Leesville High School

Public | 9-12 | 860 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 17, 2012

My husband and I both graduated from LHS (He is C/O 98, I'm C/O 00) and we have purposely avoided being stationed at Fort Polk because we do not want either of our children going through Vernon Parish Schools. Mine was the last class to graduate before the uniforms so I'm not at all familiar with how that is dealt with. Even back then the classes that were taught by coaches were mostly a joke. I learned how to play spades in Health class my sophomore year. I don't feel I received a quality education at LHS and I would urge parents to reconsider sending their children to this school.

Posted May 23, 2010

Leesville High School is not a place you want your bright, gifted students to attend. There is one gifted class, very few AP classes. The only truly QUALIFIED gifted teacher is leaving, and they still have not found a replacement. This parish apparently feels that if your child is gifted, they should just do more work. They need quality, not quantitity. Shouldn't they be trying to develop and encourage the bright students? After all, THESE are the young people who are going to be leaders in our communities.

Posted May 3, 2010

the teachers are great and they really make sure that the student understands the material before moving on. they take time to work with individuals and with the help of the new freshman and sophmore academys, they ensure that no child is left befind and have various rewards for them such as breakfasts on fridays and special highlights of their success in school. the school puts the homework and classwork for the classes on screen so that the students know what they have to do for that week. i love it and i am a huge leesville wampus cats fan. woo

Posted May 1, 2010

My experience with this school and it's school board was terrible. If you have a child with any learning problems etc..RUN. Do not merely walk away from this place. My daughter has ADHD with autistic tendences. She was diagnoes several years ago and is in the process of retesting. Does it matter? Not one iota. The school board can not remember the outcome of the previous school board meeting to the next. They will again look straight at your child..and ask the same stupid question they already hashed out at the last meeting. Where apparantly..nothing was accomplished. You are expected just to make your child conform. Whether or not they have the ability. :(

Posted December 5, 2009

I liked the school, because it was fun.

Posted September 6, 2009

My daughter attends Leesville High school, after I was recently stationed at Ft Polk. This school is over a year behind her last school academically. The staff is obsessed with the dress code, to the extent that education suffers because of it. Leesville is also much more expensive than her last high school, as they require parents to pay for much of what is usually provided by the school.

Posted May 13, 2009

Okay well I just recently moved away and i miss it. Yea dress code is really stupid and Mrs. Davis does enforce it way to much but the teachers are great you have a great opportunity to learn the teachers have great teaching skills and are very helpful and unique the football and basketball team was great. its almost an all around great school.

Posted March 15, 2009

The aministration is more worried about dress code than our education. The school would be better if they would focus more on our education.

Posted January 28, 2009

My 1st review of LHS was blocked because I was too negative. I will try this again. LHS has enforced the uniform dress code to the limits this year. A letter was sent home with the students prior to the winter break advising parents that what had been allowed for the past 3 years would no longer be accepted. If this site administrator would like a copy of the letter I would happy to provide it to you so you can have proof. The only fault with LHS is that the new prinicipal has become obssed over the dress code. Schools should spend more time teaching and disicpling behavioral problems instead of dress code issues.

Posted March 11, 2008

Very poor teacher/admin response to questions.The teachers apparently think they are there for themselves and do not insure the students are taught to staandards. Treat military children like they do not belong there. This school and the surrounding community are very racial and bias.

Posted January 30, 2007

I can only say that I am in my senior year at LHS, and basically the people who have left comments have gotten it right. Unless you play football, basketball, or baseball for the school you get shafted. The administrators will tell you that there are countless programs for students to become involved in. Unfortunately for the students, half of those programs don't get the funding from the shool that they need to be a success. I,myself, am a student-athlete, but unfortunately I don't play in the three sports that this school funds. In addition, as far as the dress code goes, more students get sent home for what they are wearing or because they have a cell phone than the students who stay and may or may not get a quality education depending on the teacher.

Posted November 4, 2005

As a parent and teacher I would just like to say you get what you put into your school system just like your life. When parents do not back you up and do not expect respect at home, then the student will not respect theirselves or anyone else. The maturity level of the student (this does not include all) body has decreased, therefore it is harder to teach those who disregard a lesson and would rather play. I say if you do not like the way things are run, then you need to attend a class and see why. I have never been disappointed when I go to a meeting with a teacher or administrative personnal. Most of the people who complain do not attend open-houses or disregard a meeting with the teacher when called. Don't just talk, do something and see the whole picture.

