Harvey, LA

Woodland West Elementary School 4

Posted August 02, 2013
My great granddaughter is a student at Woodland West now entering the first grade. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge she had acquired in Kindergarten. We were reading different articles and she was able to recognize and pronounce her words thru her phonics training. And this summer we were working on math skills in which she caught on very quickly. I attribute her learning ability to her teacher at Woodland West. Also, kudos to their principal, Ms. Hoyle.

Woodland West Elementary School 3

Posted October 29, 2012
Woodland West is a good school. My daughter has been attending K for 9 weeks. I am concerned about the lack of respect that students have for each other and the teachers. Parent involvement will help improve all aspects of the school.

Posted October 12, 2012
Woodland West really was one of the best schools on the Westbank back in the day I really hate to see how they fell off,the staff that's there now is just collecting a paycheck they seem to hate kids in my eyes.The principal does not have a clue about running a school nor does she care about those kids or the parents,I am taking my child out before its too late
2 people found this helpful

Woodland West Elementary School

Posted September 02, 2008
This is an wonderful school. They welcome all students and work with them so no child is left behind and no child is held back. This is just wonderful.

Posted December 04, 2006
So far I am very unsatisfied with this school their lunch program needs improvement and there should be more teacher parent involvement. I have asked repeatedly for assitance and so far have been ignored.

Posted April 07, 2005
I was very disappointed in this school; The Principal emphasized parental participation but is not willing to compromise when it comes to parent teacher conferences. (Set times are 10:00 am to 2:00 pm) I called several times to re-schedule a later time, but never received a return call (even from the district superintendent). I went to the spaghetti Dinner (started at 6:30pm) and was promptly told that it was not a parent teacher conference. Then she (principal)gave praise to the teachers for showing up and emphasized that the teachers were not getting paid for being there. My point; as a caring parent,why should I have to take leave-with-out pay just to meet with a teacher / principal that is not willing to make the same sacrifice.

Posted January 31, 2005
I have been involved with this school for more than 13 years. I feel if the parents are involved your child gets a better education , because they favor all who do for them ! My youngest is now attending and if not for my not knowing people from the past I think she would be stuck in the system. I have tried since kindergarten for her to be helped and without the help of ONE teacher after all this time she would have just been labeled lazy! Over all I rate this school a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 . It's just not for the children anymore . Most of the teachers are only there for a paycheck , a lot of them do not know how to interact with children. I hope new coming tearchers are more like our teachers years ago ! CARING!

Woodland West Elementary School 4

Posted January 20, 2005
I feel very confident having my student attend this school. She is hearing impaired, and the program and teachers there are helping her greatly. I like knowing that she is being taught in a speech and language atmosphere to help promote both forms of communication. I see and feel that they need more interpreters and teacher aides that use ASL. I have had problems with the cafeteria in that they do not properly communicate with parents about lunch fees before they withhold lunches from students and feed them cheese and bread. This upset me more because my daughter is hearing impaired and could not understand the situation. I hope that this can be resolved so that other children who depend on these healthy meals at school are not deprived because they can not afford the lunch fees.

Posted October 07, 2004
I am very saddened this year by this school. I do not think my child will be going back next year.

Posted May 07, 2004
Regret not having placed the kids in a private school. Lots of competent teachers leaving school because disciplinary problems with kids.

Woodland West Elementary School
2143 Mars Street, Harvey, LA  70058
Last modified Woodland West Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland West Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top