Posted April 28, 2014
We are a military family who just moved here. So far our 3rd Grader loves the school and comes home always talking about the staff & teachers talking to her, engaging in conversation. But after many reviews of other schools, we were very pleased with Pickering Elementary School. We like that everyone at the school is talkative and very nice.

Pickering Elementary School 5

Posted October 08, 2013
Pickering is a good school but my child didn't like his last teacher Mrs.sanders p.s. she's mean I mean if she was more polite she would be liked my child liked her a little more like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003% shes very mean but I like her cause thats stone cold discipline to think she's a very good role model

Posted January 08, 2013
This is an ok school. I have two children in this school (grades 3 and 5). I think with a little work this could be a very good school, but there is no way I'm letting my kids go to high school here.

Pickering Elementary School 3

Posted August 08, 2011
The staff have been wonderful, the administration personnel are fantastic. The discipline in the school is top notch. The people there are great, but they have some pretty tough working conditions. The school is in a horrible location, right next to busy railroad tracks which is distracting and causes concerns for safety. The building is old and dilapidated, the technology is mediocre. Large amount of children in small classrooms. Average 26 kids per class in the lower grades with one teacher. I really wish the students and staff of PES had a facility they could be proud of. The bus system is a NIGHTMARE. They are overcrowded, older and younger kids all ride together and there is little to no discipline. Due to my work schedule my children have no choice but to ride the bus. They get off the bus, wet with sweat after an hour long ride with no AC, then they tell me horror stories about kids fighting, making out, stealing from others, swearing. They have been dropped off at the wrong house before. Mr. Ducote was sincerely apologetic for the bus issues, but they are out of his control. I almost quit my job last year to be able to take them to school myself, it got that bad.

Pickering Elementary School 1

Posted May 26, 2011
My kids have gone to this school for the 2yrs we've been stationed here at Polk & while there have always been issues,yesterday was my breaking point.My child was paddled even tho we have a signed no paddle in our file! The teacher admitted she did not even check in our file to see if it was "allowed" or not,nor did she apologize. We pulled all 3 of our kids from that school immediately & they will NOT be going back! I think it is horrible that CP is still used & that a place we send our kids the majority of their childhood,they cannot feel safe. I am beyond sickened & saddened and we will take appropriate action to ensure this ends! You are better off homeschooling your kids if you have to be stationed here. Do not put them in the schools here,the education is severly lacking & obviously the care is just as bad!

Pickering Elementary School 3

Posted September 29, 2010
I have been trying to find out what happened to this school! Well I figured it out - New principal. Then, I found out Mrs. Atkins left. I thought that our family would give the new principals time to adjust. Then, I discovered that this man (the principal) has been there for like 20 years and used to make Mrs. Atkins do everything so she left. HORRIBLE! They should have left Mr. Ducote at the school with Mrs. Atkins. Even though the teachers are great, we hope things change soon or else we'll be going to a different school.

Posted December 07, 2009
If you're a military family looking for a good school near Fort Polk, this is the one! We moved our kids from on post to Pickering and we just love it here! Test scores are good, teachers are great, staff is good and very supportive of military.

Pickering Elementary School 0

Posted December 03, 2009
Hello, First of all PES is a wonderful school. There have been so many impovements since last year. The first place it starts is with our principal Mr. Ducote. He is a wonderful man. Mr Ducote is so involved with the students and staff. Mr. Ducote will always try to help with any problem you have. The teachers are also wonderful with the students.Overall this is a GREAT school.

Pickering Elementary School 5

Posted September 09, 2009
My family loves PES! It really is a great school. It starts at the top: Mr. Decote and Mrs. Atkins are very kind people who are really there for the kids. The teachers seem to enjoy what they are doing as well. The secretaries are friendly to everyone. It just seems like everyone really cares. I highly recommend you check out PES if you are moving to Vernon Parish.

Posted August 27, 2009
This school is awesome. I have heard some people say negative things about PES, but I have never had any problems with any of the staff. I want to say that the secretaries that work there are the ones that face every complain head on and they are always willing to help no matter what the problem is. HOORAY for the Secretaries.

Pickering Elementary School
116 Lebleu Road, Leesville, LA  71446
Last modified Pickering Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pickering Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top