Lake Charles, LA

Washington/Marion Magnet High School 1

Posted October 16, 2013
Ghetto is this schools middle name I walked in and the 1st thing II here is cursing from kids as I left a child was hanging his head out the top floor classroom window it looks like a detention facility rather than a place of education.

Posted August 27, 2012
My granddaughter went to Washington-Marion and I support the school. The teacher sometimes can be very difficult especially one (not mention her name) but the school has potential to be the best in town. The new principal was very understanding when it came to listening to both the teacher and the student and he did not take any size, but he made the last decision. She graduated 2010-2011 and guess what the school had a little over a million dollars in academic scholarships. What other schools in the Lake Charles area did that. I am a 1976 graduate of Washington Sr. High before combining the schools.

Posted April 28, 2009
Washington have great extra classes such as cosmotoligy,and parent ED it canget students ready for a child if wanted.

Posted March 13, 2006
Washington Marion is a wonderful school. I have had all of my three children to attend this school, and the last is to graduate on next year. I feel that the teachers has improved on the way that they are helping the children. I would have not chosen any other school for my children to attend. There have been times where I moved to another district, But my children remained at Washington Marion. I was a student at Lake charles Boston, and I was determined that my children would not attend that school. We talk about academics, Washington Marion has the best academics in our area. We should get together and support our school so that they can continue to get better. There is no perfect school, but Washington Marion is the best. Thank you Sheryl

Washington/Marion Magnet High School 2

Posted September 24, 2005
WMHS is very weak in academics and in the performing arts, but that doesn't seem to matter to most of the kids in attendance there. Sports and Band are of primary interest to them. I was very disappointed, as a parent of 2 which attended the school, in the lack of interest that many of the teachers portrayed. We sent our kids there so they could take pride in the 'black school experience'. I only wish that academics had been more stressed.

Washington/Marion Magnet High School 4

Posted August 03, 2004
- a former student

Posted July 18, 2004
- a former student
Let me begin by saying that I am not a parent of a child attending this school, but I am a 1994 graduate of it. This school is an excellent school. The teachers there are caring and show much concern in the students. This is an educational institution that has potnetial soaring from it. Sure, all schools have teachers that may seem disrespectful, but you must understand that these men and women have a job to do, and if you as parents can't support them on the decisions they make to better their teaching surroundings, then you are a burden to the cause. This school has a reputation for providing excellent educational services to the students and also providing services to the community. Keep up the good work Chargin Indians!

Posted April 04, 2004
Washington Marion has great potential.They are capable of becoming a great school and overcoming anything.The only thing about Washington Marion is that the teachers don't really teach like talking about.They can be disrespectful.That is why some of the students act up.But other than that from my experience and seeing whats been going on is that it is a wonderful school.I would send my child there before any other school.Washinton Marion is my first choice for all of my children.The band is very wonderful so I give Nathan Haymer his props for making the band one of the best bands ever.If the teachers do their job and the students act well there test scores would shoot up like any other school.Mrs. Miller is the kindest lady.She helps the teachers and the students with their problesms.In athletics, they are very talented.They have some talented kids go there.They are capable of the best.

Washington/Marion Magnet High School 3

Posted March 26, 2004
I think that Washington-Marion has great potential to be a great school, however, the teacher morale is low and thats due to inconsistency of the administration and low parental involvement in academic affairs. Washington-Marion has tremendous support in athletics, but not academics. The band department at Washington-Marion is one of the best in the state. The Director has really made some musical improvements in the past couple of years. The school needs a lot of touch-ups to make it a better learning enviroment.

Posted August 26, 2003
I feel Washington-Marion Magnet High School was a good choice for my son to attend, there is Honors and advanced placement classes offered. My son excelled in both. My only problem was S.P.A.R.K.(a program for gifted students). At Wash-Marion it is only one class-acclerated English. My concern is that Math and science should have also been included. I also think there should be more emphasis placed on AP test Preparation. I feel Wash-Marion is a great school with a band that has a good reputation for hard work. The band's booster club has very involved parents, who meet every week and work all year to raise funds to support the band. I would and do recommend my alma mater to any parent. I feel if the principal or something could energize the parents to get involved the school would be a good experience for every student, not just the honor students. Actually I realize it's not the principal's job to make parents involved, they should already be involved in making their child's school years profitable, and then the school's test scores would improve, one can't be achieved without the other. Thanks.

Washington/Marion Magnet High School
2802 Pineview Street, Lake Charles, LA  70601
Last modified Washington/Marion Magnet High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington/Marion Magnet High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top