Chateau Estates Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 571 students

Posted June 14, 2014

PART 2 of 2: While there are worse school environments in the parish, Chateau's warmth comes from staff, not the leadership.Can't speak for next year b/c there will be so many new teachers,but quality of academics was good. It is just input from parents and students is not welcome. I never saw announcements when PTO meetings happened.I was never asked to be involved in planning the few PTO sponsored events that did occur. There doesn't seem to be community outreach at all. Except when they want us to sell something or donate. The last PTO VP left with her kids to go to the new charter school. Along with some other great kids and parents. I'm sure the parish funding is limited, but when I see teachers with pencil sharpeners that barely work and I'm asked to send in expo markers on my supply list, yet there are new banners being purchased about how great Chateau is...well I wonder. Sure the school scores have improved, but at what cost?

Posted June 14, 2014

PART 1 of 2: If it's test scores you care about only, great. But Chateau over the last few years has forgotten about education of the whole child in favor of academics. Mrs. Winkler has been principal since '10, and while she had a part in increasing scores, she's not welcoming to parents. So many of the fun events other reviewers spoke of are no longer done. The ones that remain are boring and haphazardly planned. you can tell the kids don't enjoy them the way they used to. There almost wasn't even a Kdg closing ceremony this year (through no fault of the wonderful K teachers)! It was finally decided it would be allowed the day before it occurred. So no sweet songs and decor this year. My kids were amazed when they saw the extra curriculars other schools have. There isn't even art/music/foreign language. And with them stuffing in 6-8th grades now, I can't see where there will be room. And my primary grade kids will share a bathroom with middle schoolers! There is a huge change in teachers this year. So many wonderful, caring teachers quit or retired this past two years. That is a concern for me.

Posted June 23, 2013

Chateau Estates is now a high performing school. We are rated A based on school performance scores. The teachers and principal are amazing.

Posted May 31, 2011

I ATTENDED CHATEAU ESTATES FOR K-5, AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I AM NOW 24 YEARS OLD AND WORK FOR THE FEDERAL GOVT. CHATEAU, ALTHOUGH AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, DID A LOT FOR ME CULTURALLY, EMOTIONALLY, AND ACADEMICALLY. IT TAUGHT ME HOW TO BE DIVERSE, CONSIDERING I WAS AMONGST A DIVERSE GROUP OF CHILDREN. I LIVED IN THE CHATEAU ESTATES AREA, AND I TRULY MISS IT.... THE GOOD OLE' DAYS. I WOULD RECCOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE. GREAT, CARING, EMPATHETIC TEACHERS. **SHOWTOUT TO MS. WOMACK-MY KINDERGARDEN TEACHER**

Posted February 8, 2011

I attended this school for second and third grade. The teachers are excellent. I now have owned my own company and am currently working as executive management in NYC because of the wonderful teachers like my 3rd grade math teacher Ms. Hinton who taught me to love Mathematics. I always remember the staff and wonderful memories from attending Chateau Estates.

Posted May 15, 2010

This school has done SO much for my child! He is Autistic and was lucky to be placed here! His teachers and aids have helped him so much that I feel like he's a different child. The school is also really good about teaching the other neurotypical children all about the special needs children creating a level of acceptance and inclusion. I don't feel like my son is alienated because of his condition, in fact I feel like the entire school (faculty, staff and student body) is supporting my son in his journey! This is an excellent school and I would recommend it to EVERYONE!

Posted April 21, 2010

I like this school because of the help the my children have gotten the years they when to this school. As a child I attended Chateau Estates Elementary School and loved it . The events they have through the school year for the kids is great and the way the school does the events are great.

Posted May 1, 2009

This is our first year at Chateau. We are so happy with the school. The Teachers and the rest of the staff are wonderful!!! We are so lucky to be a part of this school. Looking forward to many more great years.

Posted September 9, 2008

The school is great! The teachers always return calls concernining students. The principal is personal and both assistant principal and principal are always helping with dismisal of the children .

Posted June 25, 2008

The teachers are great with the kids. I have been very happy since day one with the school and teachers. Mrs Gauthreaux a huge asset to the school. The teachers from pre-K to 5th care about the kids and loves to teach. I am sad with the new zoning that my baby girl will not be able to attend Chateau.

Posted November 29, 2007

I think that Chateau Estates school is giving my children a great education. The teachers are very involved with teaching the children. The new principal is so great and involved. She even helped the cafateria staff serve The Thanksgiving Lunch the school put on for the children and parents. The PTO has and I'm sure will continue to do a wounderful job.

Posted November 15, 2007

My children attended this school last year. The education they recieved at this school was excelent . They were well prepared for the next grade and even ahead in most areas . I only wish I could say the same for the Parish I live in now.

Posted November 15, 2007

I love the school itself but the new principal and assistant principal are not as warm as I would have expected. The prinicipal in not as bad as her assistant but still in all very unpleasant.

Posted September 26, 2007

The school is great. Everyone from office staff to teachers make you feel welcomed and that you matter as a parent. My children love the school and the teachers. My only problem has been last year and this year the PTO. They are very controling and unwelcoming. You have to be in the 'click' to have fun helping them out.

Posted February 22, 2007

Overall the school is a good one though I have found that there is very little warmth shown by the teachers. I also believe some of the teachers of the lower grades needs help in class. A Kindergarten class has 24 students to 1 teacher and it seems as if the teachers are spread too thin with so many small children pulling her at once. As a parent of a student there I would like to see a little more positive influence from the teachers who are with my child 8 hours of the day.

Posted November 4, 2006

This is a great school. You always feel welcomed when you walk though the doors. The new principal is great. She shows she cares about the students, parents, staff, teachers and the school. The teachers are great and help the kids and parents as well. The involvement of parents has gone up this year because of the principal. The school has many projects they are working on to make the school a better school. I rate this school a 100%.

Posted September 15, 2005

a very good academic program. nice teachers and very nice building. the teachers make you feel like youare home

Posted August 18, 2005

Chateau is a wonderful school. Thye teachers are really positive and want to help the students.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 74%N/A67%

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Yvette Gauthreaux
Fax number
  • (504) 464-6819

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Playground
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4121 Medoc Drive