No rating

Our Lady Of Fatima School

Private | PK-8 | 914 students

Living in Lafayette

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $175,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted May 22, 2012

My wife and I have two proud graduates of Fatima, currently in pre med at LSU. Their GPA's are 3.5 (freshman) and 3.7 (junior). They each miss and thrived in the wonderful religious, exceptional academic and very athletic environment of Fatima. We now have a 2nd grader there. Many parents of Fatima and especially outside of Fatima, don't take advantage of, or even realize certain unique benefits such as, the ability to walk your children into school each day, eat lunch with them, visit their classrooms, The WONDERFUL DEC program, the fact the teachers are paid 90% of the public school salary attracts the best teachers, some of the lowest teacher / student ratios, etc. the exceptional athletics offered. I will end where I began...Also, the wonderful spiritual environment at Fatima is a true blessing. I highly recommend Fatima School.

Posted December 6, 2011

My son has been at Fatima for seven years and he has been VERY happy. I am an educator for Lafayette parish public schools and visited several private schools before making the decision to send my son to Fatima. Academically and spiritually Fatima offers the very best. He is a very intelligent student and every year his teachers have gone above and beyond to challenge him and keep him very interested in school. He has several friends and we have become great friends with many of the Fatima families. Everyone has always made us feel welcomed and special. We would not trade this wonderful educational experience!

Posted August 29, 2011

I have been a Fatima parent for 9 years and have felt overwhelmed by the clicks among other parents. Fatima is not so fond of embracing persons they view as outside the upper echelon of society. I witnessed many students of high profile parents getting passes while those of average folk are looked down on. I hope that my determination to stay the course does not affect my children adversely.

Posted August 18, 2011

I taught at Fatima, tutored for 6 years as well as send my children and we have had a wonderful experience. The academic part is consistent all the way from K - 8, and feel that my kids will be prepared for highschool both spiritually and academically. My son had one experience with bullying last year where he was the victim and the problem was solved immediately and admin. was very aggressive. The teachers all want to be there and have a genuine love for the kids. It's my kids' home away from home! Proud OLF parent!

Posted September 15, 2010

We love this school! Reports of extreme bullying are grossly exaggerated. When bullies start, they are expelled. Not surprising the expelled bullies would write negative reviews. Many negative comments about Fatima & Cathedral arise from ridiculously serious rivalry that goes back generations! At Fatima, my child has been nurtured and learned that school can be a kind place where teachers and fellow students help you, and regained his/her self-confidence. We left an Episcopal school because of severe! - and daily verbal bullying. My child was in a group with students who were supposed to help him/her. Instead, they called him/her "stupid" and "ugly" often, every single day. The Episcopal school's response? "It's only words - tell your 6 year old child to ignore it." At Fatima, teachers and administration have been consistently great in providing amazing assistance for my child, who does have a learning disability. We love this school!

Posted July 19, 2010

First, as many other people have posted, the bullies at this school are atrocious! MANY students throughout the school had this prob. The students were awful for substitute teachers, to the point where some subs would leave crying. Two boys shattered the all-glass doors and windows one year just b/c we had a substitute. The students knew their parents were rich and were mean to everyone else. I would cry to my momma not to make me go to school on most days. The teachers did NOTHING to discipline the bullies. Many teachers and students were afraid. The students, as several teachers described, were "evil."

Posted June 29, 2010

Both me and my cousins have not had good experiences with this school--and from everything I've seen from studying to be a teacher--there are a lot of public schools in Lafayette parish that do it better and care more. Bullying is a ridiculous problem and the teachers and staff are too complacent to stop it. If your child is struggling or above average, you'll generally be treated as a nuisance or that you're making it up. My cousin was failing and got expelled from Fatima, but now he's doing amazingly well at ESA and loves school. Fatima is too complacent with itself and other school are starting to leave it behind.

Posted January 29, 2010

I am very disappointed of what I have seen from fatima. This school has so many bullies that it would take me forever to count them. My son has been at fatima for about seven years, and he has not been happy. every year we always have a bullying problem. The kids at fatima are not normal. They are mostly all rich. I want my son to have a normal life. Thier were so many bullies thier that his friends were scared they would get picked on playing with him, so they didnt even play with him any more. They told that to him. If your thinking about sending your kid (kids) to fatima you are making a big mistake. My son loves the school he goes to now. The kids are so nice and helpful. Plus it is a pubic school. That is the real world.

Posted May 16, 2009

Im a student graduating this year. I've been at Fatima for eight years and the things I've learned will stay with me throughout my life. Not just the academics, but the life lessons that all the teachers try to teach to the students. The administration is great also. The only thing that is down is how everyone makes the rivalry between Fatima and Cathedral. The schools don't ever socialize because the younger students think that the kids from the other school are basically alien. Besides that, I'm glad my parents enrolled me in Fatima.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 21, 2009

Hate to say it but must agree with some of the other low reviews. If your child is above or below average it is not the place for them. The school is geared toward the average and has little flexibilty for anyone outside of that realm. Most teachers are above average but when they make mistakes the administration backs them regardless.

