Lafayette, LA

Lafayette Middle School 4

Posted August 20, 2015
I am a 'teacher' at Lafayette Middle School. Though we do serve the rougher parts of town, this school is a wonderful place. We're currently cracking down on bad behavior and troublesome students. This is all thanks to the new principal. I have experienced nothing but positive things with the staff members. They're very eager to help and will almost do anything to see their students excel. Once you get past the rough outside and really get to the heart of this school, you'll realize that it's a good place to be.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 20, 2015
Each student receives about 10 minutes of homework for each subject and 30 minutes of independent reading.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 20, 2015
Students are being taught to say thank you, yes ma'am (sir), no ma'am (sir). Teachers are really cracking down on that this year. If a teacher gives a student something and the student does not say "thank you" within 5-10 seconds, the teacher will take it back.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 20, 2015
The new principal, Mrs. Allison, is really cracking down on bad behavior and habits. There are many rewards for good behavior. For example, every Friday, all of the good students get to participate in 'fun day'. They plan something fun (i.e. throwing water balloons at the teachers, relay races, bubble gum chewing contests...) that the students can participate in. Every 9 weeks, there is a field trip that the behaved students get to go on and at the end of the year, the students get to go to Blue Bayou. There are MANY rewards for good behavior. There are also many punishment for the bad behaved kids. We do lunch with the principal where the students are not allowed to talk or socialize. There is a 'time out' room where the students will sit quietly and receive a written punishment. Of course, there's suspension and expulsion, and last but not least, the students don't get to participate in any field trips or fun day. All of this, in my opinion, is pushing for a better school and more structure in these kid's lives.

Lafayette Middle School 5

Posted December 28, 2012
my daughter goes to this school and loves it , she has awsome hands on teachers. She really likes the enviormental teacher and has learned so much @ this school. She loves it at this school, I cant wait for my son to go to this school!!!!!! Teachers are very involved with parents and kids <3

Lafayette Middle School 2

Posted July 22, 2010
I went to this school in the late ,50's, was ok, got my drivers' licence there, walked from Brookside Dr to this shool. Don't remember any of the teachers, but the principle there was feared and he took over a class that I took one summer.

Lafayette Middle School 2

Posted June 01, 2009
I attended Lafayette Middle School for my 6th and 7th grade years of junior high. I agree that there were too many fights that took place. The teachers hardly disciplined any of the students, and although I wasn't much of a troublemaker, I acknowledged what was going on around me and was amazed at what students were able to get away with. However, I have to say that their Science Department seem to be somewhat dedicated to doing their job. I did learn alot in the science classes I took. And the trip to Grand Isle, my 7th grade year, was awesome, however could have been more informing by being incorporated into a cirriculum. This school has ALOT of room for improvement.

Lafayette Middle School 1

Posted March 27, 2008
My daughter has been going to this school for 2 yrs now. In my experience, the teachers are no help. The staff is seriouisly lacking in disciplinary qualities. There are entirely too many fights, and not enough learning going on at this school. If you have a choice, do not send your child to this school!

Lafayette Middle School 4

Posted December 30, 2006
I myself and my brother went to this school and I believe this is a great school myself. Exspecially their are some wonderful people on staff when i was there our most favorite was Ms.C.Dean 7th grade English teacher. We love you Ms. Dean!

1301 West University Avenue, Lafayette, LA  70506
Last modified Lafayette Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 4-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lafayette Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top