Bad
Good

Myrtle Place Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2014
I moved here before the beginning of the 2013 school year. So I have one year under my belt. Also have two kids that are a year apart. 4 and 5th graders. I seriously believe that this school lacks everything, but have high hopes for this new principal. Anyone would be better than the last. But looking at the shambles of schools in the Lafayette area I can honestly say theres worse schools. This is a better option than most. And people quit putting your kids in private schools. Theyre no better.

Posted April 30, 2014
i have very mixed feelings about this school, i believe the office staff is helpful, i enjoy the teacher however its just a mess of ratio with students. the students my child has come in contact with in his class need some serious disipline! My childs behavior went from good to horrible in just a few months of him being at this school. Unless your child is going to attend the french emersion, i would not concider this school. I cant wait till the end of the year to get my child out of there!!!!!!!

Myrtle Place Elementary School 4

Posted May 09, 2012
Please remember, this is a public site, so some information will be accurate and some will be wrong. A parent wrote that "there are no field trips after 2nd grade." That just isn't true. For one thing every 4th grade child in the Parish goes to Acadiana Nature Center and Myrtle Place kids are no exception. Myrtle is small, the teachers are very good, very little staff turnover, you can tell that the staff is dedicated. My two children have had excellent experiences there, as well as some discipline issues were which handled acceptably well. Not all teachers are a perfect fit for each child, but overall the staff is good and that goes a long way toward making a good school. The French Immersion program is very good. The PACE art program provides art for K-2.

Posted August 11, 2011
I can only speak from experience about my own child and the French Immersion program. We've been very happy with every teacher and with the principal. There is a lot of homework, but my son learns; isn't that the purpose of school? Others on this forum have complained about 20 minute lunches, two 10-minute recesses, and only one Parent-Teacher Conference Day. This is true of every elementary school in this parish. If parents wish for more conferences, they need only schedule them with the teachers; we have, it was easy. As for the lack of a PTA, blame the parents. PTAs can only exist when enough parents participate. On a forum such as this, there will be a mixture of high and low ratings. A satisfied parent will likely give a high score, of course. However, it's good to remember that low scores can result from dissatisfaction with a school, or from a parent with a personal issue. I'm sure there are problems with this school, but in 5 years, we've had nothing but good, caring experiences. My son, who is reading over my shoulder, agrees.

Posted July 13, 2011
I will be (hopefully) moving my child to a different school. She was bullied by a classmate and the teachers told me that she must be lying about the situation. There is no PTA. The field-trips stop once they get to 2nd grade. They get only 20 minutes for lunch and two 10 minute recesses a day. (2nd grade) They do not have Christmas Programs or Programs/plays of any kind other than the end of the year awards. We only had 1 parent/teacher conference per year whereas other schools in the parish have 2.

Posted August 12, 2009
My 2 daughter's have done incredibly well in this school's french immersion program.I would recommend the program and the school to anyone.The principal is strict,but fair...she let's the kids and parents know what she expects and communicates openly.

Posted July 27, 2009
The faculty does not address issues when they arise. My daughter was bullied repeatedly, and noone did anything about it. The ONLY thing good I have to say about this school is Ms. Prejean (2nd grade teacher), and she retired this year. I am removing my daughter from this school, and she couldn't be happier about it! There's no PTA, in fact, they act as if parents are a BURDEN to them...I would advise you find a different elementary school to put your child in...this was 3 years in the making. Sad really.

Myrtle Place Elementary School 3

Posted January 28, 2009
Both of my girls have done well at Myrtle Place. I don't think the principal has the children or Myrtle Place as a top priority. There have been lots of issues with teachers & children misbehaving and it seems they are all hush-hush so it gets dropped. I don't feel they handle problems with the school, teachers or the children very well. We don't even have a PTA, why????? The playground is so old, why not improve the school?

Myrtle Place Elementary School 1

Posted August 23, 2007
The teachers at Myrtle place are adequate at best, and the principal would be better served in a military environment. The staff prefers for parents not to be involved at school, only at home while your second grader is tackling the two hours of homework they send home. We will be moving our children. Its a shame that such a great program like French Immersion isn't in a better environment.

Posted August 26, 2003
My son is in the French Immersion Program at this school and I would highly recommend it to any parent. This is the 3rd year he has attended Myrtle Place and I have been very pleased so far. His class size is unbelievable, 12 students, I don't know of any other schools, including the French Immersion, that would have this. Teachers and Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Myrtle Place Elementary School
Lafayette Street, Lafayette, LA  70506
Last modified Myrtle Place Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.