Bad
Good

Dutchtown High School 2

Posted February 28, 2016
The staff at this school has been wonderful. There are a lot of positives about the school. The building is new. The teachers are caring. The JROTC is awesome But having moved from out of state, the curriculum is terrible. My son has received 504 accommodations, and struggled for years to keep his grades above a C average. He now gets A's and B's with minimal effort. I look at his homework, and it seems like it's three to four grades behind what he was doing in his previous school district. I worry about how hard college will be for him, with this easier work.

Posted December 16, 2014
Exceptional school! It's obvious why it's number 1. My daughter's teachers are exceptional and she has thrived the past several years here because they constantly push her. It's a school WITH high expectations, but I know my daughter is thoroughly prepared for college and life beyond school.

Dutchtown High School 1

Posted December 11, 2014
When we first moved down to Louisiana from out of state i told my son that he would be going to one top schools in the state. after the first couple of of weeks he is begging us to send him back. the teachers at this school don't care if you learning they only care about themselves. this not with all the teachers but it is the majority. my son missed a week of school to finish moving are stuff down to are new house, so he missed many test and was giving no time to study for them. they said he should of been studying while he was gone, and one test he took they wont put a grade in for it to these day it says missing 0/100 which brought his A to a F. another things is that the school has 8 periods with no study hall. some days my son starts his homework at 4:00 pm and dose not get done until 1:00 in the morning. this schools leaves of its past glory so pleases do not send your kid here.

Posted September 10, 2014
MY DAUGHTER JUST STARTED AS A FRESHMAN AT DUTCHTOWN HIGH, SHE HAS SOME 504 ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO LEARNING DISABILITIES. I WAS EMAILED BY HER TEACHER THAT SHE WAS ONE OF THE HARDEST WORKING STUDENTS IN HER CLASS BUT FELT HER ACCOMMODATIONS NEEDED TO BE REVISED. I WAS WOWED AT THE OUTPOURING HEARTS FROM THE STAFF. THE PRINCIPLE, THE 504 ADMINISTRATOR, THE COUNSELOR AND ALL 4 CORE CLASS TEACHERS WERE WORKING TOGETHER AND DISCUSSING HER NEEDS, MY DAUGHTER WAS EVEN INVOLVED IN THE DISCUSSION!! SHE HAD TEACHERS WHO VOLUNTEERED TO TUTOR HER ONE ON ONE BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL, SOME VOLUNTEERED TO HELP IN OTHER SUBJECTS THAT WEREN'T THEIR AREA!! IF ANY ONE KNOWS THE STRUGGLES OF A STUDENT WHO STRIVES TO DO THEIR BEST BUT HAS LEARNING DISABILITIES ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE THEIR TEACHERS PROVIDING EXTRA HELP AND MAY I SAY I'M SO IMPRESSED AND SO WAS MY DAUGHTER!! A CHILD SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT BEHIND. AND DUTCHTOWN HIGH GOES BEYOND TO MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN! MY DAUGHTER AND I ARE VERY PLEASED! NOT TO MENTION THE HIGHEST RATED NON PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THE STATE FOR 2013 AND CONTINUES TO BE A TOP RANKED SCHOOL.

Dutchtown High School 2

Posted October 28, 2013
My school is very controlling and very much so on a power trip. Teachers are all looking for every little thing that they can write you up for and they do a very good job of making me feel like all I need to do is just get a good ATC score and then after they get their money from the ACT scores, they are right back to writing people up.

Posted August 22, 2013
I rate this school a ten. Great teachers, organized program, maintains discipline of student body, great athletic programs. Guidance for children is offered and very good. The children who come out of this school do well in college or tech programs. I love substituting at this school because the students are taught to respect and the staff will not allow misbehavior.

Posted August 17, 2013
I am currently a Junior attending Dutchtown High School in Geismar, Louisiana. I have been fairly surprised at the quality of the school thus far, this being my second year in Louisiana and tenth school since Kindergarten. Louisiana tends to have a bad reputation for education overall and, for the most part, Dutchtown does not fit the stereotype. Lets start with the drawbacks of the school. First of all, it is not as competitive as many schools in higher-achieving states. There tends to be only a handful of students per class who maintain a 3.8-4.0 Unweighted GPA in mostly AP courses. There is no auditorium. The administration often suffers from poor communication and organization. Now for the goods. Because of the scarcity of education, students who strive to learn are given special attention, this includes a fantastic Gifted Program. The teachers, especially in the AP and honors programs, are truly interested in the subject matter. There are large and thriving music and musical theater programs. The head counselor, Joni Murphy, is magnificent. English and the Life Sciences are far above par and overall the school provides an extremely practical education.

Dutchtown High School 4

Posted August 06, 2013
My Senior is about to start her last year here! And overall it's been a wonderful experience for her, and us as parents! Over the years she had a couple of incidents, that were handled effectively and efficiently. The school is academically one of the best in the state, and has an abundance of activities to be involved in! She has thrived in the Prairiev ille / Dutchtown school system...and that has everything to do with the quality of teachers, and of course her drive! Glad we moved here, and got the education we had hoped for. My only complaint is the school traffic. There needs to be a traffic light at the entrance, and fear it won't happen til there's a horrific accident!

Posted August 03, 2013
This is an excellent school. We moved here with our children 3 years ago. I have been nothing but impressed with administration, the teachers and students. My son is an honor student graduating this year. I could not be more proud that he is graduating from Dutchtown. The community is outstanding also. Very welcoming environment.

Posted June 16, 2013
As a teacher at Dutchtown High, it is disheartening to read some reviews of the school. Despite the teacher/administration/environment bashing, I take pride in being at a school that puts education on a pedestal and values all students' success. This school is consistently in the top 5 of test scores throughout the state, and our students move away and achieve great things. Complaints about HW are nothing more than a generational gripe about things being "too hard." The fact is, Dutchtown is both an unofficial college prep school AND a haven that fosters an appreciation for hard work. If only people knew what teachers and principals did outside of school, then perhaps misguided, flippant criticisms could be hushed. I am proud to be a part of such a great institution, and I am sincerely sorry if any parents or students found there time somehow wasted.

Dutchtown High School
13165 Louisiana 73, Geismar, LA  70734
Last modified Dutchtown High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.