Stockwell Place Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted May 26, 2014

Love SPE! All three of our children have attended Stockwell. We have been there for 11 years and our last child will be in 5th grade next year. It is a tight knit community- the teachers and staff LOVE these kids!

Posted September 30, 2013

Stockwell teachers do a super job of keeping test scores high without "teaching the test." This is accomplished with the kids still having PE and recess every day! They really study and think about the best way to help children learn without resorting to busy work. These are some of the best teachers in the state. The entire faculty and staff have a positive, professional demeanor. People smile here!

Posted June 20, 2012

Wonderful school, one of the best in Bossier City. It has quality teachers and small classes, so your child will recieve a great education. My daughter has attended Stockwell since Kindergarten, and she'll be in third grade next year. She reads at a 4.7 grade level, and loves her school. Every school asks for fundraising (it's always optional), but at Stockwell you can see where the money goes - back to the students. The school just built a new 5th grade wing, with an ART classroom, music room, and computer lab. It's the kind of school where everyone will know your child by name. Other good elementary schools in the area are Legacy and W. T. Lewis, but we love Stockwell. Hope this helps!

Posted October 10, 2011

I too am aggravated with the CONSTANT request for money through fundraising at Stockwell. My child gets very upset when she cannot participate in the ridiculous stretch limo ride to Johnny's Pizza (or whatever is it) or the super party for selling so many items, but each time I have to explain to her "I don't have money to GIVE to the school!!" and neither do our neighbors!! I refuse to participate in any of them. I participate in the fundraisers that go towards helping others outside of the school, NOT Stockwell Elementary.

Posted October 9, 2011

Fundraising at this school. These days and times alot of people don't have the money to throw about as others do. I think there should be other parent involved activities to help offset this funds demand. Things like weekend car washes, bake sells, teacher/parent pie in the face contest. We as parents need to be heard concerning the constant request for money and work with other parents and faculty, for a better solution.

Posted October 9, 2011

I disagree with the person who said the kids seem to run the school. What school have you been to? Certainly not the Stockwell school I know!

Posted April 20, 2011

I don't mind fund raising if it benefits my child education, but in short time we have been attending this school they have asked for money serveral times a week. Also the kids seem to run the school, the teachers don't know how to handle group bullying. The bullying in this school is physical and steps have not been taken to control or deter.

Posted October 8, 2010

We have been very happy with Stockwell! The school atmosphere is very positive. Children are greated every day with sincere smiles and often hugs. This love for the children continues when you see teachers in the community. We have been very happy with the clubs and extras offered to enrich every day. I wanted a private school for my children, but this was a fabulous, close knit alternative! Our child has excelled academically and socially at Stockwell.

Posted August 17, 2010

Unfortunately my child did not have best experience with four years at Stockwell like others . We had one seasoned teacher who engaged my child and the rest were harsh, obnoxious, criticized a lot and tried to justify it by how many (too few) years they've been teaching. The other students picked up on this and bullied my child. The teachers are dealt with large class sizes and no aides to help. As well as a much focused strict uniform policy. I know the new schools in the district are good and the teachers are much happier people. I would highly recommend out of state families moving into the area to live in the Benton area. I lived in a desirable neighborhood to get into Stockwell and it's not worth the stress.

Posted September 26, 2009

The school is not run like a military academy like some would believe. The faculty is great (some). I would be careful not to have tp as my child's teach. Test scores does not make a welcoming faculty or administration. Blue ribbon or not I would think if my child had to go here for the first years of school.

Posted June 14, 2009

By far the best school my children have ever attended. Yes they do ask for money often, any god school does. I would be happy to pay those little 'needs' anyday for my children to attend such a dedicated to preformance school. We too are a military family & currently living in Korea missing Stockwell like crazy. One of the teachers we had still communicates with us today & it has been over a year that my children attended there.

