Lake Charles, LA

Posted July 15, 2013
This school is very overcrowded. It went from 700+ to 900+ within 2 years. And that 16 kids per teacher thing is not true. Now, its more like 24 students per class from grades Kindergarten to 4th grade. Each of those grades have 6 teachers in them now. Once they get to 5th grade, the number of teachers drop to 5 and the classes are crowded with 29-32 students per class. That's too many for an elementary school. I don't understand why they don't hire a sixth teacher like the rest of the grades. Its been that way for 2-3 years now and it angers me. I hope they get another teacher so those students don't have to be cramped into those small classrooms like that. I've had family members who have attended the school and complained about the overcrowded situation. I attended Nelson Elementary which has about 680-720 students, but the classes were always 18-25 students. And if it exceeded that, they applied for a Federal Position teacher to come in so the classes weren't as full. That would bring the classes from 27-29 to 23-24 and in some cases lower. The education is okay though..

Posted May 02, 2013
My children attended St. John, and had great success. I think on the other hand that if you have any professional duties at this school as a adult, it depends on who you are and what you can get done. The door is not always open for everyone. I hope in the future it gets better.

Posted April 04, 2011
St. John is a great school with the exception of some teacher who does not want "bussed" students at the school. A child will be easily targeted by the staff with the support of the administrative staff. If you want your child to get a good education please stay on top of everything. Do not believe want is being fed, conduct your own investigation and if need be contact an attorney.

St. John Elementary School

Posted August 30, 2007
Best of luck if you decide to send your child to this school. They will not get a great education. You will be kept n the dark about alot of things that will go on.

Posted August 30, 2007
So far everthing with this school has gone wonderfuly. St.John is great!

Posted March 17, 2006
St.John is a wonderful school for our children to learn and grow both in academic and in personal growth. The teachers are very helpful and willing to work with your child. We are blessed to have such an outstanding school in Calcasieu Parish. Kendrea Terrell

Posted February 23, 2004
I am very grateful to the principal and teachers at St. John for giving my child every opportunity possible. He has given them a run for their money; but they have not let that discourage them or me; they have given me hope, strength, and courage that he will achieve success. Mrs. Parson (principal) is a very kind, warm, caring person. Her office is always open to anyone who needs her. And the teachers go beyond the call of duty to help their students and the parents. I love St. John and any child would be lucky to attend there.

Posted February 22, 2004
My 2 children had such a good experience at St. John. I am always bragging on the school and teachers and Mrs. Parsons!

St. John Elementary School
5566 Elliott Road, Lake Charles, LA  70605
Last modified St. John Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
St. John Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top