PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I decided to send my child to NCS. Why? Unusual reason for sure! I was reading reviews on this site. I noticed the great reviews but it was a bad review that was highly critical of the school that caught my attention then sold me on NCS. . Lets see if I can remember a few: 1. Students have no rights 2. Dean says the teachers are always right 3. Holding kids accountable in general Obvious to me from the comments that this parent is among those where his/her kids are BFFs, hovered over them like helicopters, pampered them, feel their child should get the trophy for not finishing first, second, third or even last because everyone "deserves" a trophy, most likely has never required the child to do a single chore, feels their child is entitled and deserves, etc. etc. etc. Reading between the lines it seemed I found a school that does not kowtow and pander to parents but rather loves and corrects and cares to produce a strong, educated, disciplined children Reminded me of when I attend Catholic schools in New Orleans. My kind of place....hence, child in, child happy, parent is very happy and when my child comes home and tells me he couldn't eat because he didn't have his lanyard (Actually, I found out thats not true. They make them wait till everyone else with a lanyard is served then serve the lanyardless.), I say good for them, grow up son and be responsible and stop being a baby. I love this place.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I can only speak for lower elementary here. I've been around elementary school teachers most of my life, and opinions on homework vary. But I think in early years homework can be more a burden on parents and a frustration for small children. If they're working most of the day, they are typically pretty tired when they get home. Just my opinion, which is shared by a number of experienced elementary school teachers

Develops character: Agree

Honesty, integrity Absolutely. Fairness is a term that has no absolute definition and is bandied about with little thought in today's culture which promotes moral relativism and political correctness. The life and teachings of Jesus are of utmost importance. I'm not aware that "fairness" is a Biblical concept in the same sense as Honest and Integrity. If you teach your children at home to follow Christ. You'll like NCS.

My elementary school child has been at NCS since pre-school. We have consistently had a great experience. The teachers are not only qualified and dedicated, but also loving of the kids. A spirit of community and fellowship is actively promoted. Christian attitudes, values and behavior are fostered.

The administration has done a poor job at schedules, and this year has been all around chaotic. There are a few problematic teachers that at any other school would have been fired already. Every time students bring up the issues to the administration, nothing gets done. I have the feeling it is because in the words of our disciplinarian, "the teacher is always right." This makes them and the administration look infallible.They don't allow a student to eat if they have forgotten their lanyard, and in addition to not eating, they also have to clean up the lunch room and serve a Wednesday morning detention. This is outrageous for simply not having a lanyard, especially since they are not even necessary (there are only about 300 students in the high school). Might I also add that they had been enforcing the lanyard policy the whole year, even though the rule was not approved and added to the handbook until the second semester. The administration also randomly adds rules to the handbook and does not notify students of any of the changes. Yet, you are still responsible to know the randomly, newly added rules and will face consequences. Northlake has also become more concerned with the public view of the school than its own students. It monitors students, not to make sure they are living a Godly life style, but in the words of the principal, "to make sure what your posting is appropriately shaping our school to the community, since you are the face of Northlake." Two years ago, a girl and guy did some inappropriate things on the bus ride home from a field trip. When a Twitter account even tried to pot about what happened and how the administration had handled it, Northlake called Twitter and got the account temporarily shut down. This was another way Northlake was safeguarding its reputation instead of owning up to what had happened and moving on. Northlake basically can do what ever it wants and can even randomly expel students without any cause according to its handbook. They also can have a teacher of the same gender as the student strip search the student. I have never seen it happen, but of course, "they reserve the right." They basically reserve the right to do whatever they want when they want for any or no reason at all. They have no regard for student rights, and if you want your student to be treated with respect, I would choose another option.

Develops character: Disagree

They are not honest themselves and have many cover ups. It seems like a lot of things happen in the shadows and in secret.

My children have attended Northlake Christian School for eight years now, 2009-2015. Both have grown so much in their relationship to Christ, in confidence and character because of the wonderful staff. I have been particularly impressed with the way that difficult tasks, like writing research papers are broken down and repeated year after year. Every year the kids take on more responsibility for the total paper until they really know how to do it for themselves. I consider this essential for success in college later. There is also great support for struggling students. Neither of my students are great mathematicians. My son regularly takes advantage of free tutoring after school and both have always felt welcome to go see their teachers for help whenever they have needed it.

My children have both been at Northlake Christian since they were babies, starting out in the Early Learning Center. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with each teacher they have had each year, as well as the directors and principals of their respective grades (one is still in the ELC and one is in Elementary). Since the beginning of their time at Northlake, they have received and continue to receive a wonderful Christian education that is top notch and I continue to see them grow every day. They both love learning and that is because of the environment of their school and for that I am very thankful.

My husband and I wouldn't have our kids at any school in the area other than Northlake. We didn't make this decision lightly. We take our stewardship of our kids for the short time that they are kids seriously. I'm a Northlake Alum, but my husband grew up going to other private schools in the same area, and we both agree that Northlake is the place for our kids. They are in classes ideally sized for close friendships and lots of teacher attention. They have been academically challenged but not overwhelmed. Most importantly, they have been loved with the love of Christ through their teachers. I'm so thankful that we have NCS!

I would highly recommend Northlake Christian School to any family looking for a Christ-centered atmosphere where their children receive excellent education! Having graduated from NCS myself, I have experienced many years in the school family. My children have all attended since preschool and have grown up in the school. We absolutely love the environment and the fact that the teachers are dedicated and love the students placed in their care. The school has grown and changed over the years, but one thing remains the same: Jesus Christ is the center. Because of this, the school is dedicated to excellence in education, competitive athletics, and most importantly, the Word of God! I'm sad to read the negative reviews on this site and feel bad that they have not had the same experience that we have. Northlake is not perfect because no school is. However, it's home to us and we love it!

Last modified Northlake Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12