Posted April 2, 2009

Both my daughters have attended Stockwell Elementary for a total of 4 years (combined). As a military family (living in this military community), I appreciate the respect & discipline the faculty strive to instill in the children. It is the foundation of elementary education. The faculty works hard to establish the proper environment for learning - and the children are flourishing in the classroom as a result. The 'test scores' do not lie - they are the result of quality education. I've been impressed with the quality of the education my children receive. The respect and discipline they are learning now will benefit them for the rest of their lives. The faculty cares about setting a positive example and making a positive impact on the kids. It is apparent the children s success is a high priority for the faculty. Great Job, Stockwell.

Posted October 21, 2008

Regretably, I spent a great deal of money just to get into the coveted Stockwell Place school district, -after reading so many rave reviews & hearing what a 'wonderful school' it is, 'Blue ribbon, etc., etc..... (did I miss something??) I am so glad to see that I am not the only parent having to fight with my child every morning to get him to go to this school! I, too, have to deal with the crying, and his dreading having to deal with the teacher(s), yes plural, & hope & pray that he doesn't fall behind on a project because they will swiftly send you out in the hall to finish your work- nevermind that you might need some additional help!! (We have to keep test scores up!) -The staff has a very snobbish attitude as a whole, & the school asks for $$ of some sort every single week!

Posted October 5, 2008

I read all the reviews and I am sure I know why 1) some of you are confused about the reviews & 2) why some of you wrote those reviews. 1st of all, if you had a great teacher, like Mrs. Green, then you had a good experience. Other teachers do not communicate with parents at all. The review that said to pray you have a teacher who is strict and fun, I know exactly what teacher her child had; anyone does who reads this. Becasue of that teacher, I constantly have to fight with my child to get her to school. She cries every morning, hates school already and her teacher is a big part of the problem. If I wanted to home school her, I would. I put my trust in the school system to do that and its not getting the job done.

Posted July 14, 2008

We live in the Richmond Cove area and are in the Military. This school is by far one of the best schools our children could attend. Our child has excelled in all subjects and has loved each teacher like a family member. The teachers and staff keep parents updated and involved in school activites. I wish we didn't have to move!

Posted May 2, 2008

My boys have loved their time at Stockwell. I wouldn't say it is a Military Academy. I will say the children are made to follow the rules!!!! Yes, they are strict but Goodness knows Children need structure. If we teach them now that they can overlook a rule if the rule makes their day less fun, what in the world are we really teaching them? The only problem we have encountered is not really the 'bully' but the snob. Children mimic behavior they see at home and some of the children are complete and total snobs. They tease about parental incomes, the type of cars driven and the quality of the uniforms, belts & shoes. Our school is trying so hard to grow well rounded childern, if the parnets guilty of looking down their nose could see how they are opening the door for hate...well then it would perfect!

Posted January 29, 2008

Stockwell is the best public school for the area. Unfortunaley they do add undo pressure on the kids and parents regarding the uniform rules. Stockwell staff can lose sight of their priorities sometimes. The teachers have a lot of pressure on themselves too. I do think there needs to be more parent involvement in the classroom though and that would help. You just pray you get a good structured teacher who will still have fun with the kids.

Posted October 25, 2007

My oldest son spent 3 years at Stockwell Place and now my youngest is in first grade at Stockwell as well. I can't say enough great things about this school. All the teachers I've dealt with have been wonderful. Both boys love(ed) Stockwell and have excelled academically. I'm very confused about the previous reviews. If you ask any parent that is involved at Stockwell Place, they will also sing it's praises.

Posted October 3, 2007

Stockwell is a tough school. I would rather my son go to the Haughton schools. It is hard to get him to go to school. There is more to it than being a Blue Ribbon school. Let them be kids.

Posted September 12, 2007

Stockwell is indeed run like a military academy. If I wanted my kids to go to an academy I would have sent them there. They don't let the kids have fun here. Yes it is a Blue Ribbon School, but at what cost? This school has it's ups and downs, but if you like this sort of thing, this will be a great school for you and your kids.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A67%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon School (2007)

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:00
School end time
  • 2:40
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school