Posted November 1, 2008

Interesting comments by the parent that has children at Cathedral Carmel from November 24, 2005. The sports are not good at Fatima? This fall the football team was undefeated, the volleyball teams won the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade division titles, and the cross-country team won two out of the three middle school meets this season. Last year the boys won the baseball championship and the girls were 9-1 in softball and were co-champions of their league! Also the comment by the person who claims that people are leaving Fatima like crazy is also wrong. Last year they school ended the year with 908 students. This year they have 890 as of October 31. That accounts for only a 2% change in enrollment.

Posted October 10, 2008

We are nine year veterans of Fatima School, we have three children there and I have to agree with most of the positive as well as many of the negative reviews of the school. The campus is clean and bright, and some of the teachers are truely caring and dedicated. However, the academics are indeed below state standards, and if your child is either exceptionally bright or struggling to keep up the administration is utterly unwilling to help. The bright child is bored and frustrated, and there is absolutely no effort made by the school to provide any kind of enrichment. The only option is to have your child pulled out of Fatima a few days a week and sent over to the public school to participate in gifted services. On the other hand, if you have a child who is struggling, good luck.

Posted September 28, 2008

fatima is the best school ever when my daughter was new there everyone was so incredibly nice. but , recently we have had to leave the amazing parish of fatima and relocate to baton rouge and i can honestly say that the students teachers faculity and parents of fatima are all truly one of a kind.

Posted August 1, 2008

Great school!!!! The teachers here are like no other. You will not find a better staff anywhere else. The children are treated like they are the teacher's own children. My children love it there.

Posted January 15, 2008

I cannot say enough about the excellent education my children are receiving at Fatima. The teachers are excepting of ALL students and have gone out of their way to accommodate me and my children. Sports is important and encouraged but is not stressed to the point that students that do not play feel excluded. I believe the religious atmosphere of the school is fantastic. The DEC program is amazing for those in it as well as the entire school. I would highly recommend Fatima to anyone.

Posted January 11, 2008

I have read previous reviews and would discount the extremes. My guess is that the very low ratings were due to a personal issue and the stellar may be part of an unfortunate rivalry between Fatima and Cathedral Carmel. Anyway, Fatima, like all schools as an institutional learning facility cannot please everyone. Still, I have been very pleased with the messages conveyed to my children. I especailly like the DEC program that brings fully adapted and special needs children together. Both are enriched. I like the no-bullying policy that is taken very seriously. I like the continued instruction that everyone is gifted. I like the fact that the goal of its sports program is to have everyone participate. The emphasis is on playing the game, not winning the trophy. But of course there are exceptions. I am a public school product. Still, I feel my money is well spent at Fatima.

Posted August 15, 2007

Students are transferring out of Fatima like crazy. Once you get in you realize how bad it is. Academics are below state standards. Athletics are wonderful. But, why are you sending your child to school? The administration is condescending and passive to positive changes. If your child is average, doesn't in any way stand out of the crowd with his/her academic level behind or ahead of her class, and there is definitely No detection of a disability like ADHD, dyslexia, auditory or visual problems, this may be the school for you. If your child is slightly above average, extremely bright, or has any difficulty with any subject at any point, this is not the school for you. Exceptional children, in any way, are handled in a fumbling shaming manner. Something 'must' just be wrong with them. The parent involvement is more of a social clique, then true warmth. Spoken priorities are lipservice.

Posted September 18, 2006

Fatima is an amazing place to live and learn. The teachers at this school show how much they care about studehts everyday. The best thing about Fatima is the fact that religion is the number one subject at this school. I would suggest Fatima to anyone looking for a superior quality education for a Pre-K through 8th grade student.

Posted June 14, 2006

Fatima is excellent school academically and spiritually. I have one child who has graduated from Fatima and he is doing excellent in high school. He went to the academic rally this year at his high school and the majority of the children who went to academic rally at his high school came from Fatima even though there are five feeder schools to this high school including Fatima--that says a lot to me about Fatima preparing their children for HS. The Honors' program is great at Fatima--there are some Junior Highs in Lafayette who don't even have an Honors' program-- I believe the educational experience for my children, Honors or not, is the best to be had in our city's choices of private schools. The atmosphere is warm and genuine and the staff is great. The principal is moralistic and upstanding and the church is supportive.

Posted November 24, 2005

My chidren went to Fatima. The parents get good information about it, but my child say that they get a whole different message. The campus is not pretty, the sports are not good, and the alumni pull pranks on the school. My children now go to Cathedral Carmel School. It makes a big difference in there knoledge, physical activity, they've made new friends and they have been part of many clubs avalible there. I would never reccomend Our lady of Fatima.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (337) 235-1320

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Lafayette

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2315 Johnston Street