Sam Houston High School

Public | 8-12

Posted December 3, 2013

I just graduated from SHHS recently. I graduated with a 3.8 not because I worked hard, but because the coursework was so easy. My older brother graduated with a 3.5 and did none of his homework. He aced every test to make up his grade. They WILL NOT prepare students for college. They are too busy babying them so that they can all graduate with honors. Here's some stats: Summa Cum Laude = 3.9 and above = 44 SHHS grads of 2013 Magna Cum Laude = 3.75 - 3.89 = 21 SHHS 2013 grads of 2013 Cum Laude = 3.5 - 3.74 = around 30 SHHS grads of 2013 Graduating class of about 275 If this is how many people can graduate with honors (especially with a 4.0), then what does that say about the grading expectations. If for some odd reason you decide to send your child to this glorified institute, DO NOT trust their report card to tell you if they are college ready.

Posted April 25, 2012

Went to school here in the early 80's as a junior. I was given work that I had studied in 6th grade! Hope this school has improved since then.

Posted December 10, 2011

The students are extremely ill-behaved and instead of dealing with the students for fighting or being offensive, the teachers instead write them up because they aren't wearing purple lanyards or they're jackets are zipped in the middle instead of all the way up or down. In one class, the teacher let her students grade their own paper then tell her what they made, most of the students lying because they had no idea what they were doing and the teacher refused to explain the problems when asked. "Teaching" means, in some classes, simply reading out of the text books to the students, not really knowing what to do. There are plenty of kids who will proudly tell you about how high they are, how many months till their baby is due, or how they made the French teacher cry. If this is your cup of tea, then by all means, send you kid here to learn how to be a drag on society! In short, no discipline, misplaced rules, and minimal teaching standards. This place is terrible

Posted November 27, 2011

What more can you get out of a public school? They have lots of options for all kids. As for drugs, they are everywhere. Teach your kids right and hope they make the right decision. No complaints at SHHS so far!

Posted July 4, 2009

This school is thoroughly unacceptable. Although I only attended for a few months, as an outsider I had a clear view of the terrible aspects. An excessive amount of classtime is used just with teachers punishing dress code infractions, a system I find ridiclous for this reason: I assume the school has their resons for being uniform. What these reasons are is unimportant, because it is permitted to wear jeans on Fridays. If these rules do not hold true on Fridays, then they cannot be considered valid for the rest of the week. Next issue: ridiclous classes. In the majority of my classes, we either were given very little work, busy work, or the teacher intended to give work but spent the classtime bickering instead. Hint to adminastrators; If you treat students as young adults vs. as inmates, they will behave in a mix of respect and maturity/ independance.

Posted January 19, 2009

I think this school is in the top3 in the parish; I am a college student now and wish my whole school career could have been as good as my high school years at Sam Houston.

Posted August 16, 2007

I am a college student who graduated from this high school. I must say that I was well prepared for college thanks to the teachers at Sam Houston.

Posted May 29, 2007

I currently attend sam houston (class of 2009), and I personally think that it is a great school with good teachers and a good environment....Not to mention great sports. Go broncos!

Posted February 19, 2007

This school is not perfect, but no school is. The teachers care a lot about the students, but they do not get much parental support. I did my student teaching semester at SHHS, and I thought there were some pretty amazing students and teachers at this school. There are much worse out there. I know b/c I am teaching at one that is much worse. Go Broncos!

Posted January 28, 2007

I feel that some of the previous reviews may be misleading to an outsider. Naturally, it is best if a student would describe the quality of the school now, not before, and from the perspective of a person who actually attends the school, not a parent. I am a junior at Sam Houston High, class of 2008, and I believe that it is one of the best high schools around. Our teachers, for the most part, are very involved with the students and are eager to help. We have varied degrees of classes ranging from AP for college credit to SPARK to honors to T&I technical to regular. Because of this variety, it makes it hard for a student concerned about his/her classes NOT to get a good education. Our extracurriculars are lacking outside of sports, but, overall, Sam Houston is a wonderful school!

Posted October 7, 2005

I was in SHHS c/o 2002. I don't understand why people think that it is 'so bad'. The comment about the drugs being sold everyday and every kind is not true. My little brother is a sophmore and if it was really that bad I'd be the one to tell my dad not to let him go there. The teachers aren't always in the best mood but then again you deal with what we put them through on the daily basis and see what you'd be doing. And honestly, I don't think there is anyone that has ever been perfect in school. Over all I don't think you can find a better place to send your children, or find teachers that care as much as the ones at

Posted October 7, 2005

I am a former student at Sam Houston c/o 2004. I would like to address a previous review, written by an unhappy parent. When I was in high school I did nothing but complain about it. Now that I have graduated, and matured a little bit, I see that it was all for my own good. It is a complete exageration to say that the teachers and faculty are only worried about the dress code and that drugs run rampid. Drugs are by no means everywhere you look. Those of us who went to school here would know this before someone who is simply an outsider looking in. Also, moving to find a better school...okay, good luck. Have you looked at our amazing test scores lately? Not to mention the fact that we have amazing teachers.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 24, 2005

My personal opinion of this school is VERY LOW! They are more concerned about writing the students up for uniform violations than they are about providing a proper education. The school is over-run with drugs. There is just about any kind of drug available for purchase on any day! From marajuania to valium pills. We are in the process of relocating our family in order for our children to attend another school. Also, the teachers and other school officals curse on a daily basis at the students and to the students. This IS NOT the ENVIRONMENT OUR CHILDREN NEED TO BE IN.

Posted February 19, 2005

I am a teacher at this school and would love to address the concerns of the person who wrote the first review. The problem is I can't get them to spend the time it would take to come and get first hand accounts of what is going on. If some parents took 15 minutes to come visit, check students clothing before they left home, and backed the teachers dealing with 25 OR MORE per class! maybe they would feel different. The 'pagans' are simply nonconformist teens being led by nonconformist parents that maintained aspects of adolescent psychology; black nail polish and anarchist symbols does not make a religion. When their precious babies get into the workforce, they will have an even harder time with dress codes and behavior governing rules. We must work together to fix the small problems we have; not live vicariously through our children. God bless.

Posted January 27, 2005

Parent involvement has to do with the students in the 'popular' extracurricular activities. Academics are not what they can be by far in my opinion. The administration spends to much time worrying about the dress code. A teacher takes out around 10-15 min every period to check that students are following the dress code to the 'T.' There is a group of pagans and other lesser known religions that attend this school, and are constantly messed with. Some of the students more then others. The teachers hardly have a chance to teach and the principal and vice-principals spend to much time worrying about the dress code and the sport teams to care about anything else. But hey this is all what I think as a current student attending this school.

Posted November 9, 2003

Sam Houston High School is a very good school to go to. The teachers are nice and most of them make learning fun. I graduated c/o 2003 so im speaking from experience of being there four years.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

328 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

328 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

880 Sam Houston Jones Parkway