learn & grow!

Posted August 22, 2013

Waller is a GREAT school. I have read the comments and I can't believe how some people has put their issues into words. They have Great Teachers at the school. They are caring and over sincere about the children. Parents need to give the teachers standing applause because they make sure they're dress, fed and beside their education gets plenty of hugs before they leave from the school each day.

Posted August 22, 2013

The teachers, faculty and staff at Waller are dedicated professionals who word hard everyday to help students succeed. The school is a positive place where standards are high and children are valued.

Posted August 22, 2013

Waller Elementary School is a great school with AMAZING teachers. They are always friendly and helpful and they do everything they can to promote a family environment for the students. Three of my children attended Waller and they were well-prepared academically and they also have many wonderful memories of the time they spent as a Wildcat.

Posted August 22, 2013

Waller Elementary is an excellent school full of hard-working teachers who go above and beyond to meet the needs of the students.

Posted August 22, 2013

Great improvements under the new administration! Faculty and teachers are really there for my kids. School is newly painted, updated, and welcoming! We love Waller! Needs more parent involvement though.

Posted August 21, 2013

Waller is a school filled with compassionate teachers who work tirelessly to help their students achieve the goals set forth by Bossier Parish and the state of Louisiana. I am proud to have taught here for many years and would not want to be anywhere else. Waller Wildcats, whether teachers or students, are the best!

Posted August 1, 2013

Waller Elementary is underrated. This is my second year as a teacher here and I have been really impressed with the faculty, administration, students, parents, and community support. The administration. teachers, and support staff work hard to give the students a safe learning environment where the students can succeed. Parent and community support help make this school even better. The children are excited to be here and really make Waller outstanding! Nothing but great things happening here at Waller!

Posted October 24, 2012

I am a parent of a Waller wild cat. When I first found out we move on base and my son HAS to attend Waller my stomach hurt after reading OLD ratings and hearing storys from people online. I now have to totally disagree. THE SCHOOL IS GREAT. Yes the building might be a little older, but the teachers and stuff are great! With a great brand new principal and a PTO I have absolutly nothing bad to say. I believe that parent involvement plays also a big roll. The teachers and stuff sure do all they can do to make it a good learning experiance for our kids. I RECOMEND this school and I really don't know where the whole "it's a bad school" speach comes from! Hope this helps.

Posted July 21, 2012

The teachers are awesome at this school, and really give it all they've got to teach kids to learn. It is true that they do not have an "official" recess time, but this is due to their dedication to Reading & Math. The new principal is FANTASTIC (the one who just retired was amazing as well) and the Wildcats are lucky to have such a dedicated educator. They expect a lot out of the kids behavior-wise, which is great. The pride is school wide, and the kids love it. I agree about the prior statements about the coach and the building being a little older, but the teachers deal beautifully with what they have!

Posted July 17, 2011

Miss Rosette & Mr O'nunian are just about the only saving graces this school has. The staff uses a prison protocol as a disciplinary system (which is illegal & discriminatory), and the school has no recess for 2nd-5th grades, which is unnaturally restrictive for the children (& unhealthy for them) & burdensome for the teachers (behavioral troubles in class). With few exceptions, this school is a disaster for kids and parents alike. My daughter, a loving, straight A student, was coming home bawling, and would lose it trying to tell me how her day was. Discovering that coach Plaza was teaching the kids how to act in prison by playing "jail tag" in PE, I knew we had to leave in 2011. Our experience at this school was a nightmare, infringed on my rights as a parent, my daughter's rights as a student, and put a very dark cloud over my daughter's opinion of schooling that lasts to this day!

Posted March 12, 2010

My child loves Waller! We have attended Waller for 2 years and these have been the happiest years for my daughter. The school has tons of fun activities for the children. She loves Sock Hop - dancing during P.E. as well as earning her Cat Cash and 'buying' toys from their counselor with it. The teachers are all dedicated & work extremely hard. The school keeps me updated with grades and emails on the computer and it's always easy to reach her teachers. It's a great school with great leaders. I appreciate all that they do with so many kids. Thank you!

Posted July 5, 2009

School is very outdated, and dark. It in not an enviornment conducive for learning. There are some really great teachers, expecially the teacher in the gasp room, but other then her, the school needs an overhaul.

Posted July 5, 2008

We are a military family and we moved here in 2001 and all 3 of my kids attended waller. My daughter will be going into the 3rd grade this coming school year. I love Waller Elem School and that has been the best thing about Bossier City and next school year we are moving back to Florida and I'm really going the miss Waller! Go Wildcats!

Posted June 4, 2008

My oldest son attended Waller and now is at Rucheon. I see a trend in the schools here and do not like it. The leadership seems to be one minded and tend not to agree or see issues the same as my husband and I. Now I have a child starting pre-school at Waller this coming school year. I am not looking forward to dealing with the office personnel. I plan to join the PTO because things don't seem right, expecially in the fundraising area. How can there possibly be no aircondintioning in buses and some of the schools rooms? We are in the South people!!!! I will not support any fundraising unless it is to fix this priority.

Posted April 25, 2008

There are major bullying problems that get ignored by staff and principal alike at this school. My kindergartner was getting beat up on the playground daily for weeks, and it was being ignored by the teachers. It took me yelling at the principal about what kind of school she was running before anything was done. However, one of the kids involved did get expelled (yes, a kindergartner). This should tell you what kind of school this is. My son is now in 3rd grade and there are still bullies that teachers are ignoring. If you have the money for a private school, RUN, do not walk, and enroll your child there. Especially if you have a gifted child. My son is very smart, unfortunately, this school does not challange him enough and he gets bored in class.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian 2% 1%

• Janice Hollis
Fax number
  • (318) 549-6863

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1130 Patricia Drive