Posted October 25, 2005

I think LHS was the best school. I have freinds and family that have gone there and is still going there. They have awesome sports and great teachers. If I could go back to Louisiana and go to LHS, I would. Thanks Couch Melton and Couch Mills for being great swimm couches.*Join the Swim Team at LHS! They rock!

Posted October 15, 2005

I graduated in 1998 I would have to say that Leesville was an average school. It wasn't the best and it definately wasn't the worst. The teachers were always really good, a student could talk to a teacher if they had a problem and even the 'football coaches' made us learn not about football, baseball or any sports for that matter. Parent Involvement is encouraged at any school, so what makes Leesville so different? You don't have to be a booster to be involved with the school. I would definately have to say that the discipline was more strict after I graduated. The student had to wear uniforms due to the Leesville and Ft. Polk students not getting along and displaying gang colors not only on the streets but also in school. Thanks Col. McCloud, 1st Sgt. Babineaux, Mrs. Williams, and Lisa Deen for being great teachers.

Posted September 30, 2005

I have to say that LHS is not one of the best schools that I have attended. I graduated in 2004. Your senior year is supposed to be one of the best years of your life. The attendance rate at LHS is so low. And they wonder why? Its because they make us hate school, they took away all of our school spirit, made of wear uniforms, what did we have to be motivated about. We couldn't even cheer at our senior awards ceremony or graduation. Its terrible. After I graduated I had to come back to the school to get some papers signed and I wasn't wearing my uniform they told me I had to come back in my uniform. I had already graduated!

Posted August 29, 2005

I have to disagree with the opinion that non-athletes gain no recognition at LHS. That is completely false, although it does help. If you are truly academically succesful, you will be noticed as well, as there is more to a school report card than a few district titles. I never played a sport at Leesville, but still was widely recognized. In fact, because everyone is so focused on sports, it is that much easier to distinguish yourself academically if you remotely try. As far as Vernon parish goes, Leesville is hands down the best, though that isn't saying much. I left after my sophomore year to go to the nearby Louisiana School for Math, Sciences, and Arts which is far more focused academically. Few teachers at Leesville are dedicated, and the rules are oppressive. It can get very boring and depressing, but the theatre program and certain extra-curriculars are good.

Posted May 9, 2005

I graduated in 2004, and they are right. It is a sport school. But unless you play football, baseball, or basketball you get no recognition. I did track and cross country, and was pretty good, but didn't get any recognition. The dress codes are more important than grades. I got in trouble for my shirt being untucked and got sent home, getting sent home doesn't help me learn. There are great teachers, Mr. Hollis, Mrs. Cole, Mr Correl, Mr. D., Mrs Andrews, Mrs Coney, Col McCloud, 1SG Babineaux, but other than that it's really nothing but basketball, baseball, and football, and the students who's parents own Leesville.

Posted April 18, 2005

I graduated from Leesville High School not too long ago. The quality of the teaching is poor. The reviews that I have read were all right. Teachers in that school do not want to teach. They want to coach. A few teachers should be there, but most should not. As for sports, if you do not play football, basketball, or baseball, you can forget about any recognition. Soccer, volleyball, cross country, or swimming pretty much get the shaft when it comes to funding. Which is sad considering there are more soccer players at academic banquets than all other sports combined. Fair? I think not.

Posted March 21, 2005

leesville high school is in my opinion the best high school in vernon parish. the honors courses avialable to my son can not be found at any other high school in the parish. I am very pleased with the administration, I find them very easy to work with when dealing with my son. we are a military family and seen many school systems. this systems ranks as one of the best.

Posted March 16, 2005

My daughter has been a student at LHS for two years. Based on the quality of academic study she has experienced, I only hope she has not lost too much brain power to be a successful student at the new school she will attend this fall. My daughter is an above average student, A-B honor roll, taking a college prep curriculum. In previous schools she has needed to study each night on at least one subject--here at LHS, she seldom brings her books home. She has learned more about meeting dress codes, having classmates who are teen parents, supporting sports teams, and about avoiding front office adminstrators with a single-minded devotion to rule conforming than any academic subject. Parents are not encouraged to be active in the classroom, but are always welcomed to be 'boosters' for the sports/extracurricular programs. If I could change history, I would chosen her school differently.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

251 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

251 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian 2% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A66%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

502 Berry